PDA

View Full Version : Yes, yet another C2 discussion...

Carcassonne
08-04-05, 02:34 PM
I was playing last night in late '39 and I've noticed that I've only had to use 1 eel per C2 that I've come across. One has been apparently enough. What have I changed? All I've changed is the depth of the eels from a usual 3.5-4 meters deep to 2 meters.

Try it out.

A question for you guys:
Do ships become tougher in the later years of the war. That is to say, would a tanker take more eels to sink in the later years as opposed to say '39? I ask this question because I just finished my first career and it seemed to take 2-3 eels for a T2, yet in the 2 I've come across in '39 thus far, they've been 1 shot kills.

Thoughts? Evidence? "Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...."

Gunfighter34
08-04-05, 02:46 PM
It would make some sense if ships became tougher as the war progressed due to better damage control procedures, new construction methods, and better crew training, but I don't know if what you're experiencing is just a coincidence or is somehow coded into the game. I suspect the former.

I noticed the same thing, though. Just sank a C2 with one eel right at the start of the war in a new career I started, whereas the last few I've encountered in my old career (mid-41) have taken 3 per.

btaft
08-04-05, 03:11 PM
I think the difficulty with the C2 is associated with the "sweet spot". The center of the ship (i.e. the place where the lock centers on) is just forward of this spot. Where as it is directly on the lock point for a C3, T2, Small Merchant, and a few others. So these easily go down with one fish on impact (assuming you have a good solution) without any additional effort. This is due I believe because the fuel tanks + engine room are right on the lock point for these vessels. I have been able to routinely send a C2 to the bottom with a single impact shot by developing the solution, remove the lock for a second to allow the funnel to enter the cross hairs and then fire. This sends the fish right to the sweet spot everytime resulting in the C2 exploding and breaking in half just like the C3's

Col7777
08-04-05, 03:28 PM
btaft,
I think you are right, I've sometimes hit a bigy with one torp and it went down and on other occasions it took 3 or more, I think it does depend on where you hit the damn things.

Ula Jolly
08-04-05, 03:56 PM
I don't want to drag this off topic, but does anyone know what spots are weak on destroyers and frigates? They can't have the most enormous ammo bunkers, but I was hoping I could send off an 8.8 AP in the general direction. :D

Nopileo
08-04-05, 05:42 PM
Search for the 'recognition manual mod' or similar here somewhere. It colour-codes all the ships in the game with sweet spots: Fuel compartments, engines, ammo bunkers, weakest hull sections etc.

I think the SH3 devs have made slight modifications of these areas in the last patch, but it'll still give you a general idea. Or maybe there is a new version made for 1.4b somewhere? I haven't looked lately.

iambecomelife
08-04-05, 05:43 PM
I don't want to drag this off topic, but does anyone know what spots are weak on destroyers and frigates? They can't have the most enormous ammo bunkers, but I was hoping I could send off an 8.8 AP in the general direction. :D

Try shooting under the gun turrets; that's the general location of the ammo bunkers.

Tullaian
08-05-05, 12:26 AM
There is also a degree of randomness associated with the damage. I've had plenty of 1 shot C2 kills , but the other night I had one that took 4 hits and was still struggling along at 1 knot, on fire in multiple locations but I followed it for several hours and it refused to sink. Crew quality maybe ? Not sure but certainly some are harder to sink than others.

To balance it out, the very next C2 split in half on one shot.

Grifter808
08-05-05, 01:04 AM
Under 500 meters (I think the max is 1000) and being abeam of the C2s always seems to work for me. I just highlight the engine room in the recognition manual when the boxes show up and boom! It always takes only 1 torp under ideal conditions. I also set my torps to 4 meters depth and impact only.

It only screws up sometimes when the seas are choppy and the torpedo depth gets muddled.

ShipperS7
08-05-05, 02:31 AM
I think the difficulty with the C2 is associated with the "sweet spot". The center of the ship (i.e. the place where the lock centers on) is just forward of this spot. Where as it is directly on the lock point for a C3, T2, Small Merchant, and a few others. So these easily go down with one fish on impact (assuming you have a good solution) without any additional effort. This is due I believe because the fuel tanks + engine room are right on the lock point for these vessels. I have been able to routinely send a C2 to the bottom with a single impact shot by developing the solution, remove the lock for a second to allow the funnel to enter the cross hairs and then fire. This sends the fish right to the sweet spot everytime resulting in the C2 exploding and breaking in half just like the C3's :up: That's EXACTLY what I do. The dip near the stern is where I aim my fish, though.

Try shooting under the gun turrets; that's the general location of the ammo bunkers. LOL I will never forget the mission I played where I got a lucky shot, discovering the ammo bunker location on a class J by complete accident... :rock:

SmokinTep
08-05-05, 07:05 AM
It all depends on where they hit the ship or go under the keel. I have had magnetic ones break a ship in half, other times not. The closer you can get to the torpedo under the keel, the better.

gAiNiAc
08-05-05, 08:32 AM
On C2's I am just aft of the bridge just forward of the flagstaff, topr set to 4 meters on impact. 5 degrees <> 90.

That seems to break them in half. Prior to this aiming technique I had been using multiple eels to sink C2's.

Seminole
08-05-05, 09:03 AM
There is also a degree of randomness associated with the damage. I've had plenty of 1 shot C2 kills , but the other night I had one that took 4 hits and was still struggling along at 1 knot, on fire in multiple locations but I followed it for several hours and it refused to sink.

I can certainly agree with that. Last night I had a T2 tanker that went dead in the water after being hit. We were in heavy wind,precipitation, and fog...so had to maintain a position between 301 and 399m just to keep it in sight and stay within torpedo detonation distance parameters.

Angle on the bow was 90 degress and I had to put in 7 more torpedos set for magnetic detonation and running 2 feet under the tanker's keel.

Everyone exploded under the tanker, causing massive fires, but the ship simply refused to go down until I was completely out of torpedos. We returned to Brest after a patrol of only one week.

Sometimes the game just likes to screw around with you...especially when you are way ahead of the traditional Aces in tonnage sunk.

Ula Jolly
08-05-05, 10:15 AM
I don't use magnetic anymore, at least not unless I have a huge target. The fuze is simply too bloody annoying. :nope:
I recently had the luckiest shot ever; reckon I must have hit the fuel tanks (didn't aim anywhere special), cos one eel at 4m did all the work on a C2 in fall 1940.

billclifton
08-05-05, 11:57 AM
after getting some one shot kills on the c2s in poor conditions weather wise rushed shots .i started itentionally taking my magnetic shots at less than optimum angles.it seems to work so far.of course that said next c2 i see will probably take 4 fish!

Nopileo
08-05-05, 01:39 PM
after getting some one shot kills on the c2s in poor conditions weather wise rushed shots .i started itentionally taking my magnetic shots at less than optimum angles.it seems to work so far.of course that said next c2 i see will probably take 4 fish!

Yes, the magnetic shots are not required to hit at optimal angles. In fact I've discoved that they are often more successful when fired from 45 degrees or thereabouts.

If you have a chance of firing at optimal angle (90 deg +/- 5) you should set them to 2-3 meters depth and impact - especially early in the war. But also note that early in the war there is a chance that the impact trigger will not detonate at EXACTLY 90 degrees.