PDA

View Full Version : Traffic rules in your country

mapuc
01-05-22, 12:39 PM
Instead of destroying a great thread about Trucking in USA I thought I would start a new thread about traffic rules in our countries.

Lets start with roundabouts.

In Denmark and Sweden the driver who is in the roundabouts has the right and those who approach has to give way for those inside.

How is it in your country ?

Markus

August
01-05-22, 12:47 PM
Instead of destroying a great thread about Trucking in USA I thought I would start a new thread about traffic rules in our countries.

Lets start with roundabouts.

In Denmark and Sweden the driver who is in the roundabouts has the right and those who approach has to give way for those inside.

How is it in your country ?

Markus

Same here. I don't think it would work the other way around. :hmmm:

mapuc
01-05-22, 12:55 PM

It was first in the beginning of the 90's Denmark changed the rules-Before a car inside a roundabouts should give way for cars entering the roundabouts.

Why I started this thread is because what I experience while playing ETS2-Here it happens that car/truck enter the roundabouts while I'm in it and I have to hit the break. This happens in Germany, France, Italy and other countries.

Have a little feeling that those who created the game-does not have enough knowledge on traffic rules in different countries.

Markus

Jimbuna
01-05-22, 12:55 PM
Not a great many roundabouts in Holland when I was living there....but an abundance of traffic lights.

Aktungbby
01-05-22, 01:10 PM
Same here. Napa has two new roundabouts off the main highway exits that the natives are adapting to instead of stop-signed intersections. The party in the circle has right of way. I first encountered roundabouts in New Jersey back in my '70's truckin' daze...which later served me well on countryside drives in England, Scotland & Ireland...even as I rigorously coped with right-hand steering on the left side of the road in a rented Audi. Rewiring a 65+ yearold brain to reverse its bigrig/policecar defensive righthand driving acumen of 50 years is mind-boggling; In London , Dublin or Edinburgh, I just use cabbies! Remembering to look right first instead of left when simply crossing the street is also a factor; as vehicles have right-of-way; not pedestrians and lots of Yanks are hit in the the crosswalk as they forget and look left!! My daughter pulled me back a few times in London while strolling about!:oops::timeout::dead::k_confused: https://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/25/world/london-journal-britain-puzzles-over-a-peril-crossing-the-street.html It is a familiar if somewhat chilling scene, played out regularly at intersections across London. A group of tourists approach a busy street, glance to their left and then confidently step off the curb -- and nearly into the path of a bus bearing down on them from the right....according to the United States Embassy here, five Americans have been killed in separate accidents in Britain when they stepped off the curb into the path of vehicles

With its right-hand traffic flow, this city has always been tough on foreign pedestrians, who can often be observed at street corners wearing the slightly startled look of deer edging alongside a freeway. It was for them, mostly, that London officals years ago began painting reminders along curbs suggesting that pedestrians "look left" or "look right" before venturing into the street. https://c8.alamy.com/comp/DBX8Y4/crosswalks-with-look-right-warning-london-uk-DBX8Y4.jpg < this helps!!

Jimbuna
01-05-22, 01:28 PM
It is generally accepted that in the UK the pedestrian has right of way and vehicles are expected to drive at a speed and with a level of attention and observation which allows them to safely respond to any reasonably foreseeable hazard.

Aktungbby
01-05-22, 01:34 PM
It is generally accepted that in the UK the pedestrian has right of way and vehicles are expected to drive at a speed and with a level of attention and observation which allows them to safely respond to any reasonably foreseeable hazard. Tell that to the London Cabbies!:haha:A common complaint is that cars turning into an intersection will seldom yield to pedestrians already in the roadway, even if they are crossing with the light. "The Highway Code of Conduct says that pedestrians have the right of way," Mr. Howard said. But in practice, he conceded, it usually doesn't work that way.
"The sad fact is that any pedestrians who insist on their rights while crossing a street soon tend not to have anything left at all to argue about," he said.

Jeff-Groves
01-05-22, 03:34 PM
Jeez. You want to know about the USA drivers?
Many States have SIGNS that say Left lane for passing only!
And what do the morons do? They get on the damned phone and pull INTO the left lane and SLOW DOWN!
Then you throw roundy's at them and they don't have a CLUE how they are supposed to work!

And don't get me started on the drivers that fixate on your vehicle!
Instead of watching their speed? They fixate on you and ride your bumper or float beside you! And if you go to pass a slower Richard? The Arse holes speed up! MF'ers!

mapuc
01-05-22, 03:42 PM
Next question - Driving licens.

Here in Denmark and Sweden an ordinary cardriver has a Driving license B and that allow him to drive a car up to 3500 kilogram in total.

Here's an overview of various driving license categories

1. AM (small - moped 30) and AM (large - moped 45)
2. A (large MC), A1 (small MC) and A2 (between MC), A (large MC)
3. B (ordinary car -3500 kg total weight and a maximum of 8 seats in addition to the driver's)
4. B + (Truck over 3500 kg total weight, consisting of ordinary car and trailer with total weight over 750 kg)
5. C1 (Small truck - 7500 kg total weight or passenger car over 3500 kg up to 7500 kg total weight, maximum 8 seats in addition to the driver)
6. C (Large truck)
7. D1 (Small bus - maximum 16 people plus the driver)
8. D (Large bus)
9. E (Large trailer in the combinations: a) B / E, b) C1 / E, c) C / E, d) D1 / E, e) D / E

Markus

mapuc
01-05-22, 03:44 PM
Jeez. You want to know about the USA drivers?
Many States have SIGNS that say Left lane for passing only!
And what do the morons do? They get on the damned phone and pull INTO the left lane and SLOW DOWN!
Then you throw roundy's at them and they don't have a CLUE how they are supposed to work!

And don't get me started on the drivers that fixate on your vehicle!
Instead of watching their speed? They fixate on you and ride your bumper or float beside you! And if you go to pass a slower Richard? The Arse holes speed up! MF'ers!

Not only USA but as many countries as possible.

Markus

Commander Wallace
01-05-22, 04:31 PM
In the U.S, if you wave to other drivers while driving, You should remember to use all of your fingers and not just one. :03:

mapuc
01-05-22, 04:53 PM
In the U.S, if you wave to other drivers while driving, You should remember to use all of your fingers and not just one. :03:

I've never given other drivers one finger salute. Always used one hand(five fingers) and given sign if I done something wrong.

When it comes to making thing wrong in the Traffic I learned once that in countries like France, Spain, Portugal and maybe Germany
A driver use 3 fingers on his right/left hand and spred them while they turn them horizontal-This should represent the letter E=Excuse

Markus

Jeff-Groves
01-05-22, 05:03 PM
In the USA? We read between the lines.
:har:

mapuc
01-05-22, 05:12 PM
In the USA? We read between the lines.

You mentioned something very important- The skill to read the traffic. To see two to three steps ahead like a good Chess player

Markus

RickC Sniper
01-05-22, 06:19 PM
Many parts of the USA are just now getting introduced to roundabouts and I have noticed that most drivers have no clue how to deal with them.

Because of that, I think the drivers who DO understand how to navigate them are the ones in greater peril. :ping:

Aktungbby
01-05-22, 06:30 PM
RickC Sniper!:Kaleun_Salute: after a bit of a silent run! :up:

Rhodes
01-06-22, 05:09 AM
I've never given other drivers one finger salute. Always used one hand(five fingers) and given sign if I done something wrong.

When it comes to making thing wrong in the Traffic I learned once that in countries like France, Spain, Portugal and maybe Germany
A driver use 3 fingers on his right/left hand and spred them while they turn them horizontal-This should represent the letter E=Excuse

Markus

Here, we normally use the hand, all 5 fingers to say thank you or excuse, with the occasional head bow or saying the words (that many times are not audible by the other driver or pedestrian.

Of course when the feelings are high, we do tend to gesticulate and swear more.

Never heard about the 3 finger rule.

The driver license, I think that it is similar, since it's now EU general rules or something like that. I remember that B - ordinary car, i can drive 4 wheel motorcycles and tractors (agriculture ones; I can not remember the correct term for them in english) to 4000 kg. Other permissions I have to read the code again.

The roundabouts, one must giver priority to the cars inside and when I learn, specific for small roundabouts with only 2 lanes like many in my town, we should do by the right lane, leaving the left/ interior one for the driver that wanted to exit the same way it came, using the roundabout for a "u-turn".

The rule was not tight so, also a person could use the left lane and use the second or third exit, being always in the left lane, if the exit had 2 lanes.
Early last decade the rule changed so in any roundabout, large or small, the right lane is only to be use for exit in the first. All the rest, the driver have to use the left(s) lanes and then begin to go to the right ones until the exit that serves him best.

In my opinion, here, several people do the roundabouts like them want and sometimes the rules are just out of the window... :doh:

Platapus
01-06-22, 07:41 AM
When it snows or rains, hop into your minivan with the balding "all weather" tires and drive 70 mph.

After all, your mini van has "All wheel drive" so you are safe. :damn:

The faster you drive on icy roads the less time you spend on the road and therefore your chances of an accident go way down. :up:

Skybird
01-06-22, 10:22 AM
Three fingers could also mean somebody ordered five beer for his buddies at the sawmill. :D

Jeff-Groves
01-06-22, 01:34 PM
When it snows or rains, hop into your minivan with the balding "all weather" tires and drive 70 mph.

After all, your mini van has "All wheel drive" so you are safe. :damn:

The faster you drive on icy roads the less time you spend on the road and therefore your chances of an accident go way down. :up:
Don't forget that when a bad Snow Storm rolls in you HAVE to go driving around to get pictures for FaceBook and Twitter!

mapuc
01-06-22, 02:10 PM
Don't forget that when a bad Snow Storm rolls in you HAVE to go driving around to get pictures for FaceBook and Twitter!

I've never fully understod the need for this-the need for driving for no reason when it's a blizzard, hurricane or other servere weather.

Markus

August
01-06-22, 02:40 PM
I've never fully understod the need for this-the need for driving for no reason when it's a blizzard, hurricane or other servere weather.

Markus

Back in the days of liberty and rear wheel drive vehicles we used to go out in snowstorms to do Broadies in a nearby shopping center parking lot. Great fun.

Aktungbby
01-06-22, 02:41 PM
That's because essential:shifty::roll::nope: cargos: 5 lb. Houma LA bags of Ohio Kroger sugar, bagged Presidio, Texas onions for St Lous Mo. produce markets, Pennsylvania molybdenum for Seattle steel mills, Portland, OR pickles for Austin TX Der Weinerschnitzl franchisees, Huggies & Kotex for nursing moms, San Diego catfood(or people tuna) for Wynn-Dixie Texas supermarkets, copper outta Amarillo TX for New York ski-lift cable companies, Santa Clara, CA Olin Corp insulation for vast Washington's Hanford nuclear-tower sites, kitty-litter outta Missouri clay refineries, Montana bagged alfalfa for ritzy New Jersy horse sulkie-trotting stables, the Sunday Parade supplement for newspapers outta LA for Bay Area newspapers, & empty glass bottles outta Tracy, CA for Anaheim, CA Budweiesr breweries are critically vital to the well being of humanity...no matter the whiteout blizzards across Iowa's I-80, barge collapsed bridges on I-40 in Arkansas or I-395 at Minnesota, howling winter tempests across the heated Wisconsin Mackinac bridge, collapsed snow overhangs(right behind my rig!!) on I-95's Snoqualmie Pass, or snipers on overpasses on I-80 in Pennsylvania shooting motorists...the freight must get thru! Trukkin ain't fer expendible :o:oops::dead: pussies BBY!:arrgh!:

mapuc
01-06-22, 02:47 PM
That's because essential:shifty::roll::nope: cargos: 5 lb. bags of Kroger sugar, bagged Texas onions for St Lous Mo.produce markets, molybdenum for Seattle steel mills, pickles fo Der Weinerschnitzl franchisees, Huggies & Kotex for nursing moms , San Diego catfood(or people tuna) for Wynn-DixieTexas supermarkets, copper outta Amarillo for NewYork ski-lift cable companies, Olin insulation for vast Washington nuclear-tower sites,
and kitty litter outta Missouri clay refineries, are critically to the wellbeing of humanity...no matter the whiteout blizzards across Iowa's I-80, barge collapsed bridges on I-40 in Arkansas or I-395 at Minnesota, howling winter tempests across the heated Wisconsin Mackinac bridge, or snipers on overpasses in Pennsylvania shooting motorists...the freight must get thru! Trukkin ain't fer expendible pussies BBY!:arrgh!:

You and many others had a good reason to drive when the weather was against you. Others is firefighters, rescue, doctors a.s.o.
But for the rest who has an ordinary jobs there's no need for driving when there's servere weather.

Markus

Jeff-Groves
01-06-22, 02:49 PM
Now days it's all about "Going Viral!"
How many recall/have done 'Bumper' skiing?
:D

Aktungbby
01-06-22, 03:05 PM
the well being of humanityNow days it's all about "Going Viral!"

:D Indeed!! This went viral: https://www.wavy.com/news/virginia/trucker-shares-breakfast-with-stranded-drivers-on-i-95-in-virginia/ & https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/bread-truck-interstaet-95-snow-survivors-story/2927863/ A long-haul truck driver dipped into his own food supply to feed motorists stranded on Interstate 95 in Virginia gridlocked by a winter storm.

Heavy snowfall and plunging temperatures stranded hundreds of motorists along a stretch of one of the nation’s biggest interstate highways. Having a kitchen in a modern rig aint bad!!:hmmm: This is an incredible thank you to Schmidt Baking Company for your humanity and compassion.

After almost 21 hours of being stuck on 95 South, sleeping here over night, not having access to food or water, and all of the nearest towns being out of power we were tired, frustrated, and hungry. Many of the people stuck out here had small children, were elderly, had pets in the car, and hadn’t eaten in almost a whole day.

We reached out to Schmidt Baking Company and begged them to open their truck that was stuck out here with us. We didn’t think it would actually work, but less then 20 minutes later we got an incredible suprise. We received a personal call from the owner of the company Chuck who contacted the driver. This driver Ron Hill opened the back of the truck and with the help of some people close by passed out bread to more than 50 cars who were all incredibly thankful.

This was one of the kindest moments I have ever witnessed. Thank you Schmidt :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up: :Kaleun_Applaud: :Kaleun_Salute:

Jeff-Groves
01-06-22, 03:15 PM
Yeah. And how many people starve to death in 24 or even 48 hours!
Suck it up BUTTERCUPS! You all headed out KNOWING a Storm was coming!
:nope:

Can't even die of thirst in that time. But then again idiots probably don't know Snow is water!

em2nought
01-06-22, 04:09 PM
Can't even die of thirst in that time. But then again idiots probably don't know Snow is water!

We seem to have just about reached that point haven't we? :yep:

Jeff-Groves
01-06-22, 04:11 PM
We seem to have just about reached that point haven't we? :yep:
I'd say We are beyond that point!
And say it's just Natures way to eliminate the unfit.

mapuc
01-06-22, 04:35 PM
Remember a Swedish article about young men and their driving styles. Remember that the article stated that if a psychological test was introduced, in order to get a driver's license-95-98% would fail this test.

Markus

Kapitan
01-07-22, 11:29 PM

You have never been around the arc du triomphant have you?

On that roundabout people on the round about give way to those coming on the roundabout

You can always trust the French to do things backwards

Kapitan
01-07-22, 11:53 PM
I'm fortunate enough to hold a class 1 license in the UK and Canada so I could if I wanted to drive semi's (lorries) for a full time living.

The bain of any life on our roads regardless of country has to be cyclists or TOTW (T**ts on two wheels), im surprised many can see where they are going with their heads so firmly wedged up their own bottoms.

The differences I & the Mrs have encountered and this is funny with the Mrs yet nearly cost me a fortune in fines.
In the USA and Canada on most red lights you can turn right, took a while for Mrs K to realize you cant do that in England (or Europe).

Stop signs in the UK rarely crop up yet they are everywhere this side of the pond (Canada)

Very few people understand in the UK there are some spots that have minimum speed limits (Dartford tunnel being one) yet its common in the states.

The Mrs had to learn to transition from Left hand drive to right hand drive then back again (this was painful to watch)

People in the UK use the slip road to speed up to mach 2 before joining 30mph traffic and don't forget they must get in front of that lorry.

