PDA

View Full Version : New, Best way to go about downloading?

TheBeaves26
07-20-23, 04:37 PM
I want to play, but steam doesn't work. and I've been told to download somewhere else. where can I get the game? how can I get it to work properly? and what mods should be downloaded for the best experience? TIA

KaleunMarco
07-22-23, 11:28 AM
I want to play, but steam doesn't work. and I've been told to download somewhere else. where can I get the game? how can I get it to work properly? and what mods should be downloaded for the best experience? TIA

you can usually find it at on online retail for $10 or $15. another forum users will respond with more concrete examples.

Aktungbby
07-22-23, 11:45 AM
TheBeaves26!:Kaleun_Salute:another forum users will respond with more concrete examples.https://media.tenor.com/yiFbj9_hzaoAAAAM/concrete-bubble.gif:yeah:

propbeanie
07-22-23, 01:01 PM
Hey there TheBeaves26! Welcome to SubSim! :subsim:

I am not on my home computer, but my Steam SH5 does function. The "details" is what fails me at the moment, but the portions I do remember are that you do not want to install the game into the Windows "Program Files" folder, and in my case, I had to move Steam itself to a non-Windows folder, since I only have the one hard drive on that computer. I only have the three Silent Hunter games from Steam, plus a guitar program, so a total of four programs. At the time I first did my SH installs, I only had the one program from Steam, so moving things was relatively easy, though time consuming. Refer to Steam's Knowledge Base article Moving a Steam Installation and Games (https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4BD4-4528-6B2E-8327) for pertinent information. Beyond that, you might have to download the Ubisoft UConnect app since the older UPlay is no longer supported. Configuring that can be a problem. I am not certain what the Steam download has in it any longer. You could try "Verify game files" in Steam and see if that brings in any updates for UConnect... Then of course, there is the fact that the game was written a while ago, and you probably have to change the SH5.exe "Properties" to match your computer's display hardware. You navigate into the game folder, select the SH5.exe program, then use the right-click to get a context menu, and choose "Properties" from the bottom of the list. This image is a Win10 picture, but the Win11 version is basically the same.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=1070&pictureid=12763

You usually have to click the "Disable fullscreen optimizations", and use the "Change high DPI settings" button near the bottom (which is what opens that upper window), which allows you to select the "Overide high DPI scaling..." and set it to "Application". You might have to use the "Compatibility Mode" near the top, and maybe use the "Run this program as an administrator". Not all computers are the same of course, and you'll probably have to experiment. If you go to use the TWoS mod, that has an option for a Steam install. The difficult part is the Ubisoft activation. There are some recent threads / postings concerning that. :salute: