PDA

View Full Version : Crash course in Scottish language

Skybird
12-26-21, 07:38 PM
One or to surprises in there that I never would have expected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/which-language-has-400-words-for-snow/p063vmwx

And no, I would not really understand it. :D

After a bottle of Scottish Malt, however, I would understand everything.

Jimbuna
12-27-21, 06:13 AM
I'm a little under seventy miles from the border with Scotland and I and a great many others struggle with their language :doh:

Skybird
12-27-21, 07:24 PM
I like the sound of it, its sound sympathetic, though a bit funny. It also sounds like a difficult language to me. English spoken with a Scottish accent however sounds rocky, harsh in my ears.

em2nought
12-27-21, 10:47 PM
I understood everything the women said in Scotland. The men, I had no clue what they were saying. :har:

Skybird
12-28-21, 03:14 AM
I understood everything the women said in Scotland. The men, I had no clue what they were saying. :har:
Conclusion: their women drink less Malt than their men. :D

Jimbuna
12-28-21, 07:02 AM

I wouldn't be so sure :haha:

Aktungbby
12-28-21, 12:02 PM
I'm a little under seventy miles from the border with Scotland and I and a great many others struggle with their language :doh:

I wouldn't be so sure :haha:

Indeed! they could shout out rugby plays right in front of us on the pitch back in the '70's...and we were clueless as to their intentions. We were clobbered to boot.
Decidely not true malt-wise!.:03: My wife and daughter outclass and out-sample me in the malt dept.; especially in the Glengoygne 20 year elixer! My daughter's RLS museum hosts serious formal whisky tastings as fundraisers. They are well attended!
In 2017, on an extended distillery tour of Scotland incl. Skye, Oban, Edinborough, Doone Castle, etc. we stayed at a beautiful B&B in Grantown-on-Spey. In seeking direction from locals to a recommend bistro with haggis et al, I was hopelessly confounded by their heavy Scottish brogue response. I sheepishly & contritely responded: "I'm so sorry, we only speak American!?" Bemused, they started laughing hysterically at my plight; and immediately, mercifully altered their speech pattern to very comprehensible 'Mericanese!:D

em2nought
12-29-21, 02:27 AM

It did make me question my intelligence when getting into the taxis those blokes drove, and on the wrong side of the road to boot. :D