People in the USA and Canada don't seem to realize that the on ramp is there for you to build up speed and join traffic instead they sit there at 30/40mph then decided to pull out at the last minuet then speed up almost wiping out half a column of traffic.

Platapus
01-08-22, 09:22 AM
Remember that in the U.S. semi trailer rigs have 18 wheels. This means that they can stop much shorter in rain and ice, so don't be afraid to cut Semi's off in bad weather.

When you cut off a semi on poor road conditions, it is customary to pump your brakes while right in front of them. It is a form is saying hello.

mapuc
01-08-22, 09:31 AM
You have never been around the arc du triomphant have you?

On that roundabout people on the round about give way to those coming on the roundabout

You can always trust the French to do things backwards

I guess this law is national in France-In every roundabouts in France driver inside must give way to those who's entering it.

Let stay in this comment

Another question
In Denmark and Sweden there's this traffic law who says that the must be light on during daytime.
Can't remember seeing it when I drive in USA(Been a while since I drove)

Markus

Aktungbby
01-08-22, 11:16 AM
In California, for some time now, U must have your headlights on when operating your windshield wipers. Both my '05 Corolla and the wife's '15 Subaru have daytime running lights so the point is moot...however the still operational mint-condition '86 Camry LE doesn't; so I gotta remember to turn on the lights when using the wipers. I've yet to see anyone pulled over getting a ticket for non-compliance however.:hmmm:

mapuc
01-08-22, 11:23 AM
^ Why headlights on when operating your windshield wipers ?

Can you give me some reason behind this law ?

Markus

Kapitan
01-08-22, 11:44 AM
I guess this law is national in France-In every roundabouts in France driver inside must give way to those who's entering it.

Let stay in this comment

Another question
In Denmark and Sweden there's this traffic law who says that the must be light on during daytime.
Can't remember seeing it when I drive in USA(Been a while since I drove)

Markus

Think you misunderstood my sarcasm in the comment.

Arc du triomphant is the exception to the rule the rest of the roundabouts in France follow the same set up as everyone else.

Aktungbby
01-08-22, 11:46 AM
reason behind this lawIn researching your question, only 18 states ,nationwide, have the specific running wiper-light law to increase visibilty for improved safety'. Other states have a "adverse condition" rule, not involving wipers, while a third rule concerning "night and fog" requires lights w/o the wipers necessarily being used.https://media.tegna-media.com/assets/KFSM/images/b039ac76-8f35-4ad7-bbf3-21af8fdc5a79/b039ac76-8f35-4ad7-bbf3-21af8fdc5a79_750x422.png https://www.5newsonline.com/article/weather/windshield-wiper-and-headlight-laws-state-by-state/527-26aa1172-dc48-4a04-8210-2f9e9621d4f2

Kapitan
01-08-22, 11:48 AM

Markus

Think it was University of Stockholm that did the study but according to what I have read the reason behind it is the human eye is attracted to lights naturally and by having the lights on your more likely to attract the attention of a pedestrian or other motorist.

Edit: sorry thought you were talking about Sweden

Jeff-Groves
01-08-22, 01:14 PM
It's just my personal observation but,
I think Turn signals are optional equipment on Cars in the USA and many people don't choose that option.

Others do choose the optional "Only comes on 5 feet away from your intended turn".

Jeff-Groves
01-08-22, 01:19 PM
People in the USA and Canada don't seem to realize that the on ramp is there for you to build up speed and join traffic
It's caused by the GPS telling them to "merge".

blend or cause to blend gradually into something else so as to become indistinguishable from it.
Many times the 'indistinguishable' ends up being part of a mass pile of crashed vehicles.

August
01-08-22, 03:43 PM

Markus

It improves visibility during a period of reduced visibility and it does help.

mapuc
01-08-22, 03:52 PM
It improves visibility during a period of reduced visibility and it does help.

Of course Rain(fall) and snow, this never came into my mind when asking.

Markus

August
01-08-22, 03:57 PM
Of course Rain(fall) and snow, this never came into my mind when asking.

Markus
:up:

mapuc
01-09-22, 11:24 AM
Sorry for having misunderstod some of your answers I'm not good to read sarcasm and sometimes my brain is out of order.

Following statement is something I was told when I toke my driving license in Sweden.

Put an American in a manuel gearshift car and they will just be sitting there.

This can't be true-An American can drive an automatic as well a manuel gearshift car.

Kapitan
It was Sweden who started with this law that even in daytime a car should have it's lights on-A few years after Denmark followed.

Markus

Buddahaid
01-09-22, 12:48 PM
Put an American in a manuel gearshift car and they will just be sitting there.

This can't be true-An American can drive an automatic as well a manuel gearshift car.

I'm the other way around. Put me in an automatic and I just sit there wondering what I still need to do.

As regards headlights and rain. I can't fathom how someone can drive without their lights on while pretty much everyone else is. Wouldn't one wonder why everybody has their lights on?

Jeff-Groves
01-09-22, 04:08 PM
Day Light running lights were invented for people to stupid to read signs like Pennsylvania has that say "Work zone ahead. Turn on your lights"

Most vehicles turn the lights on when Wipers are activated now days. Again that's for the Stupid.
Hell. Some vehicles are incorporating automatic seat belts! You wonder why? STUPID!

mapuc
01-09-22, 04:15 PM
Day Light running lights were invented for people to stupid to read signs like Pennsylvania has that say "Work zone ahead. Turn on your lights"

Most vehicles turn the lights on when Wipers are activated now days. Again that's for the Stupid.
Hell. Some vehicles are incorporating automatic seat belts! You wonder why? STUPID!

