PDA

View Full Version : What a pile of crud

XabbaRus
09-14-05, 07:37 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4244646.stm

I like the bit about the sophisticated Chinese made drone...

What a joke, you see the picture.

The only truth here is that it was made in China along with the several thousand others sold in hobby stores around the world.

I have one very similar to it and though it can carry a small camera, I'd hardly call it able to carry a sophisticated wide angle camera.

That plane is also electric powered so its endurance if anything like the hobby planes will be about 10 to 15 minutes and range of maybe a 1000 feet.

Hmmm, Don't ya just love propaganda...

Kapitan
09-14-05, 07:42 AM
LMFAO i saw one of these plane in a hobbie shop for £33.99 :rotfl:

The Avon Lady
09-14-05, 07:57 AM
Just a reminder that Lebanese terrorist group Hizbalah has twice flown Iranian made UAVs over Israel's border and back during the past year. More info here (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/mohajer.htm).

jumpy
09-14-05, 08:57 AM
When I lived in Bahrain, to fly a radio-controlled airplane required a special licence/permit from the Ministry of the Interior. Preasumably this was so not just any old tom, dick or harry could get one load it with a bit of C4, then fly it into some official/dignatory/or the King etc.
Funny thing was, the model kit was ok, just the controler equipement that needed a licence, but only if it was for an aircraft... if it were for a car (which uses the same basic setup of radio control unit, receiver and servos) there was no problem with aquiring the bits for directing the vehicle :roll:

Neptunus Rex
09-14-05, 09:31 AM
RC planes like that shown are used as targets for training with shoulder fired anti-air missiles.

The Avon Lady
09-14-05, 09:32 AM
RC planes like that shown are used as targets for training with shoulder fired anti-air missiles.
What do they hone in on? :-?

XabbaRus
09-14-05, 10:24 AM

Hmmm, that's a new one, considering the IR signature of one of those electric planes is sweet FA.

Look this whole raid is an attempt by the Pakistani security forces to show they are doing something.

Now if they had shown a decent size glow-fuel powered plane I could believe it.

This is the point of my thread that the it is an obvious show by the Pakistanis. What is amusing is how all the news sites including the BBC are wowed by the "UAV"...Various places I have read about this seem to step up the capabilities of this model plane with each publication I read.

Can't wait to see the news tonight...might even phone them up and ask them if they can find me a £2 note.

bradclark1
09-14-05, 02:00 PM
On sale for $149.95
On sale for $329.95 with eyecam.

http://www.rctoys.com/vextreme.php

Imagine flying your own quiet and lightweight airplane through parks and baseball fields. The Vortex Extreme offers effortless videography while flying at speeds perfect for the grassy field of your choice. While the Vortex Extreme flies as effortlessly as the Vortex, the Vortex Extreme adds color aerial video, increased control and advanced performance. While still great for beginners, the Vortex Extreme will excite you with its advanced capabilities

The Avon Lady
09-14-05, 02:56 PM
On sale for $149.95
On sale for $329.95 with eyecam.

http://www.rctoys.com/vextreme.php

Imagine flying your own quiet and lightweight airplane through parks and baseball fields. The Vortex Extreme offers effortless videography while flying at speeds perfect for the grassy field of your choice. While the Vortex Extreme flies as effortlessly as the Vortex, the Vortex Extreme adds color aerial video, increased control and advanced performance. While still great for beginners, the Vortex Extreme will excite you with its advanced capabilities
Launched from your car, it can fly ahead and spot available parking spaces. Wow!

Wim Libaers
09-14-05, 02:56 PM

Hmmm, that's a new one, considering the IR signature of one of those electric planes is sweet FA.

If you want to use them to simulate real planes for IR missile training, you could just attach a flare or some heating elements to it (depending on desired intensity).

bradclark1
09-14-05, 05:03 PM
Actually for a local area attack or defence it's not a bad thing to have. An eye in the sky is an eye in the sky wether it cost $300 or $300,000.
Probably just someones toy though.