PDA

View Full Version : ASW technology and proper submarine tactics.

kommandantjustin
11-03-05, 01:49 PM
Do ASDIC point 120 degrees in front of the ship or the back of the ship? It just states that Sonar detects ship within a cone shape arching 120 degrees across

Also, I am thinking about graphing the relationship between depth and distance due to sonar on a x-y plot sheet....Would you have any ideas what the slope may be?

If I understand this clearly, you take your depth and multiply it by 6 to find your distance, at which the sonar can ping you.... If I am not mistakened...Doesn't 315m multipied by 6 turn out to be 1890m and not 2000m?

Finally, where is the "blind spot"?

Would be very appreciated if these questions are answered, I didnt grow up loving sub sims, SH3 is my first sub sim and I AM ADDICTED TO IT! :rock: :D

kanderstag
11-03-05, 02:27 PM
At some point, your Chief Engineer will come out of the engine room, shaking like a crazy man and you'll have to have him drug screaming and kicking back to his station.

I was roflmao at this point. :rotfl: Nice humor throughout. Thanks for putting this together, it really helped me understand things better.

thasaint
11-03-05, 02:47 PM
I also disagree with the head towards him arguement, even if hes got you located and hes bearing down on you.

If you are heading towards him at flank, the delta v is large - that means, from the time he looses ASDIC lock on you to the time you are under his depth charges is at a minimum.

However, if you are heading away from him at flank, the delta v is minimized, which gives you additional time to change course before you are under his depth charges.

It also means that as he passes over you if he begins a turn, you can react immediately to that turn, because you can hear it. If, on the other hand, you were running down his throat, you wont hear him over the sound of your screws.

----

as for the multiple destroyer tactics in SHIII - yes the game does model that. Its actually pretty cool - if you choose external views enabled and start a scenario with alot of enemy DD's, you can watch them stand off from your position cruising slowly, each one making a single high speed pass in turn, and then re-joining the 'flock' of pingers.

i do the same, it would also seem by heading directly towards the destroyer, it makes it easier for him to turn back on you and make another run, even if it's just on your last known position. my goal when being attacked is to break contact ASAP, and 1v1 i usually can after his first run using this tactic, keeping him on my 6 is easy, because if he wasn't on my 6, i could hear him. add to that that no matter which direction he's comin from, when he gets close you can hear him just standing in the control room. when he drops his charges, flank speed and turn away from where i think he's gonna turn to come back around on me, and keep him on my 6 again

Keelbuster
11-03-05, 04:14 PM
I think if a destroyer gets frustrated at losing you, he will just depth charge the area in desperation. I've seen this quite a bit.

Question - how long does the hydrophone deafness last per depth charge? I use the danger meter, and I've found it to go red when I go flank, even during depth charge explosions. I thought I was sound-safe when that was happening?

kb