PDA

View Full Version : Enigma problem - which do you use, what settings ?

Catfish
07-29-05, 01:21 PM
i have a problem with the Enigma:

Following text from BdU:

Use key: H-D-J

BRGI KASE LHG- RDZN NPEJ ZBNS IH-E
Y-KX IJV- WDBS -PHO WQXW C--Q HPEV
-CV- EWV- LZSN SNMS -RAU ZMF- VSYH
KNFP NV-V BULO CUN- PB-Y EQLY -GY-
ARN- WTXX JFEE K-BU MIPA -VIZ ITD-
TZ-E PUHJ QMYT G--L RNYO Q-QI BD--
-RWO

I have tried to decypher this with several Enigmas, but to no avail. I'm not rally interested in the text, but how to use the Enigma to an extent that understandable words are coming out.

ENIGMA SIMULATOR v4.0.2: Nice graphic, but this does not work at all, only sh** coming out
M3SIM: Works, but only for the first four groups of four, after this only crap.

OK folks, what am i doing wrong ??
I have heard to advance the third cylinder if there is a "-" in the message to simulate a blank.
But it does not help me after the first four groups ...

Help would be great,
thanks and greetings,
Catfish

blueparrott
07-29-05, 02:36 PM
Well, here's my two (euro)cents worth.

As I am sure you know there is more to an Enigma ky than just the three letters given. Unless of course you keep the wheel setting as A and you only use the first three wheels in order and no steckers, as most sims seem to start at.

If it is not that simple, you'd probably have to resort to using a Bombe as they did at BP. If you have the first groups you already have your crib even though it might be a bit on the short side.

I don't think it is easily solved since ha machine setting aren't complete.

As for the "-", it seems that the message is not complete. cahracters and "-" is in four character groups. My thining it is a garbled message and that the "-" stands for missed characters. Terefoe not possible to decrypt.

I might be wrong, but...

Catfish
07-29-05, 05:11 PM
Hello,
well, thanks. There are other reflectors and other rotors to use, but i thought the msgs would come in with the basic/untouched settings. The Enigma sim from Jeoff Sullivan is the only one where i get at least some words out of it, and without changing anything but the three keys on the rotors. Has no one else problems with this, am i overseeing something ?
Greetings,
Catfish

Catfish
07-30-05, 08:35 AM
Err, no one?
Probably someone could tell me which reflector i have to use, and maybe which additional rotors with what keys set ?
Thanks,
Catfish

enigma-e
07-30-05, 06:06 PM
There are quite a few possibilities.

In fact, for an M4 with three extra wheels, two thin wheels and 13 cables, there are
possibilities.

So, good luck. :88)