PDA

View Full Version : VIIC/41 or VIIC/42?

jason210
08-01-05, 10:20 AM
I think the information provided on these variants, both in the game and in the manual, is faulty. For example, in the manual it says that VIIC/41 has increased dive depth, but the stats say it's service depth is 150m, the same as an ordinary VIIC.

Another example, in the game, on the U-boat screen, stats are the same for all three U-boats!!

Is there any info on these discrepancies? Is there a fix for this?

Which is best?

Carcassonne
08-01-05, 10:27 AM
You're on the money about them being the same.

You can always go into the config specs after purchasing one of the upgrades from the VIIC. That is, if you purchase a VIIC/42, go to uboat.net and find the correct max depth and change the .cfg to match it. I will say that the VIIC/42 does have to more torps eternally than the VIIC....I know that from personal experience.

Edit: I did forget to mention that there is a mod out there that will allow you to change the max depths for various boats...it's a mod that is brought up in a window if I'm not mistaken.

In a reply to one of my posts Duncan Idaho listed this link:

http://www.delraydepot.com/tt/sh3.htm

And I quote Duncan, "Oh, and btw, I think the number in the cfg file is actually the max depth it'll let your sub go, regardless of what you set for crush depth. So if you want a sub to go lower than that 300m, you need to use the crush depth tool to set the crush depth, then also edit that cfg file to allow you to go deeper than 300m. (I just set mine to max, which is 500, in the .cfg file)."

Hope this helps. :up:

DedEye
08-01-05, 10:27 AM
Use TimeTraveller's crush depth fix mod ;)

Duncan Idaho
08-01-05, 10:33 AM
Yup, Timetraveller's little tool's a lifesaver, and real handy if you like diving deep like I do.

Beery
08-01-05, 10:36 AM
SH3 Commander includes correct crush depths for both the Type VIIC and the Type VIIC/41. If you use SH3 Commander there's no need to do any tweaking to the game when you change to a Type VIIC/42.

Since the Type VIIC/42 never actually existed except on paper, it doesn't get a separate crush depth in SH3 Commander, because no one really knows what it would have been.

jason210
08-01-05, 10:47 AM
Thanks all. Can one install these mods in the middle of a career? Does the crush depth fix in "Commander" include the dial fix or will I need to install that seperately? What happens with the VIIC/42 crush depth? Is it set to the same as VIIC/41?

Duncan Idaho
08-01-05, 10:58 AM
Thanks all. Can one install these mods in the middle of a career? Does the crush depth fix in "Commander" include the dial fix or will I need to install that seperately? What happens with the VIIC/42 crush depth? Is it set to the same as VIIC/41?

I don't know about SH3 commander, but you can use the Crush Depth tool without returning to port. And you will need to put the dials in, (that's easy).

The Crush Depth tool also has a little list of historically accurate crush depths at the bottom of the program, so it'll help you be sure you pick correct depths. Beery's right about the VIIC/42 only being on paper, but the estimated crush depth is DEEP for that sub! Nothing like diving into the murk. :D

jason210
08-01-05, 11:01 AM
The Crush Depth tool also has a little list of historically accurate crush depths at the bottom of the program, so it'll help you be sure you pick correct depths. Beery's right about the VIIC/42 only being on paper, but the estimated crush depth is DEEP for that sub! Nothing like diving into the murk. :D

Can you give me a link to the Crush Depth tool and also the dial I need to put in?

Many thanks!

Duncan Idaho
08-01-05, 11:07 AM
Okay...

http://www.delraydepot.com/tt/sh3.htm

That's for the tool...

http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches/DepthGaugeMoD.zip

That's the dials. Keep safe!

jason210
08-01-05, 11:15 AM
Thanks. I've not used mods before and there seems to be a lot of stuff out there.

Jason

jason210
08-01-05, 12:52 PM
I can't set the crush depth of the VIIC variants with the crush depth tool. You just get the one VIIC and that's it. There appears only to be one set of cfg files for the VIIC, and yet, the VIIC/42 has extra torpedos. Weird. Any clues anyone?

DedEye
08-01-05, 12:54 PM
I believe when you select the VIIC from the drop down menu check boxes appear for the C/41 and C/42 versions

jason210
08-01-05, 01:04 PM
SO there is - thanks!