PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a cooking thread?

ET2SN
12-27-20, 05:29 PM
I was doing some shopping on Amazon just now and found this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7sQAAOSwzkVfPj5r/s-l400.jpg

:rock::woot: :sign_yeah:

Zataran's Caribbean Rice mix is awesome but it hasn't been available for a while, at least not locally.
While its sold as a side dish, it makes an outstanding full meal if you add to it. Such as..

I start a couple of cups of water* boiling in a pan and then cube a raw, skinless/boneless large chicken breast**. The chicken gets added to a hot oiled skillet with a dash of salt and a liberal amount of Tabasco sauce (about 6 shakes). While the chicken cubes are frying, add the rice mix to the boiling water. On the package directions, when you are told to reduce heat to a simmer, also add the fried chicken cubes and stir well.

Just before the rice is finished cooking, add about 1 tablespoon of sour cream (for non-north americans, sour cream is the dense, milk-based putty you serve on a baked potato, plain yogurt might also work but I haven't tried it yet).

And that's it. Serve in a bowl like chilli. :yeah:

Makes a great cold-weather dinner but is also a quick dinner for any time of the year.

*- Its been at least several years since I've been able to buy this stuff. Just follow the directions on how much water to boil. If it calls for butter or oil, you can omit them since you'll also be adding chicken fat later.

**- You want about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of raw boneless chicken. Fry until the chicken cubes look to be cooked, it will cook fully once you add it to the rice while it simmers.

Skybird
12-27-20, 06:16 PM
Do we have a cooking thread?

I recall we had cooking threads on pizza, pommes frites, and steak. :03: Oh, and waffles. :up:

mapuc
12-27-20, 06:51 PM
Do we have a thread on Gourmet when it comes to cooking ?

Markus

Mr Quatro
12-27-20, 09:50 PM
A lot of food from the island have MSG in it, but not this one ...
Watch out for Greek food though :yep:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQKnQBZws8UDPXzqYhd6NdITHWTs1 0WiC6YOoBDZ30NJrEM6kEfQ0UL4fGITMlH2YajwJFpUcKK2yGr wmOzjs4A0km4DzS

This one can be microwaved too :yep:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZvwboH6P4Jr5NLXoEnHFCwPoMm7m MDn6NYw5Og4cwTKpv8hZwqvpFrBnxfWl1HG3okRATm1jxBMSc9 tCj9XYDa9xw42LU

Mr Quatro
12-27-20, 10:04 PM
Here's a nice seasoning for any food, but it's expensive :yep: $10.95

No msg and made in the USA :up:

U Simply Season Chinese Five Spice - Asian Meat & Pastry Seasoning Mix

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/63b34126-b5be-4499-93be-e094316aa949_1.559ee0bc7e1df3e6c7a76b6b5927bdda.jp eg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

Jimbuna
12-28-20, 09:21 AM
Here's a nice seasoning for any food, but it's expensive :yep: $10.95

No msg and made in the USA :up:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/63b34126-b5be-4499-93be-e094316aa949_1.559ee0bc7e1df3e6c7a76b6b5927bdda.jp eg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

Whenever the wife sees Five Spice in a recipe she replaces it with something else because the fragrance of that stuff is overwhelming (her words not mine).

Jimbuna
12-28-20, 09:24 AM
I was doing some shopping on Amazon just now and found this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7sQAAOSwzkVfPj5r/s-l400.jpg

:rock::woot: :sign_yeah:

Zataran's Caribbean Rice mix is awesome but it hasn't been available for a while, at least not locally.
While its sold as a side dish, it makes an outstanding full meal if you add to it. Such as..

I start a couple of cups of water boiling in a pan and then cube a raw, skinless/boneless large chicken breast. The chicken gets added to a hot oiled skillet with a dash of salt and a liberal amount of Tabasco sauce (about 6 shakes). While the chicken cubes are frying, add the rice mix to the boiling water. On the package directions, when you are told to reduce heat to a simmer, also add the fried chicken cubes and stir well.

Just before the rice is finished cooking, add about 1 tablespoon of sour cream (for non-north americans, sour cream is the dense, milk-based putty you serve on a baked potato, plain yogurt might also work but I haven't tried it yet).

And that's it. Serve in a bowl like chilli. :yeah:

Makes a great cold-weather dinner but is also a quick dinner for any time of the year.

