PDA

View Full Version : Deck gun aiming point?

von Buelow
09-06-05, 03:14 PM
Seems I waste a lot of ammo shooting at engine rooms and targets that go BOOM, because I like the secondaries, but should I be conentrating on the waterline as perscribed by the community manual? And does it work?

Fishmachine
09-06-05, 04:08 PM
I always aim below the waterline, into areas where fuel bunkers are supposed to be. It's the quickest way to sink a ship. With a succesful shot it will break in half and explode. Engine room is always close to the fuel bunker, so it's also natural target.
Also, hitting below waterline causes fastests flooding so it's the best even if you don't hit fuel bunkers.
Hitting cargo can cause some spectacular fires, but no serious damage to the ship. Aiming at the command posts can at least slow down ship, but I see no point if it's in range of accurate fire.

Sawdust
09-06-05, 04:36 PM
There was no "All of the Above" answer! :P

But, I think that aiming for the waterline seems to work best. I also had good luck once or twice by shooting the smokestack of cargo ship. (I like to think that the smoke stack fell into the engine and caused an explosion, but it may've been a coincidence.)

zombiewolf
09-06-05, 06:07 PM
:|\ I like to get the command personnel wasted :rotfl:

Detritus
09-06-05, 06:28 PM
Below the waterline, mostly. If I'm finishing off a ship, I start by bombarding the spot where the torpedo hit. It's already severely damaged and little more often does the trick, especially with tankers. Actually, I start by getting rid off the gun stations first :yep: While at it, I usually fire at the cargo couple of times to see if it'd blow up. It does work, shooting at the deck cargo, though not always . I just finished off a C2 with a five shots from 105mm after hitting the rear of the ship with torp. Nice.

SmokinTep
09-07-05, 05:40 AM
Depends on the year. If before they become armed, I will aim for the waterline. If they are armed, I will try and take long shots at the gun emplacement first.

HundertzehnGustav
09-07-05, 05:45 AM
1st priority
GUNS, if the cargo has one. takes 2-10 shots to get them Fubar.
2nd Priority
Waterline
3dr priority
Misc stuff on deck, for fun

:yep:

Alyebard
09-07-05, 06:37 AM
1st priority
GUNS, if the cargo has one. takes 2-10 shots to get them Fubar.
2nd Priority
Waterline
3dr priority
Misc stuff on deck, for fun

:yep:

Yes, IMHO is the best way :up:

Dowly
09-07-05, 07:57 AM
I usually aim for waterline, in the bow if possible. I like to think that the flooding is heavier if I shoot hole in the bow as the ship is moving on 5+ knots. DonĀ“t know if it`s modelled in game, tho.

I also like to blow up the smokestack and everything on deck.

silent_otto
09-07-05, 08:17 AM
My guess is that if the compartments are modelled in the ships (as they seem to be, since we all know how long it takes sometimes for them to sink) then you should be firing all along the waterline, so as to flood all the different compartments, shouldn't you?

von Buelow
09-07-05, 09:36 AM
re: different compartments... good idea... :up: but also a BIG & unrepariable hole in one compartment would be just as nice.

Anyways, tried out the waterline technique with AWESOME results - thanks all! :rock: :arrgh!:

U-104
09-07-05, 11:45 AM
No one is firing at the masts?

Sailor Steve
09-07-05, 11:48 AM
There was no "All of the Above" answer! :P
Nor was there "None of the above". I let the crew do the shooting, and let them aim where they will. The results are a lot wilder that way.

ICBM
09-07-05, 12:26 PM
Now we are on topic, what does shooting at the bridge exactly do?
Will the ship become unsteerable or something?

And btw, I presume the people here talking about destroying the gun platforms are not using RuB? In Rub a few shells will really ruin your day, you cannot dive deep and are likely to be crushed when even trying to...

Smoker59er
09-07-05, 12:53 PM
interesting question...
I first shoot at the command deck and then shoot below the water line. My thought is to stop them from calling for help. Not sure if this is modled in the game or not, but better safe than sorry.

Smoker59er

U-104
09-07-05, 01:19 PM
Thats what I due to and I think it does :hmm:

Twelvefield
09-07-05, 01:46 PM
I've stopped using the deck gun altogether.

The last couple of times I've used the deck gun, a long time ago, I did what Sailor Steve has suggested, and let the gun crew choose their own target, to simulate the inaccuracy of the deck gun. Then RUB changed the firing time, but I had stopped using the deck gun before then.

My "house rule" is to only fire the deck gun to finish off targets that are already wounded (or to fire starshells). However, either the weather has been universally bad when I am tracking lone merchants (not that I see many of those anymore), or else if the weather is good, then the target is guarded by warships.

A long time ago, I routinely fired at the bridge. What happens is that either the target stops zig-zagging, or it starts to steam in a circle for a while. Infrequently, it would stop from a bridge hit, so more or less I believe that a bridge hit jams the rudder. I also liked toppling the smokestacks, as I believe that helps the engine room evolve into flame a little faster.

Detritus
09-07-05, 02:37 PM
And btw, I presume the people here talking about destroying the gun platforms are not using RuB? In Rub a few shells will really ruin your day, you cannot dive deep and are likely to be crushed when even trying to...

Don't know if Rub improves enemy accuracy but I've no problems with vanilla 1.4b in taking out the guns with a shot or two. Fire at 2000+ meters and your pretty safe. They always miss the first shot anyway, giving you time to correct your fire, and beyond 2500m they are really quite hopeless.

von Buelow
09-08-05, 09:53 AM
anyone else with a vote before I let this topic fade away...?

Type941
09-08-05, 10:02 AM
waterline, or even below it actually. Seems to slow them down. early war, when it's more of a practice range type of thing, I would load a lot of shots right into the bow, under waterline, and the ship will start digging into water and slow down nicely.

ICBM
09-09-05, 02:07 PM
waterline, or even below it actually. Seems to slow them down. early war, when it's more of a practice range type of thing, I would load a lot of shots right into the bow, under waterline, and the ship will start digging into water and slow down nicely.

Can anyone confirm that shooting at the bow while the ship speeds forward causes it to sink faster?

That would be awesome.

chrisy
09-10-05, 07:15 AM
im all for the waterline , boats dont float when there full off water do they. but they still float if the decks ablaze. :D

Detritus
09-10-05, 10:55 AM
Shooting at, or more like below the waterline is the recommended way indeed. But testing the deck cargo doesn't hurt either. Sometimes the ships have explosives or whatnot on the deckand they make impressive damage when hit. And it's fun as heck. Although, to have full effect depends largely on how much damage the ship has already taken.

Der Teddy Bar
09-10-05, 01:44 PM
In SHIII it makes no difference where you attack the target. If a ship takes 10 rounds to sink by shooting at the water line, you will find that it will take 10 rounds to sink when shooting at the ships super structure.

Damo1977
09-10-05, 06:05 PM
If the ship has no gun,
I will shoot at the waterlin and while waiting for my gun to reload, I will use the AA guns to explode the cargo on the ships.

Kpt. Lehmann
09-10-05, 06:36 PM
Even if you tell the crew to aim at a point they are rather innefective at getting it done.

IMHO the Kaleun generally didn't man the gun himself so I usually don't. I let the crew bang away at the target.