PDA

View Full Version : Operation Pacific

Bubblehead1980
02-07-22, 10:09 PM
Watching it currently...I would say it is one of the better US WW II sub films made, even if a little eh hokey at times(was made in early 1950's after all) with the romance angle and all. Great casting though really liked the actor who played "The Chief" aka Chief of the Boat and the Skipper "Pop".

Enjoyed how they worked the missions and actions/events of several subs into the movie...Gilmore's "Take her down !" moment, , ramming the ship, bending the bow back (Growler)is there, a Q/decoy ship, evacuating the nuns, lifeguard duty later in war, finding the fleet as Darter/Dace did in oct 1944, evacuating nuns and children, torpedo malfunctions, and how the were solved, and the rowdy shore leave lol.

Thoughts? Favorite moments? Dislikes?

fred8615
02-08-22, 01:24 PM
One of my favorite moments is when one of the characters makes fun of Destination Tokyo which the crew is watching, then recants it later. :oops:

Bubblehead1980
02-08-22, 02:19 PM
One of my favorite moments is when one of the characters makes fun of Destination Tokyo which the crew is watching, then recants it later. :oops:

Haha yes that was a subtle, great moment.

razark
02-08-22, 05:36 PM
I found some parts of it to be a bit like Run Silent, Run Deep (the book). The torpedo issue solving occurs in both, as well as the ending involving lifeguard duty under enemy attack.

I enjoyed the book and both movies.

Bubblehead1980
02-08-22, 08:06 PM
I found some parts of it to be a bit like Run Silent, Run Deep (the book). The torpedo issue solving occurs in both, as well as the ending involving lifeguard duty under enemy attack.

I enjoyed the book and both movies.

Great novel and movie was great overall.

KaleunMarco
02-08-22, 08:39 PM
Great novel and movie was great overall.
watching Mr. Roberts on TCM.
the climatic scene in the Captain's quarters was actually played out in my life.
Jack Lemmon at his finest.

nikimcbee
02-15-22, 01:36 AM
Watching it currently...I would say it is one of the better US WW II sub films made, even if a little eh hokey at times(was made in early 1950's after all) with the romance angle and all. Great casting though really liked the actor who played "The Chief" aka Chief of the Boat and the Skipper "Pop".

Enjoyed how they worked the missions and actions/events of several subs into the movie...Gilmore's "Take her down !" moment, , ramming the ship, bending the bow back (Growler)is there, a Q/decoy ship, evacuating the nuns, lifeguard duty later in war, finding the fleet as Darter/Dace did in oct 1944, evacuating nuns and children, torpedo malfunctions, and how the were solved, and the rowdy shore leave lol.

Thoughts? Favorite moments? Dislikes?

It's been awhile, I need to re-visit this movie. I'm confusing it with "Crash Dive."

Rhodes
02-15-22, 07:15 AM
watching Mr. Roberts on TCM.
the climatic scene in the Captain's quarters was actually played out in my life.
Jack Lemmon at his finest.

I miss TCM here.

Never saw this one, I think I have a film for my Friday evening time! :03: