PDA

View Full Version : Questions about SHIII installation

Malc
08-04-05, 06:52 AM
Just received a copy of SHIII purchased second hand via e-bay.

Totally blown away by the graphics, and having a crew is a nice touch (no more ghost ships smile )

Not had much time to play and get used to the controls, but the game looks great.

Could someone confirm the normal installation routine.. mine came up with some sort of update software that searches for new updates etc. I prefer to do things manually so that I know what's being installed. Also does the DVD always have to be in the machine to play the game ?

redstorm101
08-04-05, 08:58 AM
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=30321

This link should help to get you on your way mate!....... :|\

Also does the DVD always have to be in the machine to play the game ?...yes... :|\

Duncan Idaho
08-04-05, 08:59 AM
I think the update software you mention must be the thing called 'Gameshadow', which I didn't allow to be installed on my system, for much the same reason as you. I don't like installing anything that looks like it might be 'crudware', and I'm not computer illiterate, so I don't need any handholding. :)

And yes, you have to have the DVD in the drive to start the game. However, I believe you can remove the DVD after you've fired it up. I've pulled mine out a few times while playing, (though I didn't keep it out long), and had no problems.

RevRaz
08-04-05, 09:05 AM
Ya, don't install the additional 3rd party update program, just get patches the old fashion way.

Malc
08-04-05, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys, yes the 3rd party stuff was shadow ware.

One final question, does your DVD have the serial number printed on it. I have SHII and it has loads of other stuff like the part number, and all the logos for Qtime, UBI soft and Focus MM. On the SHIII dvd ithas the DVD ROM symbol, UBI soft logo and the words "Silent hunter III" across then bottom half of the sub image. It then has the words Install key code and then the 25 character code in a box with the web address underneath.

The disk has been pressed and has the copyright info around the edge, but is seems strange to have the key code on the disk and not on the back of the manual. All the media that came with it is glossy and looks genuine... The Disk came from Europe, so it has slightly different wording on the back of the box ! If it is an iffy copy then its a ruddy good one !

Duncan Idaho
08-04-05, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys, yes the 3rd party stuff was shadow ware.

One final question, does your DVD have the serial number printed on it. I have SHII and it has loads of other stuff like the part number, and all the logos for Qtime, UBI soft and Focus MM. On the SHIII dvd ithas the DVD ROM symbol, UBI soft logo and the words "Silent hunter III" across then bottom half of the sub image. It then has the words Install key code and then the 25 character code in a box with the web address underneath.

The disk has been pressed and has the copyright info around the edge, but is seems strange to have the key code on the disk and not on the back of the manual. All the media that came with it is glossy and looks genuine... The Disk came from Europe, so it has slightly different wording on the back of the box ! If it is an iffy copy then its a ruddy good one !

From what I've read, that's how it should be. Here in the US, we get the key from inside the nice DVD case on a little white sticker. In Europe, the key is right on the DVD. I doubt your disk is illegit. This game uses Starforce copyright protection which makes it a bit hard to just copy the disk.

Col7777
08-04-05, 09:45 AM
Yep, my disk has the code on it too as I think a lot more have, I copied the code in to the manual on the back page.

SteamWake
08-04-05, 10:32 AM
Gameshadow... what a scam.

UBI should be embarressed.

Malc
08-04-05, 11:21 AM
Duncan, Why would you doubt that the game is legit. It has all the printed manuals, keyboard stuff etc. If somone was going to all that trouble and to have the disk mastered / pressed and then sell it for just £7 they can't be making much from this action.

Yes the game comes up with some protection software which checks the DVD before loading the game.

As others have the same description of the DVD it sounds that every thing is in order :)

Now to work out how to play the game :)

Sailor Steve
08-04-05, 11:25 AM
Malc, reread his post. He said he doubts the game is ILlegit.

Duncan Idaho
08-04-05, 11:33 AM
Malc, reread his post. He said he doubts the game is ILlegit.

Thanks mate. :)

Malc
08-04-05, 11:59 AM
Whoops sorry !!! - need to have my glasses on :oops: