PDA

View Full Version : Run Away! Run Away!

Jeff-Groves
04-27-21, 12:38 PM
Brood X is set to invade much of the Eastern U.S.A. this year!
Billions, if not Trillions, will emerge from a long dormant sleep underground!
Much like the Martians in War of the Worlds? We have no hope nor way of stopping them!
:o

mapuc
04-27-21, 12:53 PM
Much like the Martians in War of the Worlds? We have no hope nor way of stopping them!

I was like..what does he mean by this Brood X...reading the text gave me the impression of some bugs who will invade USA, Sound like our ants we have here, once per year a million of them get wings and fly away to start a new ant society.

Made a search for this Brood X
interesting stuff about these Cicadas

Markus

Jeff-Groves
04-27-21, 01:26 PM
Yes. I intended it as 'click bait'.
:haha:

Here it is a Big Deal as to a fascinating part of nature and how it all works.
One interesting fact is once they emerge? Bird presence has been noted as being below non-emergence years.
:hmmm:

Another interesting fact is they are quite tasty dipped in a Beer Batter and deep fried! (Pluck the wings first)
:har:

I prefer to catch them Live, pluck the wings then batter and deep fry.
They have a slight, almost onion flavor!

Platapus
04-27-21, 03:58 PM
When they started crashing into my windshield while driving is when I started calling them Al Cicadas

Jeff-Groves
04-27-21, 04:05 PM
When they started crashing into my windshield while driving is when I started calling them Al Cicadas

3catcircus
04-28-21, 03:52 PM
Yes. I intended it as 'click bait'.
:haha:

Here it is a Big Deal as to a fascinating part of nature and how it all works.
One interesting fact is once they emerge? Bird presence has been noted as being below non-emergence years.
:hmmm:

Another interesting fact is they are quite tasty dipped in a Beer Batter and deep fried! (Pluck the wings first)

I prefer to catch them Live, pluck the wings then batter and deep fry.
They have a slight, almost onion flavor!

Soooo... You're all set to go under Biden's plan to cut CO2 by reducing meat consumption...

Eichhörnchen
04-29-21, 03:20 PM
We sometimes get mega ladybug outbreaks (we call 'em ladybirds) also swarms of St Mark's Fly sometimes

Jeff-Groves
04-29-21, 04:06 PM
Soooo... You're all set to go under Biden's plan to cut CO2 by reducing meat consumption...
No. I wouldn't eat one of those fake meat sandwiches if I was starving and you held it out to me in your hand.
I'd cut your hand off and eat it first!
Don't group me into your petty Party fanboy type ideals.

nikimcbee
04-29-21, 06:05 PM
How far north does this horde go?

Mr Quatro
04-29-21, 06:54 PM

Not sure, but I do know it's just on the east side of the Mississippi River unless they can form a bridge with the billions of these little critters like in the scary movies.

Every 17 years is really strange :yep:

Platapus
04-30-21, 06:21 AM

We get them here in North Virginia.

AVGWarhawk
04-30-21, 07:53 AM

A can of Raid! I do recall the last invasion. Women screaming as they ran through the parking lots to get to the stores. Cicadas buzzing after them. They cling to their hair and just about everything really.

AVGWarhawk
04-30-21, 07:54 AM

Depends on how much they are drinking.

AVGWarhawk
04-30-21, 07:56 AM
Soon to be buzzing the tower near you!
https://www.cnet.com/a/img/4WXDaIPoKMPWjqJmpYd0qfuBH0M=/1200x675/2021/04/14/85c8e790-0ca1-4f88-8579-574686ef97f3/msj-cicada-adult-profile.jpg

Moonlight
04-30-21, 08:37 AM
It only lasts for a couple of days you bleeding Wimps, this is one of natures most finest gifts, embrace it and think yourselves lucky that you can witness such a wondrous event. :haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWr8fzUz-Yw

MaDef
04-30-21, 08:51 AM

Here's a map of the North American Periodical cicadas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodical_cicadas#Map_of_brood_locations
Looks like this year it's Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania & parts of West Virginia and Maryland.

They range as far north as New York and south as far as Louisiana.

mapuc
04-30-21, 08:56 AM
It's time to call the Starship troopers or Monty Python to fight these bugs

Markus

AVGWarhawk
04-30-21, 09:03 AM
These cicada come out every year. Of course not in great numbers. Their sound is distinctive. Usually near mid-summer. When I was a kid and heard the cicada I knew that a new school year was near. I still think that to this day when the cicada makes it odd cicada song.

Jeff-Groves
04-30-21, 11:03 AM
It's time to call the Starship troopers or Monty Python to fight these bugs

Markus

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.DM1o3W5jOYhA043l3NxdVAHaLd?pid=ImgDet&rs=1