PDA

View Full Version : All things Elite Dangerous

Von Due
01-05-21, 05:06 PM
So... ED was on sale and I got it. Not entirely out of the blue, mind you. I played Frontier and First Encounters for years in the 90's/00's (and had a short lived go at Elite in the 80's) and after learning about player groups like the Fuel Rats, I finally gave in and bought the game.

Currently I play solo exclusively as I learned there are player groups online who dedicate their time to eradicating new players. That is not what ED is to me.

Luckily, apart from solo mode, there is also the option of setting up private sessions by invite but me being this new to the game I haven't looked too much into this as I am still trying to unlearn what Frontier and First Encounter taught me, and with real life demanding its share of my time, well, learning comes slowly.

That being said: Even in solo mode, ED looks like Frontier having studied the X games in many respects. Multiple ships to fly, all sorts of gear to install and swap around. The graphics are stunning and with around 400 billion star systems to explore, I don't think we'll see the game being "won", ever, if exploring everything is winning.

Curently I am taking a well deserved break, and repairs, after an encounter with 4-6 Thargoids (real nasties if you never played the Elite games). Me out to learn absolutely had to investigate a radio signal that was marked as "nonhuman". They almost got me, had my well armoured hull down to 32%, my hyperjump engine (my escape) damaged and worked roughly 40% of the times I attepted to make a jump. My ship was slightly faster than theirs but either they made jumps to gain on me or they have boost tech that put anything I know of to shame. They hunted me well and truly until I was lucky: The jumpdrive kicked in, FINALLY, and I made a hasty retreat to the nearest station for repairs and a stiff drink.

Anyone here playing ED and if so, anyone interested in a private session without the juvenile pests around who want to ruin it for everyone?

Finally, if you have played it, or are still playing it, any stories, tips, ideas to share?

steel shark
01-05-21, 06:11 PM
ill look in to getting this maybe could be a good change of pace back in the day i loved space sims

all the Wing commander series

privateer the darkening with ships computer "Dani Behr"

Star Lancer

Free Lancer

Tachyon: The Fringe

FTL Is very good actually

Faster Then Light

ive got the FTL - Advanced Edition with the endless Space mod on it

ill let you know after ive looked at Elite Dangerous k

as you said tho yes private or solo best way to go

Steel Shark

Von Due
01-06-21, 06:14 PM
Apart from Elite II/III, the space games I spent waaaay too much time with were
TIE Fighter (best overall space shooter sim there ever was). I have spotted one new feature in ED that is lifted directly from those SW space sims: Power management.
X Beyond The Frontier
X:Tension
Kerbal Space Program (because guns are not needed all the time in every single game in existence)

An absolutely insane amount of time went into all of these. I wouldn't be surprised if ED will end up in the same club. So many things that reminds me of just how crazy big Braben and Ian Bell managed to make space on an 8 bit computer back in the day and how that size exploded with Elite II.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.” - D. Adams

ED fully manages to give us that enormous game world, and filled with things to discover in ways that aren't as utterly broken as it was in Elite III.

steel shark
01-07-21, 12:37 PM
when i first saw your "elite dangerous" post it reminded me of something ive remembered what is was now

last year a best friend of mine died in a motorway crash so after i helped his mum out with sorting his room out & legal stuff

he left no will so was a real mess ect

in the end she left me with his xbox 1 and various other stuff as a thank you for the support & help

ive today remembered that he got elite dangerous so ill make a new account for me & try it out tonight

well that,s my first bit of luck this year

ill let you know how i get on

also im guessing that xbox & pc versions might not talk to each other some times they do

either way a Microsoft account should be transferable to a different machine maybe if not at least i can get some hands on practice to see if i like it ive watch few tube videos its looks very good

a other game i got last year ive remembered was for xbox 1 its called "The Long Journey Home"

its very good space get home exploration & tactical game you might like

Steel Shark

Von Due
01-07-21, 02:42 PM
That's a dark story. RIP to your friend.

I have no idea about different platforms communicating. I guess we'll find out then. About accounts: ED requires an account that can be linked to the purchase, if I'm not mistaking. I bought mine on sale but the price on steam isn't as bad as for many other titles. You can also link your Steam account to your ED account. It passes for a purchase check.

steel shark
01-07-21, 05:22 PM
very good game like freelancer but with today's graphics and you can land & drive !!!

its also got Holly From RED DWARF as a ai voice choice !!!

"if they have also added a holly hop drive all the better"

also dash board add on,s i couldn't find the "hawaiian hula girl" one i was looking for tho ... ha well

ill look in to cross game compatibility if not ill sort something out ive sent you a friend request

and thank you for the RIP for my mate very appreciated

i really wish that meant

Return If Possible

ill be in touch

Stay safe

Steel Shark

Von Due
01-10-21, 07:11 AM
Still hanging out in the beginners' area, I decided to go scouting outside for a bit, and stumbled across something that has me stumped. A space skunk works? Top secret research? Abandoned industry? Whatever it is, whoever built it made damn sure it wouldn't be easy to find. Did a bit of investigating and found that even though the place did seem abandoned, the automatic defence sure worked but had worse aim than storm troopers on a lads night out.

Had to look it up on the internet and found a whooping 2 entries. Both entries were filled up with question marks.

steel shark
01-10-21, 06:34 PM
i found a xbox one compatible joy stick so the games much better now

very good find mate ive heard of this game before but was totally unaware of the Solo part so ta.

ill pursue that other thing we talked about on private messages when i can

so good luck mate &

Turn & Burn

Steel Shark

Von Due
01-11-21, 04:12 PM
Cutting my teeth on combat in this game and damn they upped the complexity a fair few notches from FE. Not only do you have to choose which ship you want to fight in, there is also the build of that ship. FE had it too but on a much, much simpler and smaller scale.

Choose which weapons but also where you want each as the different hardpoints are located on top, underneath, up front, at the rear, all making a difference in what they can shoot at. You want that large compartent to house the shield generator, or you want the biggest engine you can fit in and go with a smaller shield? Don't forget power distributors for the capacitors, and make sure you prioritise which part gets power when the drain is too great.

Then there is fighting. While not entirely DCS level, it certainly keeps you more busy than in the prequels. Set capacitor recharge rates, look out for bandits, work the throttle for that sweet corner speed going over to closing the gap before back into turning again. It's a real workout at the gym this is.

But seeing the money roll in as pirates and murderers get toasted and roasted makes this exercise something I can live with.

Threadfin
01-18-21, 02:45 PM
I have 1,500 hours in Elite, and happy to answer any questions if they arise.

For Thargoid combat you need a special build, specific equipment. the NHSS are Thargoids, and their caustic goo is a pain in the rear. AX weapons and decontamination limpets are highly recommended if you're out to hunt the bugs. You just stumbled in to it this time, but if you want to make an activity out of bug hunting you want to tailor your ship to it.

