PDA

View Full Version : How to defeat Allied radar - possible mod alert!

Twelvefield
08-03-05, 01:16 PM
And I quote:

"PROPHYLACTIC TACTICS

Naval historian Peer Kuewar has solved the mystery of the 2,000 condoms found aboard the Nazi submarine U534, which worked out to nearly 40 condoms per crew member. They were to be blown up and left to float on the surface to confuse enemy radar."

The source is The Fortean Times from 1995, and their source is DAILY RECORD, Sept. 28, 1993.

So, for the next RUB, I say this should be modded into the game, for realism's sake! That, and I now know which boot number I will use from now on! Giggety-giggety!

Drebbel
08-03-05, 01:28 PM
I just located some images from the BCTF !

BdU Condom Test Facilities

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8219/1117xe.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3821/2222st.jpg

KodiakPA
08-03-05, 01:52 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Col7777
08-03-05, 02:26 PM
Be careful though they don't see you coming. :)

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
08-03-05, 02:46 PM
They were to be blown up and left to float on the surface to confuse enemy radar
that's the official story... remember, a lot the crews were billeted in France... ooo-la-la :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

--Mike

Gammel
08-03-05, 03:12 PM
I read in the book from H. Schaeffner about the use of those anti-radar balloons.
But i remember he wrote they raised in the sky tith something like chaff on them.
He discribed them as a kind of "last-hope" weapon
when they where forced to surface within range of allied ASW forces.
They created false contacts on enemy radar, so there were suddenly many subs on the surface.
I assume that good winds where useful.
They are not in the game, aren´t they? :down:

Godalmighty83
08-03-05, 03:41 PM
what you mean you havent bought the johnny upgrade yet?

its the most important upgrade in the game, for when all else fails you crew will be crushed with smiles on their faces due to the numerous party tricks and shenanigans at your disposal.

werent one army issued with over-sized condoms so that if found by the enemy it would install fear?

Gammel
08-03-05, 03:46 PM
what you mean you havent bought the johnny upgrade yet?
:rotfl:

Just googled a little bit:
With the arrival of the June messages quoted in the preceding paragraph, a conclusion as to the nature of APHRODITE, based entirely upon the earlier British report and a knowledge of the place occupied by APHRODITE in Greek mythology, was formulated. Thus it was that on 23 June 1943 the Atlantic Section was able to send information in a memorandum to COMINCH giving an accurate theory as to the nature and use of the device. The memorandum stated:

It is believed that APHRODITE refers to deception equipment of submarines in combating aircraft radar. The assumption as to its working is as follows: When a surfaced submarine obtains via Metox any indication of radar, a hydrogen balloon is released by the submarine. To the balloon are attached metal strips of various lengths tuned to known British and American radar frequencies. The submarine steams off into the wind while the balloon passes off the leeward, drawing the hunter off on a wild goose chase.

Aphrodite was a decoy balloon. Filled with hydrogen, it floated a few meters above the water surface, anchored to a floating plate. Aluminium foils attached to the balloon gave a strong radar echo, similar to that of an U-boat on British radar screens.

APHRODITE = Funkmeß-Täuschungsgerät (FuMT 1)

Hartmann
08-03-05, 05:22 PM
And I quote:

"PROPHYLACTIC TACTICS

Naval historian Peer Kuewar has solved the mystery of the 2,000 condoms found aboard the Nazi submarine U534, which worked out to nearly 40 condoms per crew member. They were to be blown up and left to float on the surface to confuse enemy radar."

The source is The Fortean Times from 1995, and their source is DAILY RECORD, Sept. 28, 1993.

So, for the next RUB, I say this should be modded into the game, for realism's sake! That, and I now know which boot number I will use from now on! Giggety-giggety!

put the condom in the periscope ..it could confuse the radar too!!

also could affect the moral in the destroyers seen a lot of condoms floating in the sea.

Nopileo
08-04-05, 02:36 AM
So, for the next RUB, I say this should be modded into the game, for realism's sake!

RUbber 1.45? :-j

Duncan Idaho
08-04-05, 02:48 AM
So, for the next RUB, I say this should be modded into the game, for realism's sake!

Oh that's a good one. :yep:

SmokinTep
08-04-05, 06:56 AM
:lol: :lol:

Type941
08-04-05, 07:36 AM

Beat me to posting that! I thought the same thing, just begs it, doesn't it? :rotfl:

Nopileo
08-04-05, 07:41 AM
Indeed it does! :rotfl:

Col7777
08-04-05, 07:41 AM
I was going to crack some joke about inflation but thought better of it, I bet Torplexed can come up with a good cartoon for this one. :)