PDA

View Full Version : Push em down!

Carcassonne
08-04-05, 12:10 PM
Started my second career the other night. I set sail with my VIIB to my assigned grid. Nothing spectacular happend the entire trip. See ship, aim gun/eels, fire, ship sinks.

Well, on my way home I was out of eels and had only 5 rounds of HE deck ammo. I came across a small merchant and emptied my rounds on her. She fell to 0 knots and was listed severly. I waited for 2 hours game time and she still didn't sink. In frustration I decided to replicate the roman name. I charged her at flank and hit her just fore of the bridge. The blow was enough to get the Enemy Unit Destroyed message. I gave the emergency back command and came off her listing deck. Within 10 minutes game time she keeled up and sank. I even got the renown.

Damage? I took about a 10% hit for the collision which was far less than I expected. I sailed the ramining 600km home and all was well. My 2nd flottilla peers have now given me the nickname "Bull".

Try it sometime, the metal on metal sounds are tortureous when your sound is cranked up :rock:

Shadow9216
08-04-05, 12:13 PM
That's pretty lucky- most of the time a ship sinks due to collision you get nada for it.

Ula Jolly
08-04-05, 12:14 PM
Masterly!
But how do you change between types of ammunition for the gun?

Bort
08-04-05, 12:17 PM
I did that twice actually, once was a small tanker that refused to sink after taking a torpedo and I didn't want to waste another one and I didn't have any deck gun. I took my IXC up to 21kts. and rammed her right in the middle, she split in half and with a loud explosion and my hull integrity down only to 97%. The same thing happened the other time but with a coastal merchant. :arrgh!:

Carcassonne
08-04-05, 12:17 PM
Masterly!

Hit F10 to jump into the gunner seat, then in the bottom right corner you have 4 shells: (left to right) SS, AA, HE, and AP. You click on the icon of the shell you want to use and those are used.

SS = Star shell (much like a flare)
AA = is actaully anti-aircraft and are used by the 8.8cm gun.
HE = high explosive
AP = Armor piercing

Kafka
08-04-05, 12:18 PM
I thought ramming a ship in this game would spell total suicide... :hmm: so it can be done..

Carcassonne
08-04-05, 12:18 PM
That's pretty lucky- most of the time a ship sinks due to collision you get nada for it.

I actually checked my capitains log prior to the ram. I made sure what my last ship destroyed was (C2) and then I proceeded to ram her.

I was pleased to get the renown, but it was so minor the sinking was the real reward.

Carcassonne
08-04-05, 12:20 PM
I thought ramming a ship in this game would spell total suicide... :hmm: so it can be done..

Absolutely :up:

I had a buddy of mine (Adolf Sunkendork) first attempt it with a C2, he drove is u-boat on it's aft deck and parked it...unfortunately for him the C2 never sank under his weight and the previous eels damage.

Kafka
08-04-05, 12:37 PM
Sunkendork :rotfl: brilliant!

Carcassonne
08-04-05, 12:39 PM
Sunkendork :rotfl: brilliant!

Yeah, he was quite pleased with himself when he came up with that one. His name hasn't held true however. He's on his first career 6th patrol and still has met his maker.

SmokinTep
08-04-05, 01:02 PM
:lol: :lol:

Type941
08-04-05, 01:12 PM

When it sinks after hitting you, you get nadda for it. but when you ram it - you get full credit. :up:

Wolfram
08-04-05, 01:19 PM
Masterly!

Hit F10 to jump into the gunner seat, then in the bottom right corner you have 4 shells: (left to right) SS, AA, HE, and AP. You click on the icon of the shell you want to use and those are used.

SS = Star shell (much like a flare)
AA = is actaully anti-aircraft and are used by the 8.8cm gun.
HE = high explosive
AP = Armor piercing

I just mouse click the ammo type I want/need, a star shell btw does work on a tanker nicely :yep:

Never did any intentional ramming however....

Have Fun!

:arrgh!:

Carcassonne
08-04-05, 02:27 PM
wolfram, where do you fire the Star shells at when taking aim on a tanker? I'm assuming it starts a fire?

Wolfram
08-04-05, 03:23 PM
wolfram, where do you fire the Star shells at when taking aim on a tanker? I'm assuming it starts a fire?

I think was a bit of random luck for me, lol must have been it was clear weather; I had put last few (7?) HE into a T2.

Then was desperate so fired the SS rounds about number 4 or 5 I think (was a career ago) she flames on the deck and I think that is where I was hitting - still didn't sink her and was tired so I backed off to 1500m and let an eel go that made for the fireworks definitely... :sunny:

Other than that I found the things (SS) were a curse - fired once above a C2 and an armed trawler must have seen it and came running to the cargo aid.... :x had to dive off and eel that one too...

Have Fun!

:arrgh!: