PDA

View Full Version : ships warping/skipping

Tullaian
07-31-05, 08:14 PM
I've noticed this happen a few times now.

I am following a single merchant using hydrophones , playing at 1x time. Target is dead ahead of me , I follow for some time and then as the distance gets to Medium (which I believe is 3km), suddenly get no sound contact. A minute or two later sound contact resumes but the bearing is radically different (ie. yesterday it went from 000 medium, to 093 long) and range is long again. It isn't possible at Slow speed for a ship to change bearing so radically in such a short time at that distance.

I change bearing, follow the ship, it again is travelling in a straight line , close and again suddenly it shifts bearing by a huge margin. I followed this C2 last night for close to 2 hours at 1x compression and it basically looked like it was sailing in a circle because every ittle while it would suddenly warp sideways yet continue sailing on a straight course.

Once I closed to visual range it stopped happening and it just sailed happily in a straight line till it was sunk.

This is the second patrol now where I have seen the same behaviour exhibited by single merchants when you only have a sound bearing to go on. First I just assumed it was me being bad at plotting the course of the target, but now I've seen it happening again. I am not sure what it is, but they appear to be skipping around until they are within the bubble that is drawn visually and once they are inside that range they travel normally onwards. This C2 last night otherwise was just sailing in a big circle in the middle of the ocean.

I should have saved the screen shot from my map plot which showed this series of massive location jumps but didn't think to till later.

Beery
07-31-05, 08:20 PM
This is the game's way of simulating poor equipment, atmospheric conditions affecting contact strength and bearing, etc. Admittedly it's not the best simulation of reality, but it makes things interesting.