PDA

View Full Version : FOTRSU Questions

!!HansGruber!!
03-02-22, 03:19 PM
Hey All,

First time poster so upfront want to thank everyone for the knowledge sharing in this forum that has helped me become an effective skipper. I started playing SH4 last October and jumped straight into the deep with full realism (well almost 98/100) and FOTRSU. I completed 7 patrols in 1.46 before starting a new career so I could upgrade to 1.7. I have a few questions based on my experiences:

1.) Despite sinking 500k+ tons of enemy shipping and sinking some notable capital ships (Hiryu/Shokaku) the best I received was a Silver Star. One patrol I sank 90k tons and got a Bronze Star. What (if any) requirements are there to obtaining higher awards?

2.) I was always credited for one more patrol than I had actually completed. Ex. My Silver Star citation for my first patrol where I sank Hiryu off of Wake Island said it was my 2nd patrol and so on for each subsequent patrol. Is this a known bug?

3.) I seem to get very few duds but I usually use slow speed/contact settings. I see there are some other mods to increase the chances of duds in the AddInModzPak but what are the differences between 1.7p3, OriginalFOTRS_Dudz, & MoreDudz? As the war progresses do duds decrease so that by '44 the mk14 is relatively reliable?

Only mod activated is FOTRSU 1.7p3. Thanks in advance.

KaleunMarco
03-02-22, 04:53 PM
Hey All,

First time poster so upfront want to thank everyone for the knowledge sharing in this forum that has helped me become an effective skipper. I started playing SH4 last October and jumped straight into the deep with full realism (well almost 98/100) and FOTRSU. I completed 7 patrols in 1.46 before starting a new career so I could upgrade to 1.7. I have a few questions based on my experiences:

welcome Hans. to start with, you should post your FOTRSU questions in that forum. :03:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=243064

1.) Despite sinking 500k+ tons of enemy shipping and sinking some notable capital ships (Hiryu/Shokaku) the best I received was a Silver Star. One patrol I sank 90k tons and got a Bronze Star. What (if any) requirements are there to obtaining higher awards?

there are requirements but they are wonky. speaking from my own experiences, it seems as if reaching 100k tonnage is a very positive threshold. even 90k+ is not as good as hitting the sixth figure.

2.) I was always credited for one more patrol than I had actually completed. Ex. My Silver Star citation for my first patrol where I sank Hiryu off of Wake Island said it was my 2nd patrol and so on for each subsequent patrol. Is this a known bug?
yes, this is a known issue. we like to think that one part of the development started counting at one and another part of the development started counting at zero. both techniques are common techniques. what is NOT common is the fact that UBI let this go to production without syncing the two methods. There is a lot of this type of stuff in SH4.

3.) I seem to get very few duds but I usually use slow speed/contact settings. I see there are some other mods to increase the chances of duds in the AddInModzPak but what are the differences between 1.7p3, OriginalFOTRS_Dudz, & MoreDudz? As the war progresses do duds decrease so that by '44 the mk14 is relatively reliable?

most probably, the "gods of war" were smiling on you. count your blessings and press on because your luck will change.
to answer your question, all torpedoes become more reliable as the war progresses.

propbeanie
03-03-22, 07:11 PM
Hey All,

FotRSU gives higher points for objectives completed, and lower for most ship sinkings. While tonnage drives the game, it is not as important in FotRSU. Still, I would suspect with the tonnage that you have listed, that you may have sunk a hospital ship, or perhaps a Russian or other nation neutral? The awards scoring in FotRSU is also diffrent than other mods, and it is not as easy to get medals or promotions. However, we cannot get early boat assignments to go away (inside joke there... lol).

As KaleunMarco says, the game has always miscounted certain aspects of the game, and this is one of the more obvious ones. It used to be fine, but in one of the "upgrades" of the game (back in 2007), while trying to fix repeat assignments, the devs took the function of mission assignment out of the post-docking area of the game, and put into the pre-docking area of the game. In other words, as soon as you see the "Do you want to end patrol" prompt, you have already been assigned your next mission. So go out on Patrol 1, come back in and get assigned Patrol 2, and when you go to look at your in-office patrol report, it says "Patrol 2"... somebody forgot to change that section of the code... sigh, oh well.

The duds are not very obvious in the stock game usually. But there are also two locations where they are set. One is on the Main Menu, Options, Game Play, and you put a checkmark in the little tick box to turn duds on. But you also have to set it in the office before going on patrol in a career. Click on the radio console to the left on top fo the filing cabinets, and set it in there. Each career you start has to be set. It the same with the other settings on that menu.

If you want more duds (I mean, who doesn't?), the AddInModzPak has three choices. The "Original FotRSU" is a step up on the number of duds, but does not have much "stair-stepping" through the various stages of the "Torpedo Problem". The "More Dudz" gets you closer to what they really had, while the "Lotsa Dudz" is an exercise in futility, but does mirror what some boats encountered. I had a patrol with that AddIn that had 22 out of 24 shots as duds. Either premature detonations, deep runners, klunkers, and even a circle runner - also a dud, thankfully. So you can dial that in to your heart's content...

Aktungbby
03-04-22, 01:58 AM
!!HansGrüber!!:Kaleun_Salute:

!!HansGruber!!
03-06-22, 10:25 AM
Thank you very much for the responses.

I do get the occasional dud (all realism settings checked except map contacts) with slow/contact settings but with fast/influencer settings there is a noticeable jump.

In FOTRSU is it better to do double-barreled patrols (i.e. rearm/refuel) and go back out or to return to port and finish patrol in order to increase the chances for awards?

I am just finishing a patrol in East China Sea at 77k tons and I'm debating with the XO to hit Midway and request another assignment vs returning to Pearl.

propbeanie
03-07-22, 09:43 AM
Player's choice, but if you stay out, you want to use the Status Update and get assignments that get you Objectives that score you more points, though not 100% necessary.