PDA

View Full Version : Bronenosets Potyomkin

Drebbel
08-01-05, 02:14 PM
Anyone else saw this movie ?

What did you think of it ?

August
08-01-05, 11:17 PM
I saw it awhile back. It was pretty good athough how accurate it was i can't say.

Oberon
08-02-05, 12:58 PM
Battleship Potemkin?

I've heard of it, heard that it's an absolute classic, must hunt it down and watch it some time.
That's the film with the baby in the carriage going down the city steps, isn't it?

Pax Melmacia
08-03-05, 11:40 PM
Speaking of Russian WW2 movies some time ago the former Soviet Union released a series of historical (official Soviet history, anyways) war movies. The company even went to the trouble of casting the movie with actors who are startlingly dead-ringers of their historical counterparts, from Stalin to Goebbels to General Vlasov of the anti-Soviet White Russian army. (The Germans were played by East Germans, tho their Hitler was a bit overweight.) It was mostly the eastern front although I do remember that Skorzeny's rescue of Mussolini was portrayed.

Subtitles? Didn't need 'em. The quality of the English dubbing was comparable to that of 'Das Boot'. (The Russians were dubbed into English whilst the Germans continued to speak German with the interpreter's voice speaking over it!)

Remember that faux-Tiger tank in "Private Ryan"? These guys did it first; they had whole columns of T-62s or T-55s with phony Tiger tank chassis.

All in all, I would love to have the complete collection. (I think three segments were made.)

Pax Melmacia
08-03-05, 11:44 PM
That's the film with the baby in the carriage going down the city steps, isn't it?

Kee-rect. It was probably the movie's most chilling sequence; it was so unforgettable that it was reprised in 'The Untouchables' and a few other movies, I believe.

Pax Melmacia
08-03-05, 11:49 PM
Lol, foreign movies ??

We don't even have that genre in Holland. Probably because we are small and stand in the middle of the world

I remember back in my high-school days (Seventies) second-rate theaters here in the Philippines were swamped with war movies made in places like the Balkans and Warsaw pact countries. (You had T-34/85s representing everything from Shermans to PzKwIVs) most were pretty abysmal, but quite a few were interesting.

I do remember one told from the viewpoint of a German Kommando who was part of that failed raid to kill or capture the Big Three (Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin) in Tehran. this was made long before 'tthe Eagle Has Landed'.

Grayback
11-07-06, 11:58 AM
I remember back in my high-school days (Seventies) second-rate theaters here in the Philippines were swamped with war movies made in places like the Balkans and Warsaw pact countries. (You had T-34/85s representing everything from Shermans to PzKwIVs) most were pretty abysmal, but quite a few were interesting.

couldn't be any worse than that uneccessary movie about the Battle of the Bulge. Apparently the makers of the movie forgot that they were filming a story about a German mechanized assault that attempted to exploit bad weather in late 1944, and had strings of Panzers tangling with Shermans (probably not what was used, but what do I know about armor?) under clear skies. Chalk it up to another instance of "Stupid Hollywood". Where was that movie filmed anyway? The Mojave? I don't know what Wisconsin was charging, but those producers should have paid for it.

I do remember one told from the viewpoint of a German Kommando who was part of that failed raid to kill or capture the Big Three (Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin) in Tehran. this was made long before 'tthe Eagle Has Landed'.

How did that story compare?