You asked for tips. A this stage you just want to hang around the starter area until you feel proficient, and then get out. It's neat idea, this zone, and you should take advantage. It did not exist when I started several years ago, and by all accounts it's pretty neat. But module availability there is very limited, so once you feel ready, cast those lines and leave the noob zone to open Elite up.

General tips I would offer are

-- Get a ship goal. identify the next ship you want to buy and make it your goal. Goals in Elite are gold.

-- Don't rush the big boats. So many new players set their sights on Cutters and Condas and grind them out and miss so much of what's great about the small ships. I only own one large pad ship, an Orca, which is really a medium at heart. If you like the big ships then go for it. But don't ignore the others. Like I'm mostly a Krait and Courier commander. I used to have a big fleet, but I set a ten-ship fleet limit, sold the rest and four are Kraits!

-- Don't grind. Seriously. So many new players -- and old players too -- fall in to this trap. As soon as you grow bored of what you're doing, do something else. There is lots to do. Don't burn yourself out.

-- Use third party sites. I couldn't have gotten to where I am without them. EDMC, EDSM, Inara, EDDB are the main ones I use. Inara is the single most useful third party site I've ever used for any game.

-- Look in to engineering. It's a bit of a rabbit hole, but the difference between a well-engineered ship and one without is like night and day. All of my ships are fully engineered. It isn't necessary in PvE aside from Combat Zones. But making your ship hit harder, fly faster, jump farther and have better protection is worth the time.

Von Due
01-19-21, 12:38 AM
^Thanks a ton for your post, Threadfin!

I did eventually leave the zone after getting my Cobra Mk III, and the other ships I could get in the zone. Learning by doing, learning what each ship can hold in terms of modules. Right now I am getting the money to outfit an Asp Explorer for deep space exploring, and while doing that, unlocking 3 engineers that have contacted me. Money now mainly comes from learning basic exploration, scanning and mapping, using the ship instead of an SRV to get geological data, learning how to minimise fuel consumption, and getting a better understanding on how to scoop fuel safely. Still tons more to learn. At some point I will need to look at the auto repair system and how that works, where to find the necessary resources out there.

One thing though, my skills are sorely lacking is in combat against anything other than harmless and mostly harmess light fighters. I am aware of Flight Assist Off but that's a beast that needs tons of time and practice to get down. Not sure if my X-52 pro and rudder pedals will be enough for that in heavy combat. Looking to upgrade my controls later this year. Virpil looks tempting with both left and right hand sticks but the price of those is rather frightening. Anyway, I wouldn't mind a friendly combat sparring partner to teach me to get better at combat. It would have to be according to rules though, like score a hit on the shields and both pilots disengage and discuss what happened.

Trade is another aspect that requires some study: How to find lucurative trade routes using in-game tools mainly.

Threadfin
01-19-21, 07:53 AM
No worries mate, happy to help.

One thing though, my skills are sorely lacking is in combat against anything other than harmless and mostly harmess light fighters. I am aware of Flight Assist Off but that's a beast that needs tons of time and practice to get down. Not sure if my X-52 pro and rudder pedals will be enough for that in heavy combat.I think the X-52 should be plenty of stick. Some play this game with gamepads and some even use KB & M, which is actually great with FA off and fixed weapons. But a better stick is a good idea too if the budget allows. I use a Evenstrain titanium Cougar. I've been using this stick since 2002 lol. I was mostly a Falcon 4 player through the years and it's a great stick for that of course, but it's also great in Elite. For me Track IR is a must too. That, or VR.

Here's a tip that few seem to know of. Shifted commands. A shifted button is one that, when held down, tells the program to use a different command when any button is used, while the shift button is also used. You want to make it a button that is comfortable to reach and hold. Do not assign any command to it. Map your stick as normal, skipping the shift button in the controls section of ED.

Now you are free to assign an entire new set of commands to those same buttons, but when doing so hold the shift button down when assigning the new command in the mapping section. On my stick for example the shift button is S1 (the "pinky" button on the back side and bottom of the stick handle). So a shifted command will show something like Landing Gear = S1 + R2. R2 could therefore be set to toggle nightvision to pick an example, and S1 + R2 is landing gear.

In this way you can nearly double your stick/throttle commands. I say nearly, because you are assigning nothing to the shift button (twice)

I can't know what you're already aware of so forgive me if I'm covering old ground. But as you start to build ships I recommend using one of the third party build sites, like Coriolis or EDSY. These allow you to test build your ships, see what's what, before you go through the process. It can save a lot of trial and error or mistakes. And once you begin engineering (if you have not already) it's even better as you can see the ship before you spend the engineering materials. If you have not seen it, this is the one I use called Coriolis. This is what it looks like, showing my combat Krait II\

Poison Whiskey (https://coriolis.io/outfit/krait_mkii?code=A0pktkFflidussf57l0v0v272704080408 4f05371O2b29C0272i.Iw18eQ%3D%3D.MwRgDKbiOwTNYoFzGI A%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA42Svy%2BDYRDHr%2B3bavu%2B7dv31bd 9i9SPvkhEpAaDiUXSxWTpIqm9QwcSAwmbwSAipkr8AQaDwSAGk W41G0wGsRBDB6Hu3DX6hIboO1y%2Bufvc3fd9ngewBwA%2Bghy a%2Bxz0Cz9AbMsAsIqs7HMdwGv4AMiHc0L6hNzkYBpIlDrVAMK tuh9TatKq1L03omT2ncg5NgFcIXOVNJMB7FPkOnwtaeHuHSeTG w5DGk4LFJBJhQaRXX0goiDOqtZtDhExET2wAIZFjYgaFTUmikK 40h5iy%2Bqp%2FCtRplUKY1FNkrom%2B4PFfoDQSYydihOK4JK Cshzc%2BSeGShGGys9Eub1H9hTtBtK%2FrYO%2F1hndQDEsKKg qN1bh37UkeLtRrsdx4UfdlC47v8bGrtnT4G2cIfOfIYluhli4q KAyB%2BeKs363SRSSy7Zu%2BFy9I35f%2BiQrcnBC4Yey85Jlf GiASVG2vBJPFKU6yZoia4oURWlMCKmJxdILv5Kzez5st7O%2Fr vrrql8UZXC5TdqJcYCZnV7OEvz6fQKwlla6LAMAAA%3D%3D.Ew eloBhBmUDYAsICmBDA5gG2SEBGCQkKEoA%3D&bn=Poison%20Whiskey) Krait II -- Combat Sweeper / Scout Sniper

You can swap modules and mods in this app to test your build to give you a plan. Immensely useful.

Threadfin
01-19-21, 07:55 AM
Something's wrong with that link, first time I've seen that. Perhaps the site is undergoing maintenance at the mo and it should work later.

