PDA

View Full Version : FaT

Bubblehead1980
06-26-22, 04:33 PM
Alright, I am into 1943, FaT torpedoes are available. Will try them out next patrol.

Any particular way have to use them? Suggestions?

I've never fired on in SH. lol

derstosstrupp
06-26-22, 05:28 PM
Alright, I am into 1943, FaT torpedoes are available. Will try them out next patrol.

Any particular way have to use them? Suggestions?

I've never fired on in SH. lol

I can’t quite remember how SH3 implemented FaT but if it’s anything like reality you can set 3 parameters:
1. Direction of the pattern (left or right),
2. Loop length (the length of the parallel “zigzags” after the straight run, either 1200 m or 1900 m), and
3. The “Vorlauf”, or initial straight run.

FaT (and later LuT) were designed to be used just like a normal torpedo - fired to hit the center of a target - but with the added benefit of a zigzag pattern if it missed. So say you are firing into a convoy at a ship in the nearest column 1000 m away, the convoy being say 1500 m wide. You would ideally set the Vorlauf to 1000 + 1500 = 2500 m so that the point the zigzagging starts is the far side of the convoy to maximize the chance of a hit if you miss. You’d set loop length to 1200 m so the loops (the zig legs) cover nearly the width of the convoy.

Fifi
06-27-22, 01:25 AM
Exactly like Derstosstrupp said above :up:
Fat & Lut are very useful when it would become impossible to close up convoys, due to radar and aerial covering …