PDA

View Full Version : Mods do not work with Multi Install

Pellaeon
11-27-23, 08:04 PM
Hi guys,

sorry for my stupid question, but it is 2am in the night and I have no ideas any more.

I want to install two mods:

1. Fall of the rising sun
2. german speech mod fot the U-Boat campaing.

All mods work with ONE install. But as you know...it is not possible to play with these two mods in ONE installation. Maybe it is, but on a american submarine with german speech? No way.

So I copied my clean and new basic install of SH4 two times
These are now my folders:

"Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition"
"Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - tfotrs"
"Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - german"

I delete the write protecion of all files and folders.
I copied the JSGME in the folder, started it and copied the mods into the mod folder. JSGME found all mods and is able to "install" it.

If I start the SH4.exe, the game starts but erverytime without any mods!
What I am doing wrong?

Thank you very much for your hints!

propbeanie
11-28-23, 07:32 AM
Copying the game the way you did should work fine, but what folder are the various "Silent Hunter 4..." folders inside of? Did you make a "Games" folder and do what you did, or are you inside of the install default of C:\Program Files (x86)... folder?

Also, each of the modded games, as well as the stock game want to use a Save folder of "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4, which causes trouble, since most of the game runs off of that Save folder data. That data between Stock and FotRSU can be quite substantial, and cause trouble for both versions of the game. You need to delete that Save folder game, then use the MultiSH4v1.5 applet in the FotRSU modded game's root folder, and create a new 3-character name for the FotRSU game, such as "FRS", or whatever you like. Then copy MultiSH4 to the "german" folder, and do the same, naming the new Save folder something like "Ger" or something. Leave the SH4 folder for the stock game then. Next time you start the game, it will create the appropriate data structure in each of those separate Save folders, and you should no longer have a corruption issue.

Next up is: did you use either the 4Gig Patch, or the Large Address Aware applet to set the FotRSU's SH4.exe header bits that show the game can do flat addressing? Look in the FotRSU mod's Support folder for the pdf "help" files in there for these and many more questions you might have. :salute:

Pellaeon
11-28-23, 08:24 AM
First of all, thank you very much for your help.

I thought Iīve read all the pdf stuff in the support folder.

My basic SH4 install folder is:
"E:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games"

inside this games-folder there is the normal "Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition" installation. So it looks like this:
E:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition

I copied the "Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition" folder two times, each for an mod.
So inside the "games" folder it looks like this now:
"E:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition"
"E:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - tfotrs"
"E:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - german"

Each SH4 mod folder has one mod with the jsgme file and, of course, I run the Large Address Aware applet.

Up to now: every thing is correct and should work?

Regarding the multish4v1.5: I used it but nothing has changed. I guess I understood something wrong.
I deleted the SaveGames folder in:
C:\Users\user name\Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames
run the MultiSH4v1.5, entered "FRS"
start the game (again no mod was started)
started a short game, saved it, quite the game and?
Nothing. The saved game was in:
C:\Users\user name\Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames
No "FRS"-folder, nothing.

I guess I missunderstood something terribly wrong.

propbeanie
11-28-23, 02:25 PM
MultiSH4 can be in any folder you desire, but it will default to where it is the first time it runs, and then the last folder used in after that. Once you start MultiSH4, just use its dialog to navigate to the folder that contains the SH4 folder that you want to alter. You do have to make certain that the FileManager.dll file in that folder is not write-protected, just like the SH4.exe file has to be set. Right-click on the files, select "Properties" at the bottom of the drop-down context menu, and on the first page of that dialog is the "Attributes" section near the bottom. Make certain the "Read-only" tick box is clear. If it is already, no worries. Otherwise clear it, and OK your way out. Then run either the MultiSH4 or LAA applets on the respective files. You just have to be in the proper folder with both applets' dialogs. :salute:

Pellaeon
11-28-23, 06:14 PM
I am very sorry, but it did not work.

The MultiSH4v1.5 is not the biggest problem. Imo I did exactly what you descirbed. No file is write protected, I deleted the savegame folder and start MultiSH4v1.5 and it gives me the correct name ("FRS"). But it didnīt create that folder.

Nevertheless, every change will not be "activated". And this is what I does not understand. I activated the mod with the JSGME, and it shows me the changed or new files (snapshot). But it simply did not work. I can start sh4.exe but no mod...simply the normal game....

KaleunMarco
11-28-23, 06:45 PM
I am very sorry, but it did not work.

The MultiSH4v1.5 is not the biggest problem. Imo I did exactly what you descirbed. No file is write protected, I deleted the savegame folder and start MultiSH4v1.5 and it gives me the correct name ("FRS"). But it didnīt create that folder.