In Denmark and Sweden the headlights turns on when the engines start or when the ignition is set to On(before Ignition)

Markus

Jeff-Groves
01-09-22, 04:21 PM
My 2011 Truck detects daylight so lights are not on at all times.
It does NOT have Day light running lights.
Automatic lights if Wipers are turned on.
But it's 11 years old and stuck at that age level.

mapuc
01-09-22, 04:29 PM
My 2011 Truck detects daylight so lights are not on at all times.
It does NOT have Day light running lights.
Automatic lights if Wipers are turned on.
But it's 11 years old and stuck at that age level.

Different country or state - different traffic rules.

Remember the book of traffic rules I had to learn by memory around 200-250 pages which was needed for my theoretical exam.
(You must be approved in this exam before you can take the practical exam)

Markus

Jeff-Groves
01-09-22, 04:58 PM
Probably not written in any Book here in the USA but I'm very confident once one Gets their Drivers License?
The don't give a Rat's Ass about rules becomes the rule they follow!
Here's a sample of my travels in the USA. And that's just the last couple years.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=1069&pictureid=12231

mapuc
01-09-22, 05:09 PM
If those red dots indicate where you've been then you have been travelling a lot.

Markus

Jeff-Groves
01-09-22, 05:12 PM
Yes. That's part of my job!

Aktungbby
01-09-22, 09:02 PM
Probably not written in any Book here in the USA but I'm very confident once one Gets their Drivers License?
The don't give a Rat's Ass about rules becomes the rule they follow!
Here's a sample of my travels in the USA. And that's just the last couple years.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=1069&pictureid=12231 I'm crushed!!! How could U not have dotted Sacramento!???:k_confused: :Kaleun_Crying:

Platapus
01-10-22, 06:50 AM
If those red dots indicate where you've been then you have been travelling a lot.

Markus

Gotta keep one step ahead of the Sheriff.

:03:

Jimbuna
01-10-22, 01:30 PM
In the UK it is illegal to sound your horn while driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am.

The exception to the rule above is if another road user poses a genuine danger.

Jeff-Groves
01-10-22, 02:06 PM
I'm crushed!!! How could U not have dotted Sacramento!???:k_confused: :Kaleun_Crying:

I didn't have a phone that tracked my where abouts back when We met.
That images shows where I have been starting when the Company provided me with a new fangled device.
:)

Now that I have 2 fancy trackers? I'm gonna see what happens if I leave one at home while I travel!

I also have GPS installed on my dash Cams but it don't show where you've been. Just where any video was taken while driving.
And that's in coordinates.

mapuc
01-10-22, 02:17 PM
In the UK it is illegal to sound your horn while driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am.

The exception to the rule above is if another road user poses a genuine danger.

Use of horn in general here in Denmark the rules says

"The car horn may only be used to prevent or avert danger. You must not use the horn to greet or to express anger with or to mark, for example, a wedding. - The horn must not be activated for longer than is absolutely necessary, which means that you can not just hold the horn in the bottom for several minutes."

Markus

Jimbuna
01-10-22, 02:21 PM
Splashing pedestrians by a pool of water isn’t nice but mistakes happen. If you do, however, splash a pedestrian, it would be seen as careless and inconsiderate driving under the Road Traffic Act 1998. You could face a fine of £100 with 3 penalty points, or if taken to court – as much as £5000!

Jeff-Groves
01-10-22, 02:33 PM
So......
When driving down the road with a defective windshield washer sprayer,
and you turn it on spraying a jet of cold water on a Guy on a bike,
and he freaks and crashes down into a puddle of Icy water when the temperature is around 20 F.
Is THAT illegal since you didn't hit the puddle and splash him?

(That's a TRUE story by the way!)
:03:

Jimbuna
01-11-22, 01:27 PM
In the UK the law goes a bit further – it’s illegal to drive with a dirty licence plate.

You could get a fine of up to £1,000 and fail your MOT test if your plate is too dirty and ‘unreadable’.

mapuc
01-11-22, 01:39 PM
In the UK the law goes a bit further – it’s illegal to drive with a dirty licence plate.

You could get a fine of up to £1,000 and fail your MOT test if your plate is too dirty and ‘unreadable’.

Only one of the licence plate has to be readable and it's the one sitting back of the car. The front can be as dirty it can be.

Can't remember how much you have to pay in fine if it's not readable.

We also have same rules when it comes to Splashing pedestrians/bicyclist.

If it happens you are obligated to stop your vehicle and give the pedestrian/bicyclist your name and number. For insurance.

Markus

Aktungbby
01-11-22, 01:43 PM
I didn't have a phone that tracked my where abouts back when We met.
That images shows where I have been starting when the Company provided me with a new fangled device.
:)

Illiterate Bugger Newfangled is actually a pretty old word. It dates all the way back to the 15th century, and likely developed from the even older adjective newfangle, which probably derives from a combination of the Middle English newe, meaning new, and the Old English fangol, from a verb meaning "to take." In its earliest documented uses, newfangled described a person who was fond of new things, fashions, or ideas. Current usage indicates that newfangled is used—sometimes deprecatingly—to describe anything that is new, hip, hot, or happening, while other times it is used with irony for something—such as rock music—that might have been new at one time but is hardly new anymore. Just make sure the device is in a mylar bag when U near your ''assignment" at Stone Mountain Georgia!!?:arrgh!: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Stone_Mountain_Carving_2.jpg/1920px-Stone_Mountain_Carving_2.jpg

Jeff-Groves
01-11-22, 01:49 PM
Illiterate Bugger Just make sure the device is in a mylar bag when U near your ''assignment" at Stone Mountain Georgia!!?:arrgh!: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Stone_Mountain_Carving_2.jpg/1920px-Stone_Mountain_Carving_2.jpg

Pretty sure the OFF button works just as well.

Aktungbby
01-11-22, 01:55 PM
Pretty sure the OFF button works just as well. jus' B sure yer OFF ain't ON https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQOJ6husuQ :O:

Jeff-Groves
01-11-22, 01:59 PM
an't
contraction of
1. a rare variant spelling of aren't
2. dialect a variant spelling of ain't

I an't so illiterate!
:hmph:

Jimbuna
01-12-22, 01:07 PM
We all know that using your mobile phone whilst driving is illegal, and that applies also when your car is stationary; for example, if you’re at the traffic lights. But you probably haven’t thought about the law when picking up a burger at a drive-through…

Using your phone when behind the wheel is illegal in all cases, unless your engine is off and the handbrake is on. This means that using mobile pay to get that burger could land you with a £200 fine and six points.

August
01-12-22, 01:59 PM
This means that using mobile pay to get that burger could land you with a £200 fine and six points.

So even though you aren't on a public road and are completely stationary they would still pounce out of the bushes to give you a ticket?

Jimbuna
01-13-22, 09:21 AM
So even though you aren't on a public road and are completely stationary they would still pounce out of the bushes to give you a ticket?

Using your phone when behind the wheel is illegal in all cases, unless your engine is off and the handbrake is on.

Jeff-Groves
01-13-22, 12:26 PM
Using your phone when behind the wheel is illegal in all cases, unless your engine is off and the handbrake is on.

I'd be screwed! None of my vehicles have a hand brake!
:o
Well. The '73 Opel GT does but it has no engine right now so would probably be exempt.

mapuc
01-13-22, 01:24 PM
Here in Denmark it is only forbidden to have a handheld smartphone.
In Sweden the law is not so tight-Here you will only be accused if you are responsible for any accident that may occur because you used a handheld smartphone.

Markus

Jimbuna
01-13-22, 01:27 PM
Road rage is a thing – a dangerous one! If you have a short temper, you could get in trouble and face a fine of up to £1,000 or 3 points on your licence. This offence falls under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and could be given to drivers who show rude hand gestures or curse at other drivers.

mapuc
01-13-22, 01:41 PM
Road rage is more common than we think-Mostly it's yelling or showing hand signs towards other driver(s)-
In rare occasion cases it can become physical

Tried to find anything about road rage and fines on Danish pages-Without any luck-I found a lot about road rage and psychology.

Markus

Aktungbby
01-13-22, 02:14 PM
Road rage is more common than we think-Mostly it's yelling or showing hand signs towards other driver(s)-
In rare occasion cases it can become physical

Tried to find anything about road rage and fines on Danish pages-Without any luck-I found a lot about road rage and psychology.

Markus https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61OlevF9tRL._AC_SL1024_.jpg No, that is not illegal. However, road rage or other things that flipping someone off can lead to can be. You should consult with some attorneys to go over your options at this point. You probably were given a notice to appear in court. Make sure you go to it or hire an attorney to appear for you. Otherwise, you will be charged with the additional misdemeanor of failure to appear which is criminal even if you beat the charge.

In general, for future reference, curse at those bad drivers under your breath or silently. Nothing good comes of it. Best case scenario, you vented your anger and the person doesn't care and continues to drive bad. Worst case scenario, you cause road rage or things turn violent. That thankfully didn't happen in your case but it didn't turn out very good for you either. Having been a trucker and motor patrolman, nothing makes me lose it; even in balls-out brazen Boston, Mass. or lower Manhattan NY :k_confused: IS ROAD RAGE A CRIME IN CALIFORNIA?
Road rage is not a specific criminal offense in California. However, you can still be arrested and charged with a crime because of a road rage incident. Depending on what occurs during a driving conflict, one or multiple drivers could be charged with:

Assault
Battery
Criminal threats
Reckless driving
Street racing
Drunk driving
Injury DUI
Leaving the scene of an accident
Resisting arrest
Evading police

Jeff-Groves
01-13-22, 02:15 PM
Road rage is a thing – a dangerous one! If you have a short temper, you could get in trouble and face a fine of up to £1,000 or 3 points on your licence. This offence falls under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and could be given to drivers who show rude hand gestures or curse at other drivers.

:hmmm:
I'd be in debt about £1,000,000,000 then.
Thank Dodge for tinted windows!
:haha:

nikimcbee
01-13-22, 04:33 PM

Do you have to have a mask on and a personal flotation device, whilst using your mobile device?

Sorry mate, you forgot to drop your anchor while using your phone.

That'll be 3 points.....
oh wait, that is not a Coast Guard approved anchor, another 200.
:Kaleun_Wink:

mapuc
01-13-22, 05:11 PM
I'd be screwed! None of my vehicles have a hand brake!
Well. The '73 Opel GT does but it has no engine right now so would probably be exempt.

How's the rules when it comes to these smartphone and driving-I presume the rules is different from state to state.

Markus

Armistead
01-13-22, 10:51 PM
A few years ago I rode my horse by the river then through old downtown to a party. Had a few and riding back through old downtown on the sidewalk and a cop.. pulled me. Somewhat a rookie, but he was figuring if he could get me with a DUI. I told him it was the horse's fault cuz I just sat on it and fell asleep and he decided to head to the barn. However, the laws are here while you can get a DUI on a lawnmower, you can't a horse, so I was free to be own my way.

Jimbuna
01-15-22, 05:10 AM
Does your dog like to enjoy the breeze with his/her head popping out the window, or tends to chill next to you in the passenger seat? Be careful! You’re risking a £5,000 fine and 9 points if you’re letting your pet roam free in the car.

The Highway Code states that for the pet’s safety and for your safety to prevent distraction, your pet should be harnessed or kept in a pet carrier when you’re driving.

Bubblehead1980
01-18-22, 07:29 AM
A few years ago I rode my horse by the river then through old downtown to a party. Had a few and riding back through old downtown on the sidewalk and a cop.. pulled me. Somewhat a rookie, but he was figuring if he could get me with a DUI. I told him it was the horse's fault cuz I just sat on it and fell asleep and he decided to head to the barn. However, the laws are here while you can get a DUI on a lawnmower, you can't a horse, so I was free to be own my way.

Haha that is hilarious. Story goes that my paternal grandfather actually received a DUI on a lawnmower back in the 80's , before I was born. Apparently, ran out of whiskey and cigars, his girlfriend apparently would not take him to get more and hid his keys. So he gets on a riding lawnmower/tractor (his home was in rural area) and went "up the road". For some reason he was stopped and arrested, charges later dismissed. Always made me think about George Jones:haha:

Jimbuna
01-18-22, 01:18 PM
Does your dog like to enjoy the breeze with his/her head popping out the window, or tends to chill next to you in the passenger seat? Be careful! You’re risking a £5,000 fine and 9 points if you’re letting your pet roam free in the car.

The Highway Code states that for the pet’s safety and for your safety to prevent distraction, your pet should be harnessed or kept in a pet carrier when you’re driving.

mapuc
01-18-22, 01:23 PM
I don't know about any traffic rules when it comes to animals like the dog. I have family and friends who have dog and car. Only one of them has his dog lose in the car the others has some kind of safety thing to their dog in the back seat.(not a box)

Markus

Jeff-Groves
01-18-22, 01:30 PM
You have no idea how many people drive around with their dogs on their laps while driving in the USA! I mean the dog is ON THE DRIVERS lap!
I've seen multiple dogs on the drivers lap!

mapuc
01-18-22, 01:37 PM
You have no idea how many people drive around with their dogs on their laps while driving in the USA! I mean the dog is ON THE DRIVERS lap!
I've seen multiple dogs on the drivers lap!

No doubt about it and I presume Jim has seen the same when he was working as Police officer.

But is it legal or illegal to have your dog on your laps while driving and is it different from state to state ?

Markus

Jimbuna
01-19-22, 09:41 AM
Drink driving is a deadly problem. It should be clear to everyone that driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal, but there’s more to it. What you might think is a safe choice after a night out is actually also an offence – sleeping in your car when drunk.

Even though you’re not driving, and your car isn’t even moving, being inside your car whilst intoxicated could mean 10 penalty points and a hefty fine. It’s still considered as being “in charge of a motor vehicle” according to the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Ask someone (sober!) to give you a ride, take public transport or get a taxi – just stay away from your car when drunk.

mapuc
01-19-22, 09:49 AM
^ I think it's the same in every country only difference is how many promille you are allowed to have in your blood.

In Denmark it is 0.2 promille, while Sweden has 0.0

Leave you car when drinking is a good advise problem is where alcohol goes in common sense take a hike.

Markus

Jimbuna
01-20-22, 01:47 PM
Everyone wants to be a hero but you should be wary of when to try to be one. Flashing your lights at another car to warn about a speed trap is considered obstructing a police officer in their duty.

Warning others of speed traps can get you in the exact situation you tried to help others avoid: a fine between £30 and £1000. You shouldn’t be driving over the speed limit in the first place!

Aktungbby
01-20-22, 05:17 PM
in 'Merika', flashing headlights is considered 1st amendment free speech; used to warn, allow someone admittance into a lane; or to allow another driver proceed at a multi-stop(4-way) intersection or to warn of an emergency ahead. It is illegal to impersonate an emergency vehicle by flashing headlight however. The other side plays as well; I got stopped in my rig toward the end of my trukkin' daze for speeding in revenue-strapped hinterlands of Idaho 0200 AM. The officer asked...and was shocked that I had no CB, & no radar detector. "You're not playing the game!??" he asked. He then closed his ticket book out of pity and let me leave!:yeah:

Jimbuna
01-21-22, 05:49 AM
Most of us enjoy listening to music when driving but if too loud, music can put you at risk. Excessive volume is covered by both The Highway Code and The Road Vehicles Regulations 1986 directing to avoid distractions, such as loud music, and to not create excessive noise to others.

As much as you’re loving your new playlist, you need to stay focused behind the wheel. Your music could even prevent you and other drivers from hearing the siren of an emergency car, causing disruption.

Skybird
01-21-22, 07:34 AM

I assume babies must be gagged, handcuffed and placed in the cargo bay?

Eichhörnchen
01-21-22, 09:31 AM
Traffic rules in our country apply equally to men and women... even if women don't think so :D

Jimbuna
01-22-22, 09:34 AM
I assume babies must be gagged, handcuffed and placed in the cargo bay?

Of course :yep:

Aktungbby
01-22-22, 12:56 PM
Most of us enjoy listening to music when driving but if too loud, music can put you at risk. Excessive volume is covered...
As much as you’re loving your new playlist, you need to stay focused behind the wheel. Your music could even prevent you and other drivers from hearing the siren of an emergency car, causing disruption.It's tough to hear the emergency siren when yer "naked ears are tortured by the Siren's sweetly singing" whilst in a Freightliner cabover seated beside a roaring fuel-squeezer Cummins 290 doin' 60+ on West Texas interstate 10...with your Cream Disraeli Gears tape cranked up to max; keeping ya from falling asleep at 0200!:doh:

Jimbuna
01-22-22, 01:14 PM
Visibility is the most important thing for a driver, especially in darker winter conditions. If you live in an area where snow isn’t unusual, you’re used to scraping your windows and removing snow – but do you also take care of your roof?

The Highway Code advises to remove all snow that might fall off. If you brake harshly, the snow on your roof can easily slip down and block your vision, or distract others, which is why driving with snow on your car roof is illegal and might end up costing you £60 with 3 penalty points.

Aktungbby
01-22-22, 01:25 PM
The Queen's coffers must be kept filled!:haha:

Jimbuna
01-22-22, 01:33 PM
Aye, to pay for Andrews legal bills :)

Aktungbby
01-22-22, 02:01 PM
My exact thought as I posted!: Well now that he's no longer HRH officially, U don't have to curtsey to him!

mapuc
01-22-22, 02:08 PM
We have almost the same traffic rules in Denmark and Sweden as those Jim has mentioned.

Markus

Jimbuna
01-23-22, 07:47 AM
We have almost the same traffic rules in Denmark and Sweden as those Jim has mentioned.

Markus

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :03:

Aktungbby
01-23-22, 11:53 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :03:Poor mapuc; he thinks he's hearing echos!:O:

mapuc
01-23-22, 12:01 PM
Poor mapuc; he thinks he's hearing echos!:O:

I hear a lot of ringing in my ears.

Markus

Jimbuna
01-23-22, 01:44 PM
A new rule will see drivers fined £1,000 if they open the door with the wrong hand, as the Highway Code is updated, commencing 29th January.

The ‘Dutch Reach’ requires drivers to use the hand furthest the door to open it to ensure cyclists are not injured.

Those sitting behind the wheel are required to use their left hand, while passengers would use their right.

Drivers and passengers must adhere to the new rule to protect cyclists instead of blindly opening a door, which campaign group Cycling UK estimates can injure up to 500 people every year in the UK.

The rationale behind the move is opening the door with the hand furthest away prompts the driver to turn their body towards the door and look over their shoulder as they exit the vehicle.

In doing so, they will see any cyclists or pedestrians passing by their car that they may have missed if they had not checked.

Under changes to the Highway Code, the new section under rule 239 will now read: “Where you are able to do so, you should open the door using your hand on the opposite side to the door you are opening; for example, use your left hand to open a door on your right-hand side.

“This will make you turn your head to look over your shoulder.

“You are then more likely to avoid causing injury to cyclists or motor cyclists passing you on the road, or to people on the pavement.”

If you injure someone by opening your door you can be punished by a fine of up to £1,000.

No penalty points can be added to the offender’s licence.

August
01-23-22, 01:51 PM
Wow, are they going to start regulating British bowel movements too? It's like HM government is run by a bunch of Karens.

Jimbuna
01-23-22, 02:02 PM
The government are certainly led by a 'Karen'

mapuc
01-23-22, 02:11 PM
When it comes to opening a door in a car one has learned to first look in the side mirror then turn the head back to see if there's any in the blind angle. If there isn't any you can open the door. With whatever hands you want to use.

If you open the door and hurt a person on a bike-you are guilty.

Markus

Sean C
01-24-22, 01:07 AM
When I was a teenager I had a lead foot [and wrist], and so I got a lot of speeding tickets. A lady at the department of motor vehicles once told me I had the most infraction points on my license that she had ever seen. I asked her what I had won. :D

Having had so many interactions with the police, I was bound to have some notable ones. When I was 17 and living in northern Virginia, I was pulled over for doing 110 mph on my motorcycle in a 35 mph zone. That's over three times the speed limit. Believe it or not, I was let go with a warning. The officer couldn't believe I immediately stopped and waited for him. Took him a while to catch up to me.

A few years later, my license was suspended for having so many tickets. But, I still had to get to work. This was way before Uber, etc. and I couldn't afford a cab every day. So I got pulled over twice in the same week while driving on a suspended license ... by the same officer. He let me go with a warning both times. I guess he had enough paperwork to do.

A friend and I were once stopped by a cruiser while walking on the side of a highway at night. We were, in fact, quite drunk (which is why we were walking). I was so hammered that I fell into a ditch while trying to hand the officer my identification. He told us to get in the back of his car. I was sure we were going to jail (being drunk in public is illegal here and my friend was not old enough to legally drink), but he took us where we were headed and dropped us off. I guess he was appreciative of the fact that we had chosen not to drive.

One day, I [lightly] rear-ended a pickup when I wasn't paying attention while pulling out of a parking lot. The truck lurched forward a little, stopped, and then suddenly took off over a curb and crashed into a road sign. I pulled off the road and ran over to the truck to find the driver confused and disoriented. I thought he must have hit his head or something. Turns out he was very drunk - and had his young daughter in the truck with him with no seat belt on. The police actually thanked me for staying on the scene and filling out a statement - before giving me a minor ticket with a small fine. (I think it was for failing to yield or something.) They told me that I had probably saved the little girl's life.

And speaking of listening to music so loud that you can't hear emergency vehicles, I was doing just that on my way to work one day. At a stoplight, I glanced in my rear-view mirror and saw a very angry officer behind me with his lights on, motioning for me to pull over immediately. I have no idea how long he had been following me. I think I did get a speeding ticket that time.

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that treating an officer with copious respect can go a long way. I have since become a much more responsible driver.