Since Coriolis is down it seems, how about Inara? This is the site I said was the most useful I've used. It is the sort of thing that Elite should have embedded. What does it do? Lots of things

-- Tracks your fleet and locations
-- Tracks your rank and medal progress
-- Tracks your income and expenditures
-- Tracks all of your materials
-- Has all engineering blueprints, and combined with the point above, shows you if you have enough mats on board to apply that modification. Massive time saver here
-- Tracks your friends
-- Has the full trade network, updated in near real time (all data comes from players and it cannot be up to date at all times, some info lags).

-- Inara is great to find the closest thing you are looking for, whether it be a certain ship or module, a trader, a commodity, whatever. When you have Inara set up right, it tracks your location and a quick search will yield results in ascending proximity. Another massive time saver. These sorts of things make you a much more efficient Elite player. Elite Dangerous Database (https://eddb.io/) is also great for this.

And lots more, but I don't want to bore anyone lol. Not sure if it's public, but here's my Inara page

https://inara.cz/cmdr/69080/

If it doesn't show at least it's a link to Inara itself.

Von Due
01-19-21, 11:33 AM
I am eyeing these
https://virpil.com/en/blog/163-introducting-the-vpc-mongoost-50cm-throttle
https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-control-panel-1.html ideally 2 of these
https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm2-grip.html comes as both left and right hand
And to complete my DCS pleasures
https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/256358-virpil-helicopter-collective-controls/

But price means this is just a mad fantasy at the moment

As for shift states on the stick, I used that extensively in every sim I played the last 20 years. It is a full time job to map everything but the end result is as fantastic as it is confusing after each break from playing :haha:

The x-52 has the option of mapping multiple shift keys, as well as mapping 3 shift states on a 3 step rotary. The shift keys can be momentary or latched. It really is a powerful option this stick if you can handle a myriad of completely different functions to each button, slider or dial. Still, I prefer a cleaner setup with a minimum of shift states as they can be really confusing at times.

Threadfin
01-19-21, 01:56 PM
OK cool, I didn't know how experienced you were, but you've got the controls handled.

Because my stick has lasted so long I've not needed to use any of the newer stuff. I only know of the Virpil stuff by reputation, which is good of course. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

One other tip I think is important is to learn and use module priorities. This allows you to build ships over the power limit by setting priority shut-down order. For example you can set your FSD or SRV hangar to shut down when hardpoints are deployed to save that power for weapons and other doodads used in combat. This is done in the right panel. Disregard if you're already familiar with this.

Von Due
01-19-21, 02:50 PM
Disregard? No, these are good advice and even if I know, my memory is a bit like swizz cheese so do point out any tips, even if it's a reminder, or stressing the importance of something I haven't looked enough at!

Just yesterday did I look up priorities and I can really do with hints and tips for various priority setups for various situations.

Also, just an hour ago did I learn more about heat. Not a lot yet but the concept of stealth is new to me.

EDIT: Oh, and I have had a quick look at trackIR but this being hi tech for my commodore 64 brain, are these kits that come with everything you need, or is it just a camera/software and anything else is for us to piece together?

Threadfin
01-20-21, 08:51 AM
If you buy a retail kit it includes everything. It's a camera you attach to the top of your monitor (or other appropriate place), and a hat clip or similar reflective device. That's all there is to it aside from installing the software.

I cannot recommend it enough. I don't even like to fly without it. Every now and then I'll fire up Elite but forget to start the TIR. I then climb in the ship with a fixed view and it's just so archaic, like I'm back in 1999 or something haha. One of the best simming investments I've ever made.

You mentioned heat and that's a core part of my builds. Many of my ships are engineered to run cool. Heat in Elite is a function of power draw, and a few other factors like power plant efficiency (higher class are more efficient in dissipating heat). So the less power it needs, the cooler it runs.

My Orca for example is engineered to run very cool, it idles at 14% heat. This makes it a great smuggler avoiding scans, and it's difficult for enemies to resolve it on their sensors. My Diamondback Explorer also runs that cool.

I build my ships to be very fast, run cool and jump far. I'm willing to trade integrity and firepower to achieve this. But with engineering it's a matter of degrees since you can usually cover most deficiencies with modifications.

Threadfin
01-20-21, 09:15 AM
Looks like Coriolis is back up. Here are a few of my ships

Sunburst (https://coriolis.io/outfit/orca?code=A0pftkFflsdksif5---020h0808--mh37451N-2i25.Iw18aQ%3D%3D.CwRgDATG07bjBYg%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA 41Qu0oDURCdvNRkzS65bh4E8bmmSCGpxcJGsBD8hfyAYKGQInb aWVlYpbC00pR%2BgB9goSBorRYWFiKi2TmeEXaxsPAWh2HOgzN XdFxE4jxhdEwoH5ZEKvcZkeiI4LWzIsjomokKJtonuGuaatEnM HH%2BCCCrtZTfJQRGNYYMDWe%2BgOppILK4U2dSTpupsmdJl14 if%2BAy7Fcpyrv4GQg23hhd0BUz5MxwQFjqj4DWjQJFSy1d0D9 vuwUDjGk3Occ1nxjSfQWWOx%2BkPG0lST%2FRbmDVJ3Xrj21Z1 9OaA6OsnOvsiTSuiiKzdz5r%2Bv8RTelmKtq2Vr0Xtlp958FWL TyL%2BT9mrJCUyAB1baeeE4J3y9Gfm6bIJmeHRzYB8vt9A4cP1 4vMAQAA.EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwVyKBQA%3D%3D&bn=Sunburst%203%2F20) Orca -- Interstellar Style Magnet

This ship is very fast and runs very cool. Good jump. Used for sightseeing, bulk transport, VIP transport, rescue missions and criminal smuggling. Unarmed. Fantastic canopy view. One of my favorite ships.

Mad Hops (https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer?code=A0p5taFflddisdf5---0802--48321N02v60g252i.Iw18SQ%3D%3D.MwRgDKZdMaxnEA%3D%3D .H4sIAAAAAAAAA0VQPS8EURS9uzOL9dgXm5kxIbE%2BhkIhahH RaMRfkOwfkCiQLXY7pUqhUmgkEpFoJH6ARq9USDQKhWoLdu91T jFvX3Hy5t7z9UZ0XESGNcDgEjAdTYnM7FdFiq%2BKiLvHzSq6Q 1JEUg%2FQfIxF%2FG5LJFvEcOJjYGZVzYLTCcAXv2Y5mcnCn1n a8yIrx7Owi3QuMDu0e3Yl%2FR3DpJuCFGudpJj7p08z3%2F5BS E23QpNzwGoX0WtvalY%2Fg%2F%2FkA5yWOFsm2Ji2y6TmBU063 2Yb232snO6FEtfcb56ixCu%2B8xckt24b%2BA%2BYS0FwBPN6E DRH1NDO0y5nu%2BRuiHfyCSOhpboeNFfU3KBnoz8PEsMKgiNYp ocl00xG5x9AE98yowEAAA%3D%3D&bn=Mad%20Hops) Diamondback Explorer -- Deep Diver / Bubble Runner

DBX used for deep dive exploration, a bubble-runner and anytime I need to go far, quick. Fantastic jump range near 70. Recently took this ship out to Colonia to unlock all the engineers there. DBX is a great little ship.

Poison Whiskey (https://coriolis.io/outfit/krait_mkii?code=A0pktkFflidussf57l0v0v272704080408 4f05371O2b29C0272i.Iw18eQ%3D%3D.MwRgDKbiOwTNYoFzGI A%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA42Svy%2BDYRDHr%2B3bavu%2B7dv31bd 9i9SPvkhEpAaDiUXSxWTpIqm9QwcSAwmbwSAipkr8AQaDwSAGk W41G0wGsRBDB6Hu3DX6hIboO1y%2Bufvc3fd9ngewBwA%2Bghy a%2Bxz0Cz9AbMsAsIqs7HMdwGv4AMiHc0L6hNzkYBpIlDrVAMK tuh9TatKq1L03omT2ncg5NgFcIXOVNJMB7FPkOnwtaeHuHSeTG w5DGk4LFJBJhQaRXX0goiDOqtZtDhExET2wAIZFjYgaFTUmikK 40h5iy%2Bqp%2FCtRplUKY1FNkrom%2B4PFfoDQSYydihOK4JK Cshzc%2BSeGShGGys9Eub1H9hTtBtK%2FrYO%2F1hndQDEsKKg qN1bh37UkeLtRrsdx4UfdlC47v8bGrtnT4G2cIfOfIYluhli4q KAyB%2BeKs363SRSSy7Zu%2BFy9I35f%2BiQrcnBC4Yey85Jlf GiASVG2vBJPFKU6yZoia4oURWlMCKmJxdILv5Kzez5st7O%2Fr vrrql8UZXC5TdqJcYCZnV7OEvz6fQKwlla6LAMAAA%3D%3D.Ew eloBhBmUDYAsICmBDA5gG2SEBGCQkKEoA%3D&bn=Poison%20Whiskey) Krait II -- Combat Sweeper / Scout Sniper

One of my many Kraits, this one is mainly used to prowl RES and CNBs to scoop up the valuable mats from combat kills. I also reconfigure it a bit to hunt Thargoids. The Krait II is my favorite ship in Elite.

Anyway, just a few ship builds for you to look over. I love discussing Elite ship building, so if there's anything on your mind fire away.

Von Due
01-20-21, 11:08 AM
I probably need to work out how to build my own button box(es). A quick calculation tells me a full virpil setup with dual sticks will cost me more than 2000 euro. Doable but not in one go, that's for sure.

Really appreciate those links! They're gold.

Like I mentioned, I am working up the money for an asp explorer for deep exploration far away from the bubble. I've gathered that "range" is essentially 2-fold: One is the jump range but equally important is endurance, in lack of a better word: The range via multiple jumps before refuelling is necessary. That, I believe, is a function of fuel tank size, fuel consumption in normal flight/supercruise as well as ship mass in fuel calculations for single jump range. I haven't looked at distances near the edge of the galaxy, or what kind of stars I will find there but I think, I believe, that if I trade off some single jump distance for increased endurance, I will get further out to find scoopable stars far out there. The big question is then how should I split capabilities between these 2 different measures of range.

Threadfin
01-20-21, 11:27 AM
I've gathered that "range" is essentially 2-fold: One is the jump range but equally important is endurance, in lack of a better word: The range via multiple jumps before refuelling is necessary. That, I believe, is a function of fuel tank size, fuel consumption in normal flight/supercruise as well as single jump range. I haven't looked at distances near the edge of the galaxy, or what kind of stars I will find there but I think, I believe, that if I trade off some single jump distance for increased endurance, I will get further out to find scoopable stars far out there. The big question is then how should I split capabilities between these 2 different measures of range.

One of my proudest accomplishments in Elite is having never run out of gas! Haha, but plenty do. If you ever find yourself stranded call the Fuel Rats (https://fuelrats.com/) ! It's a group of players dedicated to saving commanders stranded anywhere in the galaxy. Saints among men.

As to the range/endurance issue, it is certainly something to be aware of, and improve if possible. For me though, jump range is the thing. Endurance is also important, but with a fuel scoop and scoopable stars, it really is a minor one for me. There are places you can go where KGBFOAM stars are few and far between, and then it become vitally important! But in general terms endurance is not a big deal, as long as you have a scoop.

If you look at those builds I linked to, you see a few modifications to increase range. Aside from any weight saving modifications, the important ones are FSD engineering and the Guardian FSD Booster.

The FSD has the long range modification with the mass manager experimental. Mass manager reduces the amount of fuel gulped during each jump, which in turn boosts the endurance (or total range on a single tank. Jump range and total jump range are displayed at the top left in Coriolis). The GFSDB is a special module that requires jumping through some hoops to acquire, and adds a flat boost to jump range with the amount depending on module class. Check youtube.

You can mess around in Coriolis and try various modules and engineering to see what effect it has.

AspX is a great ship, it was my third ship, but I've since sold it. But I do have a lot of experience building and using one. I took my first real exploration trip in an AspX, 5000 light years out to unlock one of the engineers.

Von Due
01-20-21, 11:40 AM
If the game galaxy is what we believe our real galaxy is like, then scoopable stars (Oh, Be A Fine Girl. Kiss Me as they taught me in physics class years ago :haha:) should be in a minority compared to non-scoopable ones. My cosmology knowledge leaves a lot to be desired so I don't know how these scoopables are distributed throughout the galaxy.

Oh and the fuel rats: I am aware of them. Their existence was indeed one of the reasons why I bought ED in the first place, me being less than optimistic about online behavour from some players learning about the fuel rats changed my mind about this particular game. So not only are the rats awesome in my book, they are partially to blame I now spend hours each week on this game :haha:

Threadfin
01-20-21, 12:01 PM
I use a third party site called Elite Dangerous Star Map for my exploration stuff. It tracks all discoveries. A few months ago I flew to Colonia and back as mentioned. That's a long trip :)

EDSM allows me to see how the star class breaks down. You may be right that KGBFOAM stars should be in the minority, but if so, it's not reflected in my experience.

https://www.edsm.net/

Some stats from that trip

Distance Flown: 53,296
Jumps: 887
Systems: 854
Scans: 6,699
Exploration Data: 536 million

I made tons of first discoveries, thousands, which now all have my commander name on them as first discovery. This was the thing that drew ME to Elite, the notion that I could stitch my name across the galaxy for perpetuity (or until Elite 2 haha)

On that trip I scanned a couple thousand stars, and by far the most common I found was K, followed by M. But these numbers are affected a little because I filter my route planner to avoid some of the least desirable star systems. I am hunting for Earth-likes, Ammonia Worlds and Water Worlds, since these are most valuable and beautiful. So if I filter say T class out, I will find fewer of them (as main sequence). But the bottom line is that even on a trip like this I was never more than a jump or two away from a scoopable. If you become a deep explorer, one who goes away for months at a time, then you certainly can find yourself stranded with no scoopables within range. But for the vast majority of play it won't be an issue really.