Nevertheless, every change will not be "activated". And this is what I does not understand. I activated the mod with the JSGME, and it shows me the changed or new files (snapshot). But it simply did not work. I can start sh4.exe but no mod...simply the normal game....

jumping in here....
Pellaeon...
can you post your JSGME config?
launch JSGME, then Tasks-Export to Clipboard. then paste it here (ctrl+v).

thanks.

Pellaeon
11-29-23, 11:35 AM
jumping in here....
Pellaeon...
can you post your JSGME config?
launch JSGME, then Tasks-Export to Clipboard. then paste it here (ctrl+v).

thanks.

Everthing you say:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
---start----
[E:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - tfotrs\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
---end---

There is nothing wrong to me.

KaleunMarco
11-29-23, 12:34 PM
Everthing you say:

---start----

---end---

i concur.
i asked for the config because there are a lot of subtle things with SH4 and sometimes taking a step back and looking at the config helps.

Pellaeon
11-29-23, 01:02 PM
i concur.
i asked for the config because there are a lot of subtle things with SH4 and sometimes taking a step back and looking at the config helps.

Without any question.
But something has to be wrong, but I have no clue anymore.

razark
11-29-23, 01:21 PM
Can you post what is under the "E:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - tfotrs\MODS\100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8" directory? As in what subfolders or files are located there?

Also, how are you starting the game?

propbeanie
11-30-23, 05:48 AM
Everthing you say:

---start----

---end---

De-activate the "Orange" mod. That is only used if you have vickers03's stellar "Fleetboat Interiors - Officer's Quarters" mod activated on top of FotRSU. You want to use the "101_FotRSUv18_FixPak" instead. However, that is not what is keeping the game from running, nor the Save folder from changing. I am not a trusting person, and I do not trust Ubisoft and its UConnect and Game Launcher to play nice and not "kill" a modded game with MS-style 'security'. What I would do is create another folder, such as "E:\Games", then select your current "Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - tfotrs" folder, and then use <Ctrl><X> to "cut" it. Navigate into your new Games folder, and <Ctrl><V> to "paste" the folder into the new Games folder. Have MultiSH4, JSGME and LAA (or 4Gig Patch) in that new FotRSU folder. Again, make certain that the SH4.exe and FileManager.dll in your new FotRSU folder are write-enabled, then run LAA with the "E:\Games \Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - tfotrs \SH4.exe" as your 'target', and set that file. Then run MultiSH4 while inside that folder, and set the FileManager to a new 3-character name (such as FRS). Be sure your SH4.exe Compatibility settings are good to go, and try it again. One thing to bear in mind here with MultiSH4, is that depending upon your computer, your new Save folder might not show in your default Documents folder, since you are on the E: drive with the game folder. MultiSH4, like so many other older DirectX v9 apps, is not fully compliant with the 'modern' Windows OS. Your Save folder might be in the root of the E: drive. The Ubisoft "plain" SH4 Save folder will be in your regular Documents folder as SH4. :salute:

Pellaeon
11-30-23, 07:26 AM
Can you post what is under the "E:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - tfotrs\MODS\100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8" directory? As in what subfolders or files are located there?

Also, how are you starting the game?

under the Path:
"...Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - fotrs\MODS\100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8"

are following folders:
Data
Extras
MODS
Support
and several files:
01_FotRSU_Support_TOC.bat
02_SetAttribs.bat
Large Adress Awware.exe
MultiSH4 1.5.exe
SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg
SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg

I do start the game as administrator sh4.exe. UbiConnect will be started automatically.

deactrivate & cut folder

I deactivated the patch.
I moved the folder to:
E:\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - tfotrs
Made all things again as you described:

start JGSME and deactivate the patch

write enable all files

start LAA again

start MutliSH4_1.5

same result again. No mod is activated.

propbeanie
11-30-23, 08:11 AM
If you are using the UConnect game launcher to start SH4, it will not start your copied versions of the game. It is best to navigate into the game folder where you want SH4 to run from, and double-click on the SH4.exe file there. This is also the file that you alter the "Compatibility" settings on the the display. You can create a short-cut for the SH4.exe on your desktop, if you want. I ~think~ you can add a Start to the UConnect launcher, but I do not remember 100% on that. What I do remember is that UConnect will at times attempt to "clean" your game folder if it is linked there, the way Steam does its "Verify Game Files" function, which will of course, trash everything you've done to the files yourself... It is definitely "safer" to start the game directly from the respective SH4.exe file, or a Windows short-cut that points directly to it.

JSGME can be "installed" in any folder you desire, and you then use the app's dialog to direct it to the correct path. However, it has such a small footprint, it is advisable to have it in each of the separate game folders you intend to mod. Starting it from inside the game folder should get you a correct path. If you have already used JSGME in the original Ubisoft folder, it is advisable to delete the JSGME.ini file in the game folder, as well as the one in the MODS folder, along with the hidden "!BACKUP" and "!INSTLOGS" folders in the MODS folder, so that your install and MOD list are built "fresh"... Not an absolute necessity though. It will over-write the data in the new folder, but those are where the "path" and activated mods info is kept. JSGME will usually globally "remember" the last folder it was used in.

LAA is similar for its location, and will also globally "remember" where you last used it, so you definitely have to be certain you navigate to the proper folder in its dialog. Again, small file, and easier to just have it in each game folder. The big thing with LAA is that you do NOT get an obvious error message when it fails. You can change its "Mode" of operation, which makes things easier in that regard. If LAA fails to apply, it is usually do to the 'target' not being write-enabled. If you run LAA a 2nd time and add your 'target' file, you should see either a tick mark in the box in the Basic mode, or "True" in the appropriate column when in Intermediate or Advanced mode.

MultiSH4 demands that it be in the proper folder, so you definitely need a separate copy in each of the modded game folders you want a new Save folder for. If it "fails" to create a new Save folder, you will get an error message. The "fail" is almost always a write-protected "\Game \FileManager.dll" file. Remember that the new Save folder might not be in the User Document folder, but might be in the 'root' of your game folder drive. That is computer and OS dependent.

btw, it is advisable to not have the game folder set directly in a drive's "root", but rather inside another folder, such as "E:\Games \Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition - tfotrs..." That is for "just-in-case" scenarios, which really shouldn't happen on a 'modern' computer & OS - but you never know. You could make Games whatever you want to, so long as it complies with Windows naming conventions. This is also usually not an absolute necessity, but remember it for the next time. Also, for simplicity, I would go with a shorter name for the game folder. Examples might be "SH4_FotRSU" or "FotRSU" or whatever. :salute:

Pellaeon
12-01-23, 06:57 PM
Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it!

I always start the game with the SH4.exe. Even with the copied once.
But everytime I start the sh4.exe and UbiConnect ist NOT started, first UbiConnect will be started automatically and than SH4!

I tested it with the original SH4 folder. I modded this folder and everything works fine, every mod I installed will be loaded.

That means, even when I try to start SH4.exe from a copied folder, UbiConnect will be startet automatically and from there UbiConnect "redirected" my command to the original folder where UbiConnect thinks Sh4 is and start the SH4 from there.

I hope I was able to express myself clearly.

So, now I will try to find a way to start SH4 without UbiConnect.
Do you know this behavior?

Aktungbby
12-02-23, 12:10 AM
Pallaeon!:Kaleun_Salute:...finally surfaced after a long 'silent run' since 2010!:up:

KaleunMarco
12-02-23, 09:33 AM
Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it!

I always start the game with the SH4.exe. Even with the copied once.
But everytime I start the sh4.exe and UbiConnect ist NOT started, first UbiConnect will be started automatically and than SH4!

I tested it with the original SH4 folder. I modded this folder and everything works fine, every mod I installed will be loaded.

That means, even when I try to start SH4.exe from a copied folder, UbiConnect will be startet automatically and from there UbiConnect "redirected" my command to the original folder where UbiConnect thinks Sh4 is and start the SH4 from there.

I hope I was able to express myself clearly.

So, now I will try to find a way to start SH4 without UbiConnect.
Do you know this behavior?

try renaming the Ubiconnect exe. or deleting it.
that program/app/exe is NOT in any of my SH folders.
so, either you will be able to run sh4 without it (after you get rid of connect) or....someone has patched the sh4.exe that you have and made connect a requirement.
give my suggestion a try and see what happens.:yeah:

Pellaeon
12-02-23, 09:57 AM
give my suggestion a try and see what happens.:yeah:

Jawohl Herr Kaleun!

I renamed UbisoftConnect.exe and UbisoftGameLauncher.exe so that UbisoftConnect doesn't start.
But, as I guess, SH4 doesn't start either.

KaleunMarco
12-02-23, 11:24 AM
Jawohl Herr Kaleun!

I renamed UbisoftConnect.exe and UbisoftGameLauncher.exe so that UbisoftConnect doesn't start.
But, as I guess, SH4 doesn't start either.

well......i'm out of SWAG (https://patronmanager.com/blog-swag-embracing-the-scientific-wild-ass-guess/#:~:text=SWAG%20stands%20for%20Scientific%20Wild,b enefit%20of%20a%20time%20machine).)'s, for the moment.

Pellaeon
12-04-23, 06:39 PM
But thanks for your help!

I guess I have to use one folder and activate and deactivate the mod which I want to play.