PDA

View Full Version : News papers

Kapitan
02-14-22, 09:06 PM
Just a random one really but how many of you still read newspapers?

I have to admit I still do, I read both the Times and Financial times both now online of course as I'm not in the UK right now and getting a hard copy is impossible.

The reason I ask is because I just watched an episode of Yes Prime Minister (1980s sitcom) and this clip got me wondering.

https://youtu.be/DGscoaUWW2M

Commander Wallace
02-14-22, 10:26 PM
I must admit that I would rather read a newspaper than a computer screen. I had to do a lot of reading in college on computer screen but we still used text books.

The news somehow seems more substantial reading a paper. However, you don't get newsprint / ink on your hands reading a computer screen. :03:

Aktungbby
02-15-22, 12:19 AM
However, you don't get newsprint / ink on your hands reading a computer screen.Just a random one really but how many of you still read newspapers?

I have to admit I still do, I read both the Times and Financial times both now online of course as I'm not in the UK right now and getting a hard copy is impossible.I read the Wall Street Journal, (WSJ) the San Francisco Chronicle and the local Napa Register every day with the morning cuppa-joe...going on 40+ years!:o:oops::dead: My wife renews the WSJ subscription yearly as my birthday present; anytime I dare to respond in :subsim: political threads which I customarily avoid,, it's because I've done my homework with the WSJ. The editorials in particular are enlightening and rational imho. I also read the NewYork Times and the Washinton Post at the local library...pandemics permitting. The papers, in the order listed, give perspective Globally, Bay Area, and locally respectively. This was handy in the great fires of 2018 when I knew it was potentially time to prepare to leave in a hurry.:doh: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=815&pictureid=11706 @ Commander Wallace : that ink on hands is nasty stuff! I'm always leaving prints on the woodwork:yep:

nikimcbee
02-15-22, 01:26 AM
I read the Wall Street Journal, (WSJ) the San Francisco Chronicle and the local Napa Register every day with the morning cuppa-joe...going on 40+ years!:o:oops::dead: My wife renews the WSJ subscription yearly as my birthday present; anytime I dare to respond in :subsim: political threads which I customarily avoid,, it's because I've done my homework with the WSJ. The editorials in particular are enlightening and rational imho. I also read the NewYork Times and the Washinton Post at the local library...pandemics permitting. The papers, in the order listed, give perspective Globally, Bay Area, and locally respectively. This was handy in the great fires of 2018 when I knew it was potentially time to prepare to leave in a hurry.:doh: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=815&pictureid=11706 @ Commander Wallace : that ink on hands is nasty stuff! I'm always leaving prints on the woodwork:yep:

Is that you?:Kaleun_Wink:

Platapus
02-15-22, 06:41 AM
For a long time I had a subscription to The Washington Post.

When I decided to cancel my subscription, I called and was naturally transferred to a salesperson would try to convince me to keep my subscription.

She tried to explain the advantages of the newspaper; the news coverage; the local entertainment coverage; and even the coupons.

She had a full script and it was evident that she was good at her job. It was a good sales pitch.

I finally had to tell her that I was fostering puppies and the only reason I had a subscription was that the WP had the most paper sheets per subscription price and I used the WP to line the puppy X-pens for them to poop on.

I was canceling because I found a cheaper supply of newsprint sheets (Yeah Amazon prime).

This was a surprise to the salesperson, I guess her training never included how to refute *that* reason for a customer canceling a subscription. :D

Commander Wallace
02-15-22, 08:40 AM
For a long time I had a subscription to The Washington Post.

When I decided to cancel my subscription, I called and was naturally transferred to a salesperson would try to convince me to keep my subscription.

She tried to explain the advantages of the newspaper; the news coverage; the local entertainment coverage; and even the coupons.

She had a full script and it was evident that she was good at her job. It was a good sales pitch.

I finally had to tell her that I was fostering puppies and the only reason I had a subscription was that the WP had the most paper sheets per subscription price and I used the WP to line the puppy X-pens for them to poop on.

I was canceling because I found a cheaper supply of newsprint sheets (Yeah Amazon prime).

This was a surprise to the salesperson, I guess her training never included how to refute *that* reason for a customer canceling a subscription. :D

I think I would have told her your dog doesn't care for

their sports coverage and also believes their news stories to be slanted and or biased. :D

Then I would have offered to put the dog on the phone with her and told her the dog makes all the financial decisions in the house. :yep: That would have been priceless.

@ Aktung. with newspapers, I leave incriminating evidence behind me with black newsprint smudges and have been smacked with the newspaper on more than one occasion. :yep:

Eichhörnchen
02-15-22, 09:30 AM
I never read newspapers now... not even the local ones. Most of them have a political bias one way or the other so I just listen to the BBC News on the radio

Jimbuna
02-15-22, 10:10 AM
Been a long time since I've read a 'real' newspaper.

Call me lazy if you like but I much prefer to do my reading online.

Aktungbby
02-15-22, 10:30 AM
Is that you?:Kaleun_Wink: Theze daze, I ask myself that...every morning in the mirror??:timeout:

These daze I ask myself that every morning in the mirror

@ Aktung. with newspapers, I leave incriminating evidence behind me with black newsprint smudges and have been smacked with the newspaper on more than one occasion. :yep: Same here! :yep:That's love BBY. YIPES! No sooner do we have this thread than this AM I go out and ....No Newspapers!!??. and none up and down the block on the neighboring drives either :Kaleun_Mad: There goes my daily routine:wah:

Kapitan
02-18-22, 02:50 PM
Quite a mix then kinda what i assumed really

I do love the big broadsheets used to annoy many people on the trains with them like folding a bed sheet

Commander Wallace
02-18-22, 10:37 PM
Quite a mix then kinda what i assumed really

I do love the big broadsheets used to annoy many people on the trains with them like folding a bed sheet

In addition to the mix is people like myself that probably do varying ratio's of both. I probably do a 60 / 40 split in favor of computer screens. Not mentioned is the abilities with computers to increase the size of the text. This feature alone can make reading on a computer screen more enjoyable with less eye strain . :yep:

I use my read papers and sales flyers to engage in epic battles with the cats resulting in shredded papers with me picking up the shredded pieces. I always lose anyways. The cats do their part to help me recycle paper. :D

Platapus
02-19-22, 11:00 AM
Cats are helpful like that.

One of our cats likes to help when we change the bed sheets.