Von Due
01-20-21, 12:10 PM
Your experience with main sequence stars is gold. Real world is real word and game worlds are game worlds, what may be true for one doesn't have to be true for the other, thank goodness! It could very well be that scoopables are more frequent all across the galaxy here than in real life (and even real life is down to theories since most brown dwarfs are practically speaking "invisible" from Earth and noone knows for sure how many of them there are).

Threadfin
01-20-21, 01:52 PM
Good hunting commander and if anything pops up give me a shout.

One last tip, that I'm sure you know...

Never fly without rebuy!

Von Due
01-20-21, 03:12 PM
Just reached Felicia Farseer and did my first mods to my FSD. I am grateful someone took his time to explain the various options in a clear and easy to grasp way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImFJ0FqIaBk

Judging from the open comms channel leaking over from Open play, I am glad I entered this system in solo mode. Plenty of newcomers getting shot up by other players there.

Anyway, going to look closer at what I need for the various mods and experimentals, then off to get the next engineer.

Threadfin
01-20-21, 03:20 PM
Awesome. If you only engineer one thing, the FSD is it.

Yeah, stay away from any engineer bases in Open, is my advice. Gankafalooza.

Most of my flying is in a Private Group. But I fly in open sometimes. I like the threat of other players, it makes me hyper aware. Good fun. But I will only fly a few of my ships in Open. I have a very fast Courier that you aren't going to catch unless you're also in one (or a Viper or iEagle, but these ships are a match). I'll fly that, my Fer de Lance and sometimes one of the Kraits. I won't fly the others in Open. I've lost just five ships in 1,500 hours. I approach the game like it's really my life on the line.

If you fly in open, always have a high-wake destination pre-selected so you can jump if it hits the fan. Low-wake is subject to mass lock and that's no good.

Von Due
01-20-21, 03:39 PM
For the heck of it, I am pondering spending FSD range mods on the asp. I am terribly tempted to try to make the stealthiest Cobra I can, just to see how that works. I also have a Viper I will probably turn into a drag racer at some point. We'll see. A bit bummed out the Panther Clipper isn't in the game as it was my goal to get one every time I played the older games. It had a ridiculous cargo capacity.

Threadfin
01-20-21, 03:58 PM
Yeah man, why not? People thought me daft for building a smuggling Orca :D

But I love it.

Experiment all you can. But you know, this is why Coriolis is so useful. Engineering mats are Elite's true currency, and it can be costly to engineer mistakes. Coriolis lets you build it all before spending the mats.

One way to mitigate this is to own ships that share core module class. Like a Krait II and a Python, or a Courier and an Eagle/Viper. Now you can engineer one module, but swap it between ships for testing purposes.

In case you were not aware, Felicity sells a special set of thrusters called Enhanced Performance. Perfect for small ships like Courier, Eagle, Viper. They have much higher performance but a much lower optimal mass. But if you can build the ship within the limit it's a big performance boost. This is what you want to use in your drag racer Viper. Check my Courier, which uses these

Velocity (https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_courier?code=A0p0tzF5l3das8f20s0s27080808 082t023r25252i.Iw18UA%3D%3D.MwRgDBlZBM4uIA%3D%3D.H 4sIAAAAAAAAA42RvUsDQRDFJ8ndmdwlOe5M4iESP3KKWAjaCYI 2YieCwTr2KQQbFS3yH4iktLCwsLRMaWFpYSNYBLG0UFELCz9mf CPcilbZ4vF29zePYYa4j4i%2BbMjnIaTQzBMF9TRR%2FJIi8jp wkuIFhTIK7UP8%2BF2kMukSZbuolDRXTMhW8h%2BdWUSl6odIe ccnqm0OgMzwoCF3IWHHS3BNKu2VAVk8k0D%2B9oNIeHkrIjbPm dIWJJdnEbcdEI2qG1M3rm5CnTjc%2BBtyficyPf%2BGpCyvmaQ qxG7kiJzmE5pYfBSpHdwDyvUCubxuIJ2OU38V8fUrvOmCbDwD8 njZQEcQ78RBT6sYTKAuukBwrE7yPZMFXlLSSsjwdAPkLO7RFRY 6nMZYMQXgKp6KFHtOD3jFkE0dYIQFljUkUDxm3VLIUwZqa9w1b HFkCJC68Bg1sTrp%2FyV%2FXoutSLuztTtbu1NI6P%2F5BiJ4P TqbAgAA.EweloBhAWEA4QFMCGBzANokICMF8hRFA&bn=Velocity%205%2F10) Courier -- Speed Demon / Bounty Hunter

It could be much faster, I had top boost speed at 850 at one point. But I wanted to use it for bounty hunting and as I added weapons and protection the speed came down. Still very fast and a lot of fun to fight in. I black out all the time from the G-Loc lol. 785 boost.

And my iEagle, which I use for wake scanning, canyon joyrides and just faffing about. 820 boost.

Smokeless (https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_eagle?code=A0p0tzF5l3d5s8f2---0h2t3r25---2i.Iw19kA%3D%3D.CwRhGYAZJa9Wcg%3D%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA z2QvUoDURCFZzd%2FmpvNsstujCkEdU2RwgcIgq0IvoO1WAgWR kggRUptLKx9BMs8gl2agI2FIEQQy2ihcY5nit1bfMWcM2dmrmh NRP7KxOqOCM7qItGTJ5INCZf4IvD00EyemUZE2FCg9cimtSWL8 LVlesX0S9OzH6BterL1C6QPocjuxQadJe0UzgERT11uf2ExOU5 pKsezdyA8WgKoaN8aStYwIfaGK6A75%2Fz1K6bWb9m%2FbbUdA 6p6mufHz68MGXwC%2BwfflFz8schTAz0p1jgn0mkg4reZULWto xvOyzb5M%2B7L7m9qr%2Fike4seN0Sabzw6umYxMzgDIMX7Byd ELgxaAQAA.EweloBhAWEoUwIYHMA28QgIwV3fEQA%3D%3D&bn=Smokeless%203%2F17) Imperial Eagle -- Wake Scanner / Canyon Racer

Von Due
01-21-21, 12:23 PM
Just started playing with coriolis. Powerful indeed!

For some reason, the FSD doesn't show up correctly here but I maxed the range out of it (I think!) even though it defaults back to stock when linked
https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp?code=A0p8tdFfljddsnf5--2l---2x---f60W1N300i1lv62i.IwgMIyukg%3D%3D%3D.Aw18eQ%3D%3D.H 4sIAAAAAAAAA2P4x8bAwPCXFUhwm3AwMPDy%2FPv%2FX5CDnYF BqOXV%2F%2F8qd4Ay%2Fxn%2F2cMU%2FakHEhxHOBkY%2BG2%2 B%2Ff8vtoAfKM%2F8TwouXwEk%2BFV%2B%2Ff8vtIObgUGkRpS BQQJsCMs%2FQ5gi%2Foo3QPkz9%2F4DAZDLAAAipo8ohQAAAA% 3D%3D.IwegLCoAwgnAbCAHCApgQwOYBtUklISDCUA%3D&bn=AspX%20001

This one is a bit impractical for scientific exploration but it shows the endurance can be ridiculous
https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda?code=A0p1tiFklndksxf5----------------f7f6f6f6f5f537----56-.Iw18ZXEA.Aw18ZXEA.H4sIAAAAAAAAA1WPuw7BYBiGX6dqizQ VpbE5jkJiEgmX4hIklg4SSy%2FAJbgMYwejSxAxihhMElL%2F6 %2FuJJr7hWd7nO0EZAF45QWFoAqWiIl0zD5TDC9k%2BSMKUmvy keCUwdxbgjO9kdeNInlZ%2Bki8ETvQgK35Mejcb8Keyo7U%2Bk 8yoemIG2mw%2FyfK2AFSWnpifdVk1%2BElOcJV8f5TWnBolraH AmtcAu%2B8CDT2kqdHR6OoXaKjZ%2F5DoRPb0zSS%2B9QYtJ%2 FWp%2FAAAAA%3D%3D.IwegLCoAwgzATCGBTAhgcwDbJJK%2BlC og

Threadfin
01-21-21, 01:01 PM
It's because the FSD is shut off. Check the power priorities below. Click the FSD to turn it back on, save and post link.

Nice jump range but I suspect you're too far over the power limit to cover it with module priorities? Maybe a different power plant, different PP engineering, or lower power draw somewhere else would need to be done.

Personally I only use A rated power plants because they are the best for heat. And I use the smallest one I can get away with. Most of my builds have a PP that is A-rated and one class lower than the slot calls for. Usually a little overcharged or armored engineering. Power Plant always gets done last. I theory-craft the ship, then install whichever PP I need to cover the power costs.

I only use A-rated dirty drive thrusters because speed is life.

I don't recommend additional fuel tanks but blaze your own.

Swap E-rated life support for D

Pulse wave only needed for core mining or sub surface

Class 3 scoop is mighty slow :)

I'm active on the FDev boards and post a lot in the ship subforum. One thing I try to be aware of is my tendency to try and change other commander's ships in to my own. But I'm a big believer in the 'blaze your own' mantra so I hesitate to be too critical, since my thing ain't necessarily your thing.

I should add that I have very specific requirements for ships to be part of my fleet, and any ships that fail to measure up are sold. My ships must jump at least 30 light years and boost at least 500 m/s. So my builds are always done with a eye towards hitting these figures. I like them light, fast and able to jump far. I don't mind compromises in other areas to make my ships as fast as possible while still able to perform the intended role. I am also a big proponent of having dedicated builds, and not trying to turn one ship in to a jack of all trades. For example I have a core miner Krait, a rumble bus Krait and a combat Krait. Just swap ships and go, no module swapping needed. Of course as a new player funds are limited and you can't splash the cash on a big fleet at this point.

Von Due
01-21-21, 02:18 PM
Great inputs! Just a quick note on fuel tanks. I have a very partiicular mission profile in mind. To get to the center of big areas (if I can find them) with no MS stars within range unless I carry the necessary fuel to make it out again.

Threadfin
01-21-21, 03:46 PM
OK, good luck commander :)

Threadfin
01-22-21, 08:22 AM
I hadn't flown Elite in quite some time, but all this discussion gave me the urge to and I took one of the Kraits out last night for a bit of bounty hunting. I have a goal to hit triple Elite and I'm not far away now, just need to get combat rank over the line. Nice bonuses on bounty hunting at the moment. Thanks for the thread Von Due, got me back in the 'pit :)

steel shark
01-22-21, 10:33 AM
i had to dog sit at a house last night so i finally had time to go on ED again

"k so i know know my canopy can get damaged" !!!

also i tried to call the AA space side screen repair service but the line was engaged .... typical

nise touch i wasn't expecting that at all

ive on purpose not looked at any videos so i got new thing to experience

also we in the distant future were the only know oxygen tank KNOWN to all science is the size of a coke can ......

i hope that that can be upgraded or a canopy blown out can be repaired in space

P.s Thank you again "Von Due" its a good distraction i need atm while im dealing with stuff

Steel Shark

Von Due
01-22-21, 10:51 AM
Hey, welcome back, steel shark. I was wondering how things were going there. Yeah it is a great game, isn't it! So similar to Frontier/First Encounters and so different!

As for emergency oxygen, you can upgrade your life support system to give you plenty of time to get help if the situation is dire.

Two life lines in Open play:
Fuel Rats: If you're out of fuel, oxygen is running low and you don't want to die in space
https://fuelrats.com/
It's for real though so don't use it if you don't need it. Same goes for

The Hull Seals
https://hullseals.space/
if your ship is so damaged you can't get back to safety

Threadfin: Hah! Awesome! Have a blast!

Threadfin
01-22-21, 10:52 AM
You can synthesize life support. Because of this I see no reason to ever use anything other than D-rated life support as long as you have some nickel and iron on board, and you should always have nickel and iron on board.

https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Synthesis#Life_Support

Canopy can only be damaged if the shields are shot away. If you engineer the shields well, this will be rare in PvE. I haven't lost shields in three years. Which isn't to say I'm a great pilot, but that engineering is strong. Then again, all of my ships are fast shield tanks. I don't own any of those Fed bricks :)

steel shark
01-22-21, 11:42 AM
im modifying one of my coldwaters panels to be a elite dangerous panel for android pads so you could design your own panel for key strokes if you interested ill send you my results

when done

this would add a nise glass cockpit look to go with the joy sticks

the example panel isent mine it just gives an idear of the thing im after making

mine would be xbox one or pc compatible

tho the xbox one

one would have to have set keys all ready set in to it

as xbox one is more restricted then a pc

Steel Shark

Von Due
01-22-21, 12:35 PM
^Wow... that is both impressive and super cool! You've built that from scratch? How do you even hook an android thingy up to ED? My tech knowledge is not great, as you can tell!

steel shark
01-22-21, 02:29 PM
a day or 2 back i was at some ones house so dident have any net or laptop so i modded my joystick a bit

very luckily my joystick & throttle has got 4 bottom threaded holes for mounting to a frame ect

so i put carpet on the bottom of the wood then put 4 bolts through that so the joysticks are now rigidly connected to a wood base

thats a good size for me to use when on my old leather sofa armchair

ill buy some cheap mouse pads at some point for the top and stick em to it then re bolt the joystick back on to it

this thrustmaster hotas one can be combined in to on but that makes its too close in

so i spaced it its also got a curve when split in the middle so i made sure a xbox controller will fit im currently working out the angle for the pad to sit at when i can get to that

and am trying different pad graphics ive seen on the internet
i think ones that look back lighted will be used

this pic is the new idear i had

new variant testing angle for pad at back might go horizontal or vertical or move it to were xbox controller is so its closer

im waiting for a taxi atm ...... its late

Steel Shark

steel shark
01-22-21, 02:31 PM
im very good at technology Both practically and software wise so i can help you out with pad installation stuff so no problems m8

Steel Shark

Threadfin
02-15-21, 01:24 PM
This thread came to a screeching halt, but I've been wondering Von Due if you're still at it? Did you get around to engineering your FSD? Just curious as to how you are getting on.

