PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd share a few snaps of SH3

cmdrk
08-17-05, 01:14 PM
You never know what you might see in the game.
Here is a graphics oddity.
http://members.socket.net/~klhulett/files/FloatingFlag.png

Then there is how the game models physics ie ships sinking and the like.
http://members.socket.net/~klhulett/files/SunkShip.png

I'd seen two ships sink like this. Another amusing incident was when a torpedo hit blew a army truck off the C2. The ship sailed on until I put another in to her. Tried to get a snap of it but it turned out black :cry:

Maybe you've seen this before. It was new to me. :)

Ula Jolly
08-17-05, 01:35 PM
THose aren't oddities, those are features :arrgh!:

Zie Chuckinator
08-17-05, 02:19 PM
or it shows how well those ships were built and/or their camoflage painting :-j

RAM
08-17-05, 05:48 PM
Talking about nice features (and not funny "buggy" happenings, but funny realistic stuff)...

I am playing RUB 1.43 . In my 6th patrol or so it's mid april, I sail out of Kiel and I receive a message saying there's an enemy taskforce stationed in one of the fiords at Norway. I say "what the heck" to me, and I forget about my assigned patrol zone, setting a course to said fiord in the hopes that the enemy TF will stay there for the two days of sail time I need to reach the spot.

I arrive and indeed, there's the enemy TF. Several tribal class DDs , one Fiji class CL and three Troop Transports. All stationary. To make the story a short one: I penetrated the TF , and got a good shoot at the Fiji and one of the troop transports. The transport broke in two, and the fiji (which had started to move after seeing the bubble trail of the torpedo sent to her) was hit amidships, setting her dead on the water. Another torpedo sank her.

Then I sank two DDs (they were steaming at full speed towards the general area I had sank the Fiji in, and let me shots under 1000m without ever noticing me). With one more DD searching in the wrong area, I then came back to find the remaining Troop Transports had not moved.

They were closely packed together in a line, so I could fire two of my torpedoes at the same time, to diferent ships, pointed just under their bridge, 3m depth impact pistol setting. I planned to send one, or two of the remaining torpedos should any (or both) ships survive their first hit.

First impact: the ship gets a big fire and starts setting low on the water but it seemed mostly OK. I thought I was forced to send another torpedo on her, but I had not put the settings I wanted on either of the two remaining torpedoes I had trained on her, so I waited to see how the second torpedo did on the other ship.

Second impact, some 30 seconds later: the impacted ship was blown out of the water. It was lit like a christmas tree. Really ,that was the most amazing explosion I've witnessed in SHIII thus far. Lots of debris was sent out to the sky as I watched in amazement through the periscope...

And then came one of the funniest things I've seen in the game. As I said both ships were "parked" merely dozens of metres for each other. One big burning chunk of whatever it was fell directly over the aft deck of the ship I had hit first, exploded there and started a chain of explosions that ripped the whole ship apart. The transport broke in two and sank in few seconds...thus sparing me the torpedo I thought was needed to sent her under ;).

Unfortunately when coming down from norway something weird happened. I was in 1024 TC when some screeching sounds started, got a lot of warnings of damage and so, and then the "you're sunk" screen came up. It said I had collided (but not with what...¿?). I take this is some kind of bug with the game as I had no warning at all...so I'm not going to restart.

I'll pay another visit to that fiord if I receive the "task force" message again (if not I won't...even if killed by a bug, if I don't "know" by a report that something's there, I won't go there) and see if I can achieve a similar success...however the part with the debris from an exploding ship killing another for me is something I will probably miss...

would've been a wonderful story to write in my log book :D :D :D

stratege
08-17-05, 06:01 PM
You get sun by:

- minefield
- submarine nets

They dont show up in RUb

Elder-Pirate
08-17-05, 06:30 PM
You get sun by:

- minefield
- submarine nets

They dont show up in RUb

I believe with the screeching sounds he hit a sub net and at 1024 thats all she wrote "Dear John" ---or--- Davey Jones Locker. :damn: :lol:

Elder-Pirate
08-17-05, 06:34 PM
This is my ole girl:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Myrustbucket.jpg

Rustbucket U-106 a Lorient wonder. ;)

Ain't she purdy. :-j

Sawdust
08-17-05, 07:49 PM
Nice screenshot. What's 1XB mean?

Stymnus
08-17-05, 08:01 PM

I suspect he means IXB (not 1XB)

Sawdust
08-17-05, 08:03 PM
I suspect he means IXB (not 1XB)
Ah, of course; I should've thought of that. Thanks.

Elder-Pirate
08-17-05, 08:48 PM
:oops: :oops: Sorry :oops: for I did mean IXB not 1XB.

And I was compleatly sober when I edited that pic. :roll:

Allthough in Roman numerals IX = 9 so I guess you could say I was a little bit right for I had 1=1 and X = 10 so the letter ( number in my case :-j ) to the left of the next letter you subtract so 1-10=9. :|\ :88) :rotfl:

...............................runs as crowd throws rotten tomatoes.

:-j :lurk:

Ula Jolly
08-18-05, 03:40 AM
Holy crappers! STATIONARY TF!?
In a Norwegian fjord?! That's BEGGING to be sunk! :D

I shall plunder your booty! Yarrg!

I've experienced the same colliding-thing without RuB. Only once, but very tiresome.

RAM
08-18-05, 03:48 AM
Holy crappers! STATIONARY TF!?
In a Norwegian fjord?! That's BEGGING to be sunk! :D

Yep. Same thing came to my mind when I read the report...but it was still there two days later ;). Don't recall the exact date, but was at the 3rd or 4th week of April, in a fiord NE from the two allied ports in mid-Norway at that time.

I guess they were conducting some kind of re-embarking of troops, as there were three troopships there...;)

U-104
08-19-05, 04:18 PM
Rustbucket U-106 a Lorient wonder. ;) Hay I've got U-104 :D

Elder-Pirate
08-19-05, 06:10 PM
Rustbucket U-106 a Lorient wonder. ;) Hay I've got U-104 :D

Ya wanna drag race ? :rotfl: