PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Aces Future?

radiodoug
07-30-05, 09:22 PM
Are there any plans to do a Pacific Aces upgrade to SHIII or is there any future simulations in the works whose theme is American submarines in world war 2?

cdrsubron7
07-31-05, 07:44 PM
I've not been around the SubSim Radio Room lately, but the scuttlebut before the release of SH3 was that UbiSoft had something in the works for a SH4. SH4 was to have been about the US Submarines in the Pacific during WW II. Of course the fate of SH4 depended on how well SH3 did in sales.

cdrsubron7 :rock: :D

McBeck
08-02-05, 03:46 PM
Are there any plans to do a Pacific Aces upgrade to SHIII or is there any future simulations in the works whose theme is American submarines in world war 2?
For the time being its not possible, because we are not able to build 3D models and add them to SH3.

horsa
08-03-05, 10:19 AM
The PA Dev team were able to do an extensive mod for SH2 for a number of reasons .
1. Ubisoft themselves had no plans for any expansions for SH2
2. There was a ready made set of American and Japanese models available from its sister game DC.

SH3 is in a totally different position. The PA dev team have never been approached by Ubisoft in connection with a Pacific expansion, neither have the dev team ever canvassed Ubisoft for the option ( even if such an option was possible). Ubisoft would likely want to develop a Pacific expansion, addon, or new game in house.

Wasn't there a issue some months back where a mod team atttempted to start a Pacific mod but had to withdraw for legal reasons ?

McBeck
08-03-05, 11:46 AM
Yeah...there was an issue...cant remember what is was though :88)

MarkShot
08-03-05, 03:00 PM
We need to get SH2's source code released to the PA Team. Then, they could fix the few bugs and put out the best subsim yet!

I think the single most detrimental bug in SH2 is the save game problem.

Drebbel
08-03-05, 03:46 PM
Hmm, source code. Don't start on that :D

Otherwise Dargo has to get drunk again :rotfl:

TLAM Strike
08-03-05, 04:12 PM
Well I would love to see some new cargo ships, convoy types and a Narwhal class sub in PA.

I really miss that AMC>Standard Merchant>Small Merchant convoy I always ran in to in SHI. :cry:

horsa
08-04-05, 12:47 PM
Hmm, source code. Don't start on that

Heh .... this is always good for a bit of forum mileage .... but we always end up saying the same things :D

Well I would love to see some new cargo ships, convoy types and a Narwhal class sub in PA.

New models was (and is) always possible without the source code .... Granted there's only a handful of ppl with the necessary skills .... but who has the will now that the centre of the universe has shifted to SH3.

sergbuto
08-04-05, 01:59 PM
Hopefully, UBI will eventually make SH4 and that will be in Pacific.

aanker
08-05-05, 11:11 AM

The Narwhal class would be a great addon. I am still enjoying the new S-Boat mod.

Art Anker

TLAM Strike
08-05-05, 12:13 PM

The Narwhal class would be a great addon. I am still enjoying the new S-Boat mod.

Art Anker

LOL is that a hint Anker? :lol:

aanker
08-05-05, 01:55 PM
It wasn't a very well "cleverly disguised hint" was it? LOL

Art Anker

MadMike
08-05-05, 09:03 PM
Narwhal class you ask?

Would make some interesting patrols...

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-n/ss168.htm

Narwhal Home Page

http://www.earth2.net/usnavy/ss167/ss167_01.php

Through the Looking Glass

http://www.rddesigns.com/subs/v-boats.html

War Patrol Reports

First- http://www.earth2.net/usnavy/ss167/ss167_wp01.html

Third- http://www.earth2.net/usnavy/ss167/ss167_wp03.php

Seventh- http://www.earth2.net/usnavy/ss167/ss167_wp07.php

I have copies of ten Nautilus war patrol reports, but can't find the link at the moment.

Yours, Mike

IYAAYAS

Charleston
10-03-05, 09:42 PM
Greetings,

Ok, so I'm almost 2 years late to the party but I wanted to say 'thank-you' to the PA developers. This is just one impressive mod and should win some sort of award. :D

I bought SH-3 and am enjoying it, but truth be told, I find the U.S. fleet boats and the Pacific Campaign far more engrossing. Perhaps it's the early introduction of radar that adds a different dimension of stalking to these predators. I still fire up SH-1 via dosbox every now and then.

Anyways, I'll just have fun with PA and Sh-1 while the rest of the world plays SH-3 and Dangerous Waters...lol!

horsa
10-04-05, 08:05 AM
Many thanks

Anyways, I'll just have fun with PA and Sh-1 while the rest of the world plays SH-3 and Dangerous Waters...lol!

Well. yes, the world and his dog did beat a massive path to SHIII and DW, but now the froth has died down a bit there is a significant trickle of folk back to SH2/DC ( or least playing both as in my case )

SH3 is a very impressive piece of kit but there are aspects of SH2/DC that players miss ..... ......human DDs in multiplayer , and the sheer scope of vessels and options available. It is possible to sail as virtually any nationality and there are complete mod conversions for Italian (Betasom) , American( PA) , and partial conversions for British (Upholder) subs. Using the excellent Kriegstanz its easy to sail out as a jap sub hunting down a carrier force.

For a while the latest NVidia drivers were incompatible with SH2/DC but apparently the newest are no longer a problem.

This is just one impressive mod and should win some sort of award
PA was voted best naval mod, 2004, by SimHQ.

Hitman
10-04-05, 10:13 AM
I never regret reading compliments like these :up: :D

Thanks and have fun :up:

Charleston
10-04-05, 10:42 AM
but there are aspects of SH2/DC that players miss ..... ......human DDs in multiplayer

Dang, I didn't realize they ever got those two programs talking to each other. I remember the early reviews of that promised feature not being delivered on game launch--so I never paid much attention to SH2/DC (of course, my son being born right around their release may have distracted me too!).

I'll have to go hunt down a copy of DC and see what I missed over the last several years....

horsa
10-04-05, 10:52 AM
Mosey on over to the Wolfpack and Eagle league forums in SubClub ( link at the top of this page ) .... that's where all the multiplay activity is. I've always been able to play DD V Sub on a LAN , but I think that multiplay on the net has had its problems .

The Old Man
11-03-05, 07:27 AM
I would think until they bring out "if they ever do"
Destroyer Command 2 & American Sub sim.
Destroyer Command & Pacfic Aces would live on till then if not forever?
Roy

Charleston
11-03-05, 07:50 AM
Aye, just finished another patrol and will be posting my report shortly. :)

FERdeBOER
11-03-05, 10:28 PM
I have bad news. Seems that Ubi has just considered SHIII "finished" and dispersed the team to other projects.

There's a post on the SHIII forum that explain this.

This means that there will be no more patches or expansions and there's no SHIV on the near horizont.

:cry:

Chapeau
11-04-05, 04:03 AM
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2003-08-15

U-666
11-05-05, 09:49 AM
LOL...So true Chapeau.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me about SH3, it's too bad though :cry:

Raptor
01-16-06, 12:11 PM
For you dedicated SH2 users, the Wolf Pack League sponsors a single player campaign called The Atlantik Campaign. We are currently finishing our 24th and final monthly mission.

It was so successful, that we've decided to run The Atlantik Campaign II starting in February. The administrators are currently surveying members to see if there is enough interest to start up a Pacific Aces single player campaign as well.

If interested in either Atlantik II or the PA campaign., please contact me by PM or email.

Raptor
02-06-06, 05:36 PM
bump
:rock:

SS220
02-08-06, 06:46 PM
Where can I find the new S-Boat mod. I would love to start using it.