PDA

View Full Version : Regular Crash but Adequate System - Clueless as to problem

kellythegeek
07-29-05, 06:38 PM
Hi All,

I have a system that should be able to run SHIII without any issues, however I have constant crashes to the desktop (CTD). I have only completed 1 mission, and all I have tried are the training missions. These are my system specs..

Athlon 3200+
1 Gig Ram
GeForce GT6800 265MB VRAM
nForce Motherboard with integrated audio

I figure these system specs should be just fine. I have read other posts where people mention not to use certain "macro" buttons. I am not sure what people are referring to but perhaps I could be using those and not know it.

I have the DVD version of SHIII and I have Patch v1.4 installed. The crash usually happens maybe 6-15 minutes into the game. No warning..it just happens. I am usually running on the surface trying to complete the deck gun exam.

I would be greatful for any helpful suggestions. Thanks.

- Kelly

Gammel
07-29-05, 07:22 PM
Hy kelly,

first excuse my poor english, :88)
i have quiete similar system specs (Ati instead of nvidia VGA) but also nforce and AMD cpu. SH3 runs very well and without crashes, but telling you this won´t really help you ;).

The micromanagement buttons are those icons on the lower right side of the damage control screen (the one with your uboat and those little men) were you have profiles for surface cruising, under waterattack etc. For example pressing underwater attack will send crew to the e-machines and torpedorooms and so on instead of moving every single man to his battlestation. Some users have reportet crashes when using them.

If the crashes occour without using the buttons you have to go the hard way of fixing the problem by trial and error.
First make sure you have no further programms running in the background when you start game (Antivirus-soft, filesharing, etc)
Someone told the about a programm called "end-it-all" or something, used to end background processes. Sorry, I have no link.
Are your drivers up to date? If not think about updating

Are you using beta drivers? Not good...use official drivers

Is your system overclocked? Not good...

Some users reported they have fixed crashes by toggeling hardware acceleration for their soundcard down. Use dxdiag (included in your OS) to turn it down.

It´s quit hot these days, maybe temperature problem with you machine? Use a programm like "everest" to check sensors.

Check your memory with a testing software, i recomment memtest86, included in several linux distris.

Good luck on locating the error hope don´t have to spend a lot of time bugfixing, playing SH3 is more fun...

Stymnus
07-29-05, 07:24 PM
Did you install any mods?

Did you install the DVD version of 1.4? (not sure it would even LET you put the wrong one on?)

Other than that I've not a clue at this point..

John Channing
07-29-05, 07:56 PM
Make sure you turn down your Sound Hardware Exceleration in DXDIAG to zero.

Worked wonders for me.

JCC

Elder-Pirate
07-29-05, 10:28 PM
Enditall is dying off the FREE list as quite a few are chargeing for the original FREE program :roll: and allso the original Enditall does work with XP even though I believe all thats listed is Win 95,98,ME and NT ( ? ) Anyway I've XP and when I play a single player game I allways use Enditall first, Games run a lot smoother with less stuff running in the background but then again I don't play online ( yet ).

Here is a link for the Enditall and it is free.

http://www.the-old-sea-dog.net/enditall.html

Have fun. ;) :rock:

Bonfleck
07-30-05, 02:39 PM
I'm curious to know if any of the aforementioned helped you out Kelly?!?

Gammel
07-30-05, 04:41 PM
maybe he used my tips and has wrecked his system...

:-j

Sorry kelly, just kidding. ;)

Did you solved it? If you did what was the case of the crash?

SSGTroyer
07-31-05, 04:02 AM
Another possible problem is power supply. A system like the one you describe would need 350 watts minimum. Even that would be pushing your lower limit. 400 or more would be better. If you've upgraded an older PC, you may only have 250 or 300 ...

ENtek-IO
07-31-05, 01:53 PM
Just a few notes,Onboard sound Sucks bigtime,it has to be avoided by all cost, regardelss what anyone else is telling you.

Second the sound implemntation in SH3 IS Crap^2.
Which is easyly observable by just adding any Stero ogg file into the game.

Third All eax enabled cards are crap and So called sound Acc cards dont deserve the name ,they exist just to make money.

To be exact they were introduced to enable creative labs to sell their GArbage 3d solutions.

From the soundblaster live upwards the oncard signal amplifier is way to weak to produce clear signals, further they removed the rca approach to shoot people like me in the foot.
btw i got one lying arround i used it exactly for 24 hours then i reninstalled my old card.

Audigy cards bloat this problem only more.

3d positonal audio is whishfull thinking in the most cases, as most games implement that plain wrong.
Plus most users dont have adequate equipment , the pc sourround systems are all without exopetion pure junk, if it comes to sound quality.
Simple sourround standard is absolutly enough and that is technologie from 1995 and before.
For that reason i still use a AWE 64 gold Soundblaser with rca sockets on a external Yamaha decoder in combo with hifi equipment.

And it works perfectly even with sh3 besides the crappy ogg implementation, which is not the soundcards fault if the game crashes.

Stay away from those new pseudo soundcards.

IF you want problem free sound, spend money and get a real soundcard,like the ones used for making music.