PDA

View Full Version : The War has ended in June 1942?

Richard Zapp
08-01-05, 05:19 PM
Just finished my 25th patrol in U-551 and I am in base at St. Nazaire. Quit playing the game until the next day. Started the game and load my saved career. It says "The War has Ended" and its June 1942.....am I a POW? I would really like to have this career back since I have many many hours invested.

Lt. Senior Richard Zapp
U-551 Type IXC
600k of tonnage sunk

edit:
1.4b patch installed
All mods were installed over 10 patrols ago.

Beery
08-01-05, 05:24 PM
There is a limit on career length. It's not as restrictive as it was in real life, but at some point BdU will decide that your career is over.

Drebbel
08-01-05, 05:28 PM
There is a limit on career length. It's not as restrictive as it was in real life, but at some point BdU will decide that your career is over.

Never knew that. You sure about this ? Is the size of the save game file limited ? Or does it just count your patrols ?

But why does he get the message the war is over ?

Richard Zapp
08-01-05, 05:33 PM

Interesting......I could start my career in '39 and not make it to '44 or '45? That kinda sucks.....My career was started in 1939.

Sarge McSarge
08-01-05, 05:38 PM
Early war ending has happened to me and there is a fix for it. In your career folders you can change the config file to extend the war

Thanks to Nilas for this information

Edit the Careers.cgf files found in MyDocuments\SH\data\cfg\Careers\(name)
look for:
Finished=true
WarOver=true
and change them both to false.

This will do it

Sarge

Richard Zapp
08-01-05, 05:41 PM
Early war ending has happened to me and there is a fix for it. In your career folders you can change the config file to extend the war

Thanks to Nilas for this information

Edit the Careers.cgf files found in MyDocuments\SH\data\cfg\Careers\(name)
look for:
Finished=true
WarOver=true
and change them both to false.

This will do it

Sarge

Excellent....Thank You...I'll try it now.
:up:

Beery
08-01-05, 06:09 PM
It's something that only happens intermittently. In fact it's so intermittent that it's hard to tell whether it's supposed to be a feature, or whether it's a bug.

The fact is, though, that in real life no German U-boat commander ever did more than 16 patrols. Most top-scorers were removed from front line service before they had completed 9 patrols, and a quarter of them never even got to patrol number 6. Commanding a U-boat was not a long-term activity. For the best commanders a year at the front was about average.

Drebbel
08-01-05, 06:28 PM
I see. So the "There is a limit on career length." is just a wild guess.

I think it is a bug because in case it was a feature BdU would tell you your carreer is over (or something like that) and not tell you the war is over.

Beery
08-01-05, 06:39 PM
I see. So the "There is a limit on career length." is just a wild guess...

That's not a wild guess. It's a fact. When the limit is imposed is where the guesswork comes in.

Stavinsky
08-01-05, 06:55 PM
Could that be related with the "flotilla disbanded" troubles
some people around are experiencing too ?

Drebbel
08-01-05, 07:12 PM
I see. So the "There is a limit on career length." is just a wild guess...

That's not a wild guess. It's a fact. When the limit is imposed is where the guesswork comes in.

Hmmm, never seen/read any examples of that. Or am I missing your point ?

SteamWake
08-02-05, 11:50 AM
Its a known bug. Experienced it myself.

Just fall back to a previous save and play on.... heres the original thread.... wow this goes back :huh:

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=31666&highlight=

Richard Zapp
08-02-05, 05:28 PM
Well both of those lines in CFG file were marked false.....so I reloaded a previous patrol when I was in base. I've left base again starting a new patrol so we'll see what happens when I return.