Von Due
02-16-21, 07:18 AM
Still eyeing it but real life demands my attention at the moment. Still researching which controller setup to get, not to mention how much it will cost in total, VAT, import tax, the works. 1960 euros is a lot and if there are extra costs, I want to know what figures we're talking about.

I decided to let go of the grind as soon as I have contacted 2 engineers, just for completeness, then it's off to deep space.

Would like at some point to find one of the private groups where PvP is a NoGo.

Threadfin
02-16-21, 09:08 AM
Yes, I understand completely.

Which setup results in that cost?

I use a modified Cougar, MFG Crosswinds and Track IR. Total cost of this gear is US$1550. But then again, the Cougar was purchased 20 years ago, the Track IR 8 years ago and I only recently got the Crosswinds. So from a cost per year point of view it's perfectly reasonable in my view.

I fly in a PG with friends. If you don't have a group to do this with, have a look at Mobius

https://elitepve.com/page/join

Von Due
02-16-21, 09:44 AM
Which setup results in that cost?

I'm getting an ED/DCS setup and it looks like Virpil is what I'm going for.

2 grips, 3 bases (central base for DCS), S-extension for DCS, throttle and 2 button boxes should get me something to last a long time. Also waiting for news on their collectives.

Thanks for the headsup on the Mobius group. Seems like it's what I'm looking for.

Threadfin
02-16-21, 06:32 PM
Yes, that's top-notch gear, good choice. Pulling the trigger is another matter, I understand, but if you're in it for the long haul it will pay off, not only with any improvement to your piloting and heads-up ability with all controls at your fingertips, but it will last as long as you play games and sims. I think it's worth getting high-end kit, but it's not my money so I can understand if you are hesitant about shelling out that sort of dosh. And maybe you're not, just want to be sure you're making the right choices.

Mobius is perfect for Ellte commanders who like the idea of a social setting and populated spaceways, but don't care for non-consensual PvP combat.

steel shark
02-17-21, 05:41 AM
really liking the The Fer-de-Lance

p.s hope you both well

Steel Shark

Threadfin
02-17-21, 09:21 AM
I like it too. This is mine, as outfitted for the current CG CZ. Usually it mounts other bits and bobs set up for assassinations and pirate lord missions. FSDI, GFSDB and scoop for example. But I swapped that for HRPs for the CG

CZ FDL (https://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance?code=A0pftfFalidpsif37o27270s0s080404 080404B21J2b2725m1.Iw18WQ%3D%3D.MwRgDKLl5j%2FzEA%3 D%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA42SKUwDYRCFp9fSdnuwS7ctR8rRBYEgt VXUEDAkJJhK8BUVkCBA4BEIgkJUIBFIBEFhK5sgGoKsAU2gzDC vSf%2FQBsKueHnZ9%2F0z8x%2FEE0T0FVNJd20ipxYm8l9CRHZ LnYR4Hbla6p%2BoZIt9kXxDF8V7Ec3DnB%2Bu7x8g9z9EirdRo lzpU8RrZYnKzYKSEZ4x5JGKe2cP8a7%2BzB17CkU5ASiEvPEmM mgnMa6apacqiRSLJC8cokW4JbhluBU4sXgfeARF0Hqt8i4yPYj iXDeVkEfRP1afJbJu0jopJpHED4j%2BgpJBIJt3DVRSKdZeFdr TPVrYXfm8p7tLBYHSvGGgK5wz6ruVQ8UflZx%2Fymi7DG%2BOQ Pa1peSO3oMDNyB9OMny1ijZ1NNzIP5ZUvPJIO2cf4q4gceZ4m1 DNlTCuHYLr8iu6jU5zyoeevr3%2BvLE41WDX6Lwg9rMwpyScC4 enQ8n%2BXGybci2IeGkME52DNkxJJwI%2Ffp9A1pB2l5KAwAA. EweloBhAOEoUwIYHMA28QgIwV3fEQA%3D%3D&bn=Eagle%20Weslake%20CZ)

Great speed and protection.

It is light for a FDL, which takes full advantage of the speed and agility. It's heavier as shown here than it usually is due to the added heavy-duty engineered HRPs. No armor upgrade aside from Heavy-Duty on the stock alloys. Shields like these will never collapse in PvE unless you are taking wing assassinations or something, so the integrity is more for peace of mind, and CZs where some NPCs can bypass shields. In typical RES, CNB and CZ combat it is pretty good. Thermal resists are key in my view, but I've gone with Reinforced and Hi-Cap just to maximize mj, and thermals resists are made up through the boosters. Usually anything over 40% is fine, but 50% would be better.

The huge multicannon has corrosive, and the outboard mediums use autoloader, with efficient beams. Thermal Vent keeps heat in check and allows continuous firing. DPS may be low for a FDL, but I'd bet DPM is not. One cool thing about the huge mutlicannon is that it has no spin-up time. The autoloaders do. What this means is that by having all multicannons on the same firegroup a quick pull of that trigger spits out single huge corrosive rounds, and holding it down longer spins up the autoloaders, in effect making it act like a dual-stage trigger. I really like this. It allows me to apply corrosive without being profligate with the mediums. So I can keep the beams on a dying target, popping off a few corrosive rounds to increase damage.

Von Due
02-17-21, 09:37 AM
Alright. Good news is, there is no import tax on these controllers. The not so good news is, at 25% VAT, the whole thing will be 2,447 euros. Still doable. What I'm not so sure about is, apparently their customer service is suffering from phobias to emails and phone calls, according to some. 1 year warranty is a bit on the low end. 2 years as offered by VKB seems more common.

I have kind of looked away from VKB as it appears they don't currently have the throttle and button boxes. They are not cheaper either! and there is no word on when their S-extension will be back in stock. Still, I haven't looked away from them entirely.

As for ED, still honking my way over to my 2nd engineers, then another trek over to the 3rd and then we'll see what happens. Currently saving up for a maxed out AspX but unsure if I really want the grind to max out on the FSD, or if the stock FSD will have to do.

