PDA

View Full Version : Using Omega drivers (ATI Radeon)

vois2
08-07-05, 10:24 PM
To date, I've used only Dell-factory installed ATI drivers (comes with ATI Control Panel) and I have updated to and including the Catalyst 5.7 driver control system.

I read a bit about Omega drivers, and wanted to ask opinions here of those who use or have used Omega drivers.

Do you think I'll be able to get much more out of my performance with Omega drivers? I will give my system specs below. Thanks!

Purchase date: 18 March 2005. Dell Dimension 8400
[ Pent-4 630 3.0 GHz (i925 chipset w/hyperthreading) ]
[ Windows XP Home ]
[ 1 GB RAM DDR2 ]
[ graphics card 128MB Radeon x300 SE on PCI-express]

Gairith
08-07-05, 10:56 PM
I used them for my laptop and it got Call of Duty and SH3 to work on it.

Dowly
08-08-05, 12:05 AM
I use `em and I like `em! :up:

Gizzmoe
08-08-05, 12:16 AM
They are a faster. You could try some of Omega´s built-in Direct3D profiles, like "Low quality" or "Benchmark". But don´t forget that the X300SE is a very bad graphics card, you should upgrade sooner or later.

Rubini
08-08-05, 12:19 AM
I use them since cat 4.0 and after that I have a better image quality without fps drops. The omega drivers rocks! :rock:

Rubini.

Fishmachine
08-08-05, 11:52 AM
Yup... Omega's rocks ;)
I use them ever since my GF2MX and now with R9550, and they still work fine.

Holger
08-08-05, 01:24 PM
Talking about omega drivers.....

I recently installed the drivers, but now i get my fps in the upper right corner on every game i play. I've tried to find a option in the omega sys tray to disable this but i haven't had any luck so far. Can somebody please help me ?

vois2
08-08-05, 02:06 PM
Thanks to all for comments about the Omega drivers for Radeon.

I was surprised but disappointed that I can't install the Omega drivers on my machine. (Emphasis on the *I*...) I followed their instructions to the letter, including the subset of instructions Omega refers to in using Driver Cleaner.

Since my machine has OEM Dell-installed Windows-compliant drivers with ATI Control Panel, this included:

(0) physically disconnect from Internet ... check
(1) download & install latest version of Driver Cleaner ... check
(2) auto-update Driver Clearner ... check
(3) reboot, then Uninstall ATi Control Panel through Windows Add/Remove Programs ... check
(4) then Uninstall existing driver set through Windows Add/Remove Programs ... check
(5) use msconfig to reboot in SAFEBOOT mode ... check
(6) WinXP auto detects lack of drivers and auto-attempts installing them again ... yep, it did
(7) disable virus monitoring programs ... check
(8) run Cab Cleaner (a subfunction of Driver Cleaner) ... check, for both 'XP' and 'SP2' choices.
(9) run Driver Cleaner ... check, for all ATI choices
(10) empty Recycle Bin
(11) Reboot, and install Omega drivers

This resulted in a cacophony of errors, including 'Severe' error of INF Error, Video driver not found.

Anyone have ideas? Anything wrong with my steps above (which were taken verbatim from Driver Cleaner/Omega's instructions)???

Thanks in advance.

Fishmachine
08-08-05, 06:19 PM
Nope, never had such (if any at all) problems with Omega drivers.

Gairith
08-08-05, 06:47 PM
The way I have done it:

Go to the device manager and select your display adapter.
Right click on it and click properties. in this window click on the Driver tab then click uninstall. Once it is done DO NOT restart the system. Install your new driver then restart.

satmax
08-08-05, 10:12 PM
Talking about omega drivers.....

I recently installed the drivers, but now i get my fps in the upper right corner on every game i play. I've tried to find a option in the omega sys tray to disable this but i haven't had any luck so far. Can somebody please help me ?

Holger, there IS an option to toggle FPS display. Although I'm not using Omega drivers right now, I did use the latest release and I was able to toggle it so I could see if my FPS improved in WWII Online. I then turned it off. How did I turn it off? I can't remember, but I do believe it was in a menu for tweaking or benchmarking... Sorry I can't give exacts, I just know you can toggle that display.

Gizzmoe
08-08-05, 11:39 PM

Right-click on the ATI Tray tool, Tools&Options, OSD, deselect "Enable OnScreen Display".

Andy
08-09-05, 04:09 AM
Omega receives support from ATI. ATI drivers natively support laptops but the proper entries in the .ini are removed. Omega re-enables the drivers and has produced some remarkable results for ATI and Nvidia users.

Holger
08-09-05, 06:49 AM
Thanks a bunch Gizzmoe!! :lol: