PDA

View Full Version : Weather Changes in Game

Gunfighter34
08-10-05, 11:18 AM
I haven't sunk many ships on this patrol, but my tonnage numbers are looking pretty decent (for me, anyway) playing at high realism with RUb 1.43 installed. First off, I came across a "Large Cargo" and nailed him with two eels for 17k tonnage in the bank. Then I came across the first convoy I've seen in FOREVER and manage to sink two C-2s and damage a C-2 and C-3.

I was down to one external eel left for the stern tube so I decided to ditch the convoy before the corvettes found me, go to my patrol grid, then RTB and cash in my tonnage. Well, on the way to the grid I come across ANOTHER large cargo. I hit him with my one remaining torpedo and he starts sagging to stern and drops to 0 knots. I've been sitting with him for two days but the weather hasn't changed ONE BIT.

How long does it take for weather to shift in this game? A couple of 88s should be enough to finish this guy off!!! ARGH! What makes it even more frustrating is that the sea isn't that bad. Conditions are overcast but no fog, and wind speed only 13. The sea is choppy but not terrible. :(

SmokinTep
08-10-05, 11:42 AM
If he hasn't gone down yet, he won't. I think you are screwed. I have never seen the weather change for me while waiting to put a few shells into a helples merchant.

You may have to let her go..............

Gizzmoe
08-10-05, 12:04 PM
Maybe you want to use the deck gun and flak in any weather condition? :) Download this and unpack it to sh3\data\submarine:
http://home.arcor.de/gizzmoe/files/Bad_weather_guns.rar

Gunfighter34
08-10-05, 12:08 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

SmokinTep, don't say that! Well, I will give her another day and then pull off and finish the patrol. Alas, sinking this monster would've given me my best tonnage total ever, too. <sigh>

Thanks for the idea, Gizzmoe, and believe me it's very, VERY tempting, but I'm not sure using that would be "sporting". :damn:

Nopileo
08-10-05, 12:09 PM
... or you can simply edit you (sub).cfg file to allow for gun usage in any weather manually (StormConditions=15,1.0;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]).

But anyway I think you can't do this while on patrol. You'll have to wait until you dock, and then edit the cfg-files. Or is this not correct?

SteamWake
08-10-05, 12:16 PM
... or you can simply edit you (sub).cfg file to allow for gun usage in any weather manually (StormConditions=15,1.0;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]).

But anyway I think you can't do this while on patrol. You'll have to wait until you dock, and then edit the cfg-files. Or is this not correct?

Do so at your own risk (during patrol). Most likely it will cause a corrupted save.

The weather will change eventually (random) it may take weeks though.

Gizzmoe
08-10-05, 12:17 PM
You'll have to wait until you dock, and then edit the cfg-files. Or is this not correct?

I donĀ“t know, you could be right with that.

Ula Jolly
08-10-05, 12:36 PM
Or it could take hours. ;D
Have patience... if there's anything you should learn, it's to have patience.

Nopileo
08-10-05, 12:36 PM
I just tried to edit the surface depth recently while I was in a patrol (I did quit and restart in between of course) to be able to run with decks awash, but that had no effect until the next patrol. Maybe the the save game system copies some kind of temp-files or something with all the start-settings while in patrol?

OakGroove
08-10-05, 03:59 PM
As is, weather is completely random, and there is only 1 global setting. There is no way to tell the duration of a weather condition, and changes from one extreme to another can be instant.

A weather forecast implementation would be helpful, i.e. barometric pressure and humidity indicators. And while we' re at it, to make the whole thing look reasonable, a realistic weather model based on typical average for geographical location and season.

Redbear
08-13-05, 09:00 AM
I agree, weather is random. Could change quickly or stay the same for days. I would suggest, Gunfighter, that you follow your target until fuel, location, etc. forces you to stop. I had a similar situation. I damaged a C3 cargo in a convoy in bad weather. It continued to limp along at reduced speed, falling far behind the convoy. I had no torpedos left, but didn't want to give up on the kill, so I followed her for more than two days. Sure enough the weather cleared, winds died down and we could finish her off with the deck gun. Good hunting! :up:

John Channing
08-13-05, 09:50 AM
The code does cause the weather to change after a set number of days (not going to say how many... why ruin the suspence) no matter where you are, but, if you save, the clock on that set time period resets to zero.

JCC

Nopileo
08-13-05, 12:25 PM
The code does cause the weather to change after a set number of days (not going to say how many... why ruin the suspence) no matter where you are, but, if you save, the clock on that set time period resets to zero.

JCC

Thanks for this info! I didn't know that. Then the clock resets when you save, and not only if you reload that saved game? Meaning that if you keep saving all the time, the weather will never change?

Thanks.

Nightowl
08-13-05, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I find that MOST of the time, if you save, the weather will not change, BUT I have on at least one occassion even tho I kept on saving often while waiting to see if my dammaged target would finally go down, poof! the weather suddenly changed, I was surprised and was able to finish it off finally with my deck gun. It's true, it does take LOTS of patience.... -Nightowl (What a Great overall game!) :sunny: