PDA

View Full Version : Check out this book...

benetofski
07-31-05, 01:06 PM
I have just finished reading:

'Another Time Another Place'

by Werner Hirschmann

(Robin Brass Studio, Toronto & Chatham Publishing, London)
(rbstudiobooks.com and chathampublishing.com)

It is the autobiography of Werner Hirschmann from a young man in the Kriegsmarine (Officer Cadet) to a U-Boat Officer on U-190.

What I found particularly interesting is that the story is supported with an abundance of pictures taken by Werner during his early Years in the Kriegsmarine (as an officer kadet)with 'fly on the wall' descriptions of crew-life and pranks during his early naval career, covering places like La Spezia with U-375 and LOrient on U-190, it is a must for SH3 fans.

Unklike many other U-Boat books I have read, there is more of a 'personal touch' to this one (rather than depth-charge hell) detailing among other things his 'off duty' times, people (including girls) he met, and eventually as a POW in Canada and ultimately his civilian life thereafter and the subsequent friends he has made from former enemies.

Note: There is an appendix attached to the end of the book which is a 'Pictoral Guide' (I mentioned the many pictures!) to the 1XC/40 U-Boats - which was a pleasant surprise!

I recommend adding this book to your collection... :up: :up:

pj
07-31-05, 01:33 PM
Check out Shadow Divers, by Robert Kurson - "The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of Word War II".

They found a U-Boat, but which one???

Good read!

ShipperS7
07-31-05, 07:14 PM
For those of you who are interested in the Mediterranean theater, I would reccomend Time Life's book, The Mediterranean World War II I read it cover to cover :D