Threadfin
02-17-21, 09:54 AM
It's a big commitment, and that's serious money for a hobby. Obviously I'm in step with you here, and I think the investment is worth it if you are more than casual about this hobby of ours. I don't know if would help, but here is a thread from the Frontier boards from last summer with comments about the Virpil gear in Elite

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/virpil.543024/

Are you registered on the Frontier boards Von Due?

I also understand if there is anything that fosters any doubt, like the customer service you mentioned. For that sort of money you want to make sure you are making the right decisions. I don't know what gear you have now, but as all of these peripherals are unique USB devices (unlike say my Cougar where the stick and throttle are seen as one) maybe you could do it in shifts, adding one piece at a time and mixing and matching. One of the guys in our group has a mixed Warthog and Virpil setup for example. Good luck and keep us informed of how it goes.

Von Due
02-17-21, 10:14 AM
Serious money indeed but I wonder what my wallet would have said if the weather and real life allowed more of my main hobby/interest, rc helicopters. A single battery pack costs the same as a low end HOTAS, like real low end. Even my trainer cost me more than the X45 I bought an eon ago.

Now I have the X52 Pro + pedals. It's a fine stick but it's getting old with a microswitch starting to fail. I REALLY could use button boxes too. What made me decide on these high end sticks was partly because they could be extended. For heli use that really comes in handy. The 52 is a tad short for really fine adjustments, or it's just me being heavy handed :har:

Last, no I haven't registered on their site, to my knowledge. I have tried to limit the forum activity or else I'd need a book full of UN/PW for each. My memory is shot to pieces and having to keep track of all those passwords becomes a nightmare.

Threadfin
02-17-21, 03:31 PM
OK fair enough, but the Frontier boards are pretty salty and good fun.

I spent the past week in Elite doing a number of things. Participated in the CG, and qualified for the permit. The rewards were lame, but it gave me something to do and a reason to take the FDL out for something other than assassinations. Conflict Zones are a bit of a step up over CNBs and RES sites. Great pace to the combat, better ships to fight against. It was good fun.

Spent a couple evenings with the commanders in our PG out at some Guardian sites picking up the stuff needed for Guardian modules. I've unlocked the FSD booster and the shield reinforcement before, and wanted to get what I needed for the Guardian fighters. I've yet to hire a minion in my Elite career, it's something I am saving for when I hit combat Elite. Minions steal some of your XP and cash, so I haven't cared to have one on the payroll.

And as always I've done my fair share of bounty hunting and assassinations in order to both raise that rank as well as gather mats, which is a never-ending process. I enjoy the combat, and carry a collector controller plus some limpets in a Krait II designed for this role, I call it a combat sweeper.

Poison Whiskey (https://coriolis.io/outfit/krait_mkii?code=A0pktkFflidussf57l0v0v272704080408 4f1K371O0329C0272i.Iw18eQ%3D%3D.MwRgDKbiOwTNYoFzGI A%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA42Sq0%2FDUBTGzx4d67qta9mjAzIeK5A gyBCIKTAkMyjMDAlYgpiAZAIScAgEIQRMBX8AAomYJCjmEWSSI AA1QWCcwzlNerOQkaziy5d%2Bv%2FPovQUcAYAfjaV3zmK0wgC poySAVWdn3xkAbjcEQCFcETIk5CGLmUSi%2FG0UIO7nYcyrTnu Su19E2dI3Ue7aBHCELDcKTEZwTJHNgPQnZQ9yTD5zQlFcEigie a3LufdCRBpWVekxiy5LJC4sgGlxM%2BJmxc2JoxhuB01sGb1Y% 2BSQq%2BlEc66qT5FFZQquPA8RuUrypv4SOGwoqsWhbOue7H0T O6jtR%2BeyVd0oMAxl94%2BC%2FcclhoBTWFHQlN9bgz7VE3NM E52lcU7knpydVdmWfD%2FaeF5t8SjNk9jXxBjTJDNPEwnUF7bC EnR5RTO7ZqPKRWh2WnJBui38yyuOCwi9l5gPb9NQEk%2BJs%2B UtccVTATECazTe%2B%2B8cOH6Hzt76t6tuqXhwVcTMg7cw8wPL JKL8lGPT8AgLnehUBAwAA.EweloBhBmUEYBsICmBDA5gG2SEcI EhTFA%3D%3D%3D&bn=Poison%20Whiskey%20X)

For me, this is Elite's best ship. Such a nice blend of speed, agility, shields, firepower, optional slot space, cockpit visibility and swag. I have four Kraits, all outfitted and engineered for specific roles. One is this combat sweeper, one is a rumble bus and armed merchant cruiser, one is a core miner and one is a Phantom deep space scientific exploration vessel. I limit my fleet to ten ships and four of them are Kraits :)

Von Due
02-18-21, 03:45 PM
Just noticed: It does seem like I registered on the Frontier forum when I registered the game. Alrighty then.

Threadfin
02-19-21, 08:34 AM
OK cool. It's a good forum full of salt like I said.

Here's what I did last night. I had mentioned to one of the commanders in our private group that I was struggling to find polonium, and Commander Wingnuts pointed me towards a guide for biological POIs.

So I flew out to the polonium market Wingnuts suggested. 1,600 light years from Barnwell. That's 27 jumps in Mad Hops, my Diamondback Explorer, and I scooped and scanned along the way, the cool-running DBX doing both at the same time. Did a lot of FSS'ing. Not much good stuff, but I did find one AW and stuck it with probes. Arriving in the system I FSS'd the whole thing, 49 planets, and the polonium market was the second to last one I did. Ha, but at least the rest is done. It's a low-wake of 153,000ls, and once there I picked one of the biological sites and set her down in the wide open flat ground right next to the site. What a change from the gorges I was visiting before.

Deployed the rover, and ambled over to the bio site. Found the crystals and started shooting them off. In a little more than an hour I had filled my Polonium. That's 49 (x3) of them! Imagine getting 150 PIs in an hour. That's what this is like. I didn't need to relog (and I don't think that works on these sites anyway) and I didn't even come close to clearing it all. Got some nickle too while I was at it, and that's an often-used synthesis mat, so good on me. Not only was it insanely productive, it was fun. There is a lower, flat area and more on a hillside. The terrain is challenging, but not ridiculous. In order to shoot the crystals, you need the right angle, so SRV positioning is key, and you get totally involved with that. it's also very low gravity, and I made a game of catching the polonium before it hit the ground. I caught 27 in a row at one point before one fell just off my port window. Track IR is great for polonium snatching.

I'm going to hit more of these while I am out here. When I am done I won't need to do more prospecting like, forever. I still will, because I like mixing the rover in to the activity rotation, but I won't need to. As far as mat gathering goes, there is nothing I've done that is as productive for the amount of time spent. Think how far just half of what I got would go at a mat trader. Awesome.

Here's Mad Hops Junior on the hillside. You can see the wide open landing plain, with the DBX in the background.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/29136/filename/PoloniumMarket.jpg