PDA

View Full Version : Need Tips from 1x Uber Commanders

kiwi_2005
08-05-05, 07:16 PM
Kapitans,
I just built a second system for playing SH3 at 1x. I need advice although im told by family members i need help :-) Anyways building another system just for this purpose is vital i say! So any tips on 1x patrols. I have stocked up on plenty of food, mainly pizza and coke, tobacco, and books for my long patrols.

What is the best way, im thinking start a patrol and leave the computer running 24/7, set waypoints to the objective & have my boat ordered to go to periscope depth when a ship is sighted while im asleep, hopfully she's still be around when i wakeup. Or is it better to play only when awake for a few hrs at a time or how long i can stay up, wouldn't this take forever to reach the objective? If i leave computer running 24/7 and monitor it during the day i should reach my objective point in 2 weeks approx?

Any advice welcome :arrgh!:

Duncan Idaho
08-05-05, 07:38 PM
If you're starting early in the war, you might get away with running unattended, but I don't think it's a great idea. Just my opinion. You'd be better off to be sure to only run it when you're in earshot of the sub, so you can hear what the CE and WO say.

In the later years of the war, running as you stated above would very likely be suicidal, as you're very likely to be detected even if you submerge to Periscope Depth. Ad to that that when you automatically dive, you'd be going whatever speed you set your sub to run at. If you only travel at ahead slow, that wouldn't be so bad, except it would take you ages to get anywhere. If you run faster, when you automatically submerge, you'd be making a lot of noise, increasing the chances you'll be detected by any enemy warship that makes you dive.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Good luck, however you chose to do it. :)

Damo1977
08-06-05, 03:32 AM
There are drugs in this world to help you stay awake, but I can't remember if they are legal :rotfl:

Anyhows goodluck, hope it works well for you :up:

Ula Jolly
08-06-05, 04:58 AM
The refreshment of crew is likely to kill you before the destroyers do ;) If you are to stand a chance, make some modifications to some .cfgs for crew fatigue.
Better yet: Find a friend (preferably three) that you can have in your room for thirty days at the time, to release you from duty sometime. :arrgh!:

don1reed
08-06-05, 10:37 AM
...something you might try...

while still in port, prior to casting off, fast fwd the TC to your real time and begin the game with your time and the SIM time in sync. Once in sync goto 1x.

if you must leave the sim unattended, goto 20m depth and silent running for the length of time you're away. If you're near shore 20m could get you in trouble...just be aware of your surroundings.

Ula Jolly
08-06-05, 01:03 PM
I would advicec the complete opposite:
Fast forward to your time + or - 12 hours. Most attacks were carried out during night, thus you should try to adapt for this. :D

U-1966
08-06-05, 02:03 PM
Get married and then your wife will never let you play SHIII and the problem will be solved. :lol:

kiwi_2005
08-06-05, 08:33 PM
Thanks every one.

Type VII U-14 is now getting ready for deployment, i sail at 7pm tonight (new zealand time) My base is Kiel, I will monitor during my waking hrs, sleep time i will take her down to 20feet travel at slow or silent running.

Ive decided not to use any of the mods for this run its just straight SH3 v1.4b

Thanks again for the tips.

benetofski
08-06-05, 11:23 PM
I have heard of 'total immersion' but this game has really got to you hasnt it? :rotfl:

I think you should now include a 'porta-potty' , block out your windows, substitute the white bulb for a red one, hang a curtain by your bed (sleep in a bunk-bed if possible) substitute Bratwurst and Sauerkraut for the Pizza, oh - and leaving a water tap and an A/C unit running somewhere close by and that should just about complete the overall effect! - AND turn up the PC Speakers to MAX so that you will be awakened by 'ALARMMM' !

Of course I am joking here - but I remember my Flight Sim Days when I almost turned my den into a 747 cockpit... my wife left me! (she did however return when the 4 monitors, pedals and j/s thruster assemblies were donated to the local air-cadets)