PDA

View Full Version : No weather

Shakermaker
09-04-05, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone,

Haven't been here in a while. Hope you're all doing fine.

I installed SHIII and the 1.4 patch on my new rig. Runs dandy, except for one thing: the weather doesn't change. I did 4 or 5 patrols and all in perfect weather. That does take the challenge out of it. I scrolled through the sticky about problems still persisting after 1.4 but couldnt find anyone else with the same problem. I do remember that people were having the same problem during patch 1.1 and 1.2. Any solutions?

My specs:
Asus A8N SLI
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2x 512MB dual channel
Club3D X850XT (5.8 cats)

Sawdust
09-04-05, 04:57 PM
It could be just chance that the weather has been good. You might make a note of the wind speed and fog level and see if there are any variations at all over the next few patrols. If the wather is the same even to that level of detail, then there may be a problem.

Shakermaker
09-04-05, 05:01 PM
It could be just chance that the weather has been good. You might make a note of the wind speed and fog level and see if there are any variations at all over the next few patrols. If the wather is the same even to that level of detail, then there may be a problem.

It's the same weather, all the time. I keep checking my weather reports, but it's never changing. Clear, wind 5 knots. I started summer 1940, but it's the midst of february now, and even in the North Atlantic the sea is like a mirror. I am suspecting a glitch/bug, since there were more people with this problem some time ago.

Damo1977
09-04-05, 05:46 PM
That is strange I am patched to 1.4 and use SH3cmdr, and the weather does change.....Never been through a WHOLE patrol with flat calm seas and I have gone through a fair few patrols (& careers) :lol: .

Kalach
09-04-05, 07:14 PM
I've heard that saving will reset the weather timer, causing the weather not too change. But unless you're saving constantly I don't think it would be much of a real problem. ?

tycho102
09-04-05, 08:40 PM
Yup. When you load a game, the weather timer is reset. SO! If you like your current weather, make sure you save and exit and reload every 48 hours. :ping:

gdogghenrikson
09-04-05, 08:47 PM
perfect weather..and you complaining?? :hmm:

urseus
09-04-05, 09:03 PM
Yup. When you load a game, the weather timer is reset. SO! If you like your current weather, make sure you save and exit and reload every 48 hours. :ping:

That cant be right.

I dont think it resets, i dont think its on a sliding scale of level. Its random.

DreamWizard
09-04-05, 11:24 PM
Check out what Jungman has to say in the threads below about the weather. He has done a bit of digging into the game files and knows what he is talking about. The problem with the weather is in how the devs implemented it. The change weather timer in the game dosn't have a save game component so it resets each time you reload a save game.

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=39554&highlight=weather

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=40509&highlight=weather

Shakermaker
09-05-05, 03:50 AM
ah, thanks guys. I'll try a full patrol without saving and report back here.

Redbear
09-05-05, 09:37 AM
Hi Shakermaker. I had a problem with weather not changing too. I don't think it sounds the same as yours, but I'll share it with you for what it's worth. I found that although I had applied the official patches up to 1.4 while "in port" during a running canpaign, the weather was locked in just like yours. I had to abandon my current campaign, and start a new one on the patched game. Since you are starting on a new rig, this may not apply, but by chance did you save an old campaign file and transfer it to the new computer? Anyway, maybe a new campaign will help. I know how frustrating the lack of weather changes can be! Good luck and good hunting!

Shakermaker
09-05-05, 01:03 PM
No dice, people.

I started a new career (with a new account even), patrolled for 96 hours in-game, but got clear skies, no percipitations, nog fog, no wind. I might wanna try a re-install by now....

kiwi_2005
09-05-05, 01:09 PM
I have a problem with patch 1.4 i can no longer disable the auto target, even checking it in options does not disable it when playing the game??? anyone else have this problem and is there a fix for this. I dont like auto targeting it spoils the realisim.

Shakermaker
09-05-05, 02:47 PM
I have a problem with patch 1.4 i can no longer disable the auto target, even checking it in options does not disable it when playing the game??? anyone else have this problem and is there a fix for this. I dont like auto targeting it spoils the realisim.

You might have an adorable baby, but PLEASE don't hijack my thread.

My problem is: I have clear skies, no precipitations, no fog, no wind 24/7.

FAdmiral
09-05-05, 02:55 PM
After a save or start, the game starts to calculate a % of if it
should change weather after 5 hrs. It keeps doing this till
a change occurs and the weather will change. There is always
a chance that this will never happen and the weather won't
change. I had that happen for 2 complete patrols. Perfect
weather on both. Then my next was absolutely horrible.
Storms and hvy seas during the complete patrol. My last patrol
has had some of both. Started bad but got good and stayed good.
BUT, the weather will reset to 0 after every save and restart.
So the weather will take longer to make any kind of change, that is,
if it does at all.....

JIM

kiwi_2005
09-05-05, 03:22 PM
You might have an adorable baby, but PLEASE don't hijack my thread. My problem is: I have clear skies, no precipitations, no fog, no wind 24/7.

Yeah sorry bout that. I think Fadmiral has solved your problem he's right, i actually save when theres rough weather just so the rough weather wont go away and it doesn't. Two patrols now with stormy seas right through. I love it! Makes it way harder when at persicope depth and trying to steady the scope :rock:

As for the baby hes actually my grandson i hope my son doesn't mind! :-) I dont know whether being a grandad at 40 makes me old or older!

Shakermaker
09-05-05, 05:32 PM
As for the baby hes actually my grandson i hope my son doesn't mind! :-) I dont know whether being a grandad at 40 makes me old or older!

That makes you young. Well, a young granddad anyway. Beautiful grandchild then!

kiwi_2005
09-05-05, 06:50 PM
Thankyou shakermaker :D

Shakermaker
12-16-05, 06:40 PM
Sorry to dig this one up, but I got so enthusiastic about the news of SHIV in development, that I decided to play some SHIII again. And still, after a fresh install and a fresh patch, I get clear skies and no wind again. Does this really mean I just have to play for a while, until I get some mean old storms? Oh well, too bad for Tommy then .... They will taste the lead from my deckgun :rock:

Ducimus
12-16-05, 07:14 PM
It's the same weather, all the time. I keep checking my weather reports, but it's never changing. Clear, wind 5 knots.

I wish i had that problem. ALl i ever get is 15 knot winds and heavy rain. Its impossible to get any decent torpedo shot 80% of the time i play :damn:

Shakermaker
12-16-05, 08:18 PM
It's the same weather, all the time. I keep checking my weather reports, but it's never changing. Clear, wind 5 knots.

I wish i had that problem. ALl i ever get is 15 knot winds and heavy rain. Its impossible to get any decent torpedo shot 80% of the time i play :damn:

It just gets too easy, that's the ping err thing.

Shakermaker
12-18-05, 12:11 PM
I spotted my first 'weather' today! It wasn't much, a light fog, but it's the most weather I had so far.

Krupp
12-18-05, 12:53 PM
Couple weeks ago I decided to start using maximum TC of 128. In my first patrol that lasted around 40 days, I was amazed how often the weather changed (can't tell any other reason for it). Before, with the 1024 TC there was storms that lasted like 2 or 3 weeks. Not anymore. I've done 6 patrols (228 days) so far and it's ok, weather changes and spotting in easier (or should I say better) due the lower TC. Two hits with one strike... (Thank you Avon Lady and your tests about TC :) )

Shakermaker
12-18-05, 01:00 PM
Couple weeks ago I decided to start using maximum TC of 128. In my first patrol that lasted around 40 days, I was amazed how often the weather changed (can't tell any other reason for it). Before, with the 1024 TC there was storms that lasted like 2 or 3 weeks. Not anymore. I've done 6 patrols (228 days) so far and it's ok, weather changes and spotting in easier (or should I say better) due the lower TC. Two hits with one strike... (Thank you Avon Lady and your tests about TC :) )

And you're playing an un-modded version? The only thing I added were some WWII songs for the grammaphone.

Krupp
12-18-05, 01:02 PM
I have IUB 1.02....un modded version :nope:

Dar
12-19-05, 03:44 PM
I'm a newbie (just bought SH3 last week) and installed the RTM game and the 1.4b patch immediately before playing. I'm on my the fourth patrol of my first "career"--it's January, 1940.

The weather in the first two patrols was uniformly nice and clear, but the seas got rougher in the next two. I haven't been able to use the deck gun at all, forcing me to waste my precious torpedoes on smaller merchants--and really aggravating me when I have to use an additional torp to administer the coup de grace! I am forced to ignore fishing boats, et al, because they are definitely not worth a torpedo. :stare:

Additionally, I've been setting the detonators on the torpedoes from magnetic to impact because I seem to recall reading somewhere that the rough seas will affect the running of the torpedoes and the draft of the targetted ships. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

In any case, I certainly have not had your "problem" with continuous clear weather! In fact, after the howling wind and lashing rain my crew endured last night while stalking a C2 Cargo--which we nearly collided with as visibility was reduced to 300m!--I'd welcome that problem! :)

Hartmann
12-20-05, 10:27 PM
I have the problem that in the patrols the weather donĀ“t change often and in the last patrols... a lot of days with the same weather :nope:

And looking the files i found that In the single missions the weather settings are different of the campaing . :hmm:

why ???

Some one has noticied if the weather has more changes staying a lot of days at the sea with the built in missions ????

Is the campaign weather different ??

Academy Convoy Attack Mission

[Mission]
Fog=0
FogRand=0
Clouds=1
CloudsRand=1
Precip=0
PrecipRand=0
WindHeading=95
WindSpeed=2.000000
WindRand=1
WeatherRndInterval=2
SeaType=0

Gibraltar------------------

Fog=1
FogRand=1
Clouds=1
CloudsRand=1
Precip=0
PrecipRand=1
WindHeading=0
WindSpeed=5.000000
WindRand=0
WeatherRndInterval=3
SeaType=0

Campaign RND------------

[Mission]

Fog=0
FogRand=0
Clouds=0
CloudsRand=0
Precip=0
PrecipRand=0
WindHeading=0
WindSpeed=5.000000
WindRand=0
WeatherRndInterval=5
SeaType=0

andy_311
12-21-05, 11:41 AM
I wish I had clear weather,it seems the oly decent weather I get is when I leave port.Then sail straight into rough seas rain and heavy fog and when I do get some fine clear weather there's nothing to sink.

Marhkimov
12-21-05, 12:47 PM
It's just bad luck... Don't worry, good luck is just around the corner. ;)

MENTAT
06-09-06, 07:31 AM
Anyways, i have realized that when changing max TC to <2048> accomplishing mission goals are lagged. What i mean is after reaching my mission grid, i create a route and adjust my speed as to complete the patrol in 24 hours. I guess everyone is doing the same, however, when i set the TC to 2048, even i reach at the end of my last waypoint, mission log says i still have to complete the 24 hours patrol in the designated grid??

This has something to do with the weather also. Rough weather lasts for days in my patrols and i hate it. Maybe lower TC values will do.