PDA

View Full Version : mmanual tdc - Range

Joe S
07-29-05, 06:18 AM
In SHII it was determined that Target Range was the least critical piece of information for the TDC. Has anyone determined if that is true also for SHIII? I was thinking that if you manually set Range for 1200 meters, and kept your shots between 1000 and 1500 m, you might be OK, but my tests so far are inconclusive. Has anyone else looked into this? Thanks, Joe S

don1reed
07-29-05, 07:09 AM
I'm with you, Joe, SPEED and AOB are the most critical factors.

Due to the excellent grafics, AOB is far easier to guesstimate now, than--say, when SH1 first came out.

One would think that you'd need to get the "range" correct so as to properly plot, then do the math for obtaining the correct speed. But, there are other ways. Rather than fight the low visibility at night or following the bouncing target (scope-view) during foul weather (wx). I obtain their [target] speed by using Greyrider's method of counting the prop revolutions in 15s x 4, then use his table to determine their speed.

If the target fills the scope, (horizontally) it's pretty much close enough to shoot at without taking the time to measure it's range. Late in the war I don't need all that scope exposure for getting range.

cheers,

RevRaz
07-29-05, 09:50 AM
Why not get a range to target from your Sonar man?

Joe S
07-29-05, 02:54 PM
In a convoy attack, how do I know the sonar is reporting on the same ship I am trying to hit? Joe S

don1reed
07-30-05, 09:10 AM
Oh, I'm not saying that I don't look thru the scope. I keep it awash whenever I take a peek, just long enough to get a good bearing. I've gotten to where I can reconnize the various BIG merchants by their sound signature...(the slow CHUG, chug, chug, chug) so even though they're blurry in the view finder--I have their bearing...down scope (1 meter below surface), press "H" and listen and count.

The scope is no longer surfaced as it is when trying to measure a target's masthead height, and trying to use the stadiameter. Most of the time I use the "fast 90" method and allow the scope bearing to sync with the TDC AOB indicator.

When the shot is taken, it's always MOT as seen thru the blured view finder.

I've had great success even with both scopes wiped-out after being ramed/run over by a DD, just putting the TDC in manual (green light) place the bearing indicator on zero dead ahead and AOB on 90 (P/S) ... leave the TDC in manual then press "H" and listen and fire from the sound station when the notepad shows "Merchant".

don1reed
07-30-05, 09:27 AM
@RevRaz: I have that option turned off at 100%, besides, that kind of "pinging" would give your position away, wouldn't it.