PDA

View Full Version : A big thank you

david_simons40
01-22-24, 06:23 AM
A big thank you to subsim and the SH4 community.

I had a bit of a nightmare day with my laptop yesterday and not sure whether a windows 11 update did something strange but all my desktop folders with my shortcuts for all my games disappeared. On recreating my desktop games folder and recreating my shortcuts to various games I found that SH3 with the onealex mod failed to work and SH4 with FotRS mod failed to work. I deleted both and reinstalled and got SH3 back up and running without issue. SH4 via steam was a bit more difficult and kept hanging either when the modded game was launching or after choosing whether to start from the sea or the dock and the game trying to start. After many trying numerous times of deactivating mods and uninstalling and reinstalling the whole game I was about to give up when I recalled a post on subsim. I can’t remember the thread or the author but it was something about checking the main cfg file and checking the display settings to make sure that they matched what you had set the resolution to in the games gfx settings.

So I did another clean install of SH4 and the Uboat missions, activated FotRS and the Maru mods via JSGME then deleted the data file in users\”user name”\ SH4 and also if using multish4 the data folder in this. Then I accessed the main cfg in steam\common\silent hunter wolves of the Pacific to check what the video settings were and low and behold they were different to what I had set within the game. I changed these to 2560,1440,220,22 which is the default for my laptop and which match what had been set within the game and bingo. Game now works fine.

So anyone have issues with SH4 installation and running make sure that you check the main cfg file for the video settings as it looks as though this may not automatically reset with the users settings within game and the mismatch causes the game the hang or ejects you back to the desktop.

:Kaleun_Salute: thanks once again