Here in the UK, Uncle Ben's varieties are quite popular https://www.unclebens.com/rice-products/all

ET2SN
12-28-20, 10:31 AM
Here's my go-to secret seasoning:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/1d34081d-7fb2-4483-9ef4-7ca64dbbf1cb_1.e928a4c09c2ef8247485e15be26b2b47.jp eg?odnWidth=100&odnHeight=100&odnBg=ffffff

Works great on steak, pork, and my infamous Friday Bob-o-burgers. :rock:

Not to be used on fish or root greens like spinach , Sazon is a flavor enhancer and not exactly a spice. When things go wrong, they usually turn bitter.

ET2SN
12-28-20, 11:26 AM
Here in the UK, Uncle Ben's varieties are quite popular

Uncle Ben's is a great stand-by in the pantry, but Zatarain's is Cajun. :D
The flavors are much bolder but not over-done.

Here's what I consider perfection in a cardboard box:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81Jz6ECRAwL._SL1500_.jpg

At most, I'll add some pieces of bacon or maybe some cubed ham, but it literally needs nothing but water. :yep:

Skybird
12-28-20, 11:39 AM
Lets talk of Salmon then. The Germans most preferred fish, mine as well. I now love it, have it 2-3 times a week. Chicken went off the menu card almost completely for it.

In Europe, take Norwegian salmon from aquaculture. Never Southamerican or Asian aquaculture, conditions are bad.

From aquaculture, becasue:
1. natural salmon is under pressure
2. natural salmon has to fight for its living and thus has less oil and thus less taste.

Salmon caught in the wild, gets frozen, transported to Asia, thawed up, gets processed, then gets frozen again, gets shipped back to Europe and then gets sold as either fresh or frozen salmon. Its nutrient content is less, therefore.

Salmon from aquaculture in Norway gets frozen and transported to sales in Europe, it gets frozen just ones, and travells for less time, therefore it contains more nutrients: short time, gets frozen just once, and quicker so.

For comparable reasons: frozen vegetable form the supermarket very often has higher content of vitamines and minerals than fresh vegetable in the same supermarket. The frozeh stuff simply did not have as much time for oxidation than the "fresh" ones! Believe it, its true. Only if you get it off the field yourself and immediately cook it, you can run en par with frozen vegetables from the supermaket fridge.

Frozen food like fish and vegetable thus often is much better than its reputation.

Norwegian aquaculture is superior to that in Asia and South America. Less chemicals, better environment management, electronics and lasers (!!) fighting against skin parasites, no use of antibiotics there anymore (instead young fish gets vaccinated). The last controversial chemical agent used for fish food, etoxy-somthing, has been banned in the EU last summer, and was not used in Norway since long time before.

Contradicting info on Omega-3 content. Some sources say wild salmon has more, others say aquaculture salmon has more. Fish food in aquaculture has been reduced in fish meat and has more soy (bad) and plants (okay), but so the Omega 3 content has been decreased (fishes usually do not build Omega 3, they only eat and store it). That the content of Omega 3 in aquaculture salmon has been redcued, is beyond doubt, but how contents compare between wild and farmed salmon is being debated.

You see, some counter-intuitive info there. Many people think wild salmon tastes better, and is healthier, because it lived free. Its not so. It had to work, it has less oil therefore, (had no time to store reserves in body fats) , it got plenty of stress hormones - and higher levels of contamination, because it got around quite a bit! Also, wild salmon is a sin to pay for, its too expensive.

Do not mistake - in Germany - Seelachs with Lachs. Seelachs is just salmon-surrogate fish. The term is historical, used for various codfish species (Dorsch- and Kabeljauartige). But Lachs is a Salmon - a Forellenartige. Therefore, in Germany you have to be on your guard, they sell Alaska-Lachs beside Alaska-Seelachs. Its not the same, its lightyears apart. I now avoid them both, got burned severla times.

Salmon from Alaska is always wild caught, they do no aquaculture there, I read.

I prefer frozen aquaculture salmon from Norway any time, I do not buy wild salmon anymore: taste worse, costs much more. Norwegian aqualaculture, frozen: best taste, best quality, fair price. I now avoid wild salmon, it tastes cheap in comparison, and when it was frozen, often I doubted that it even was salmon.

How to prepare? 2 pieces of 125 gr each: in the pan, mild heat, 2.5 minutes from each side, not more.

Two ways of seasoning it in use over here:

Manually, an oily sauce of a very good, mild olive oil, a bit of lemon juice, salt, black pepper (coarse) and plenty of dill. Simple, but delicous. Matches many fishes.

The other way:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTagHOo2grREaQ7eW5sb-a-GK4_3jK6zK_oQPXnA0F8czs_OuT_WQ&usqp=CAc
Originally I found this to be the ideal burger sauce. I do not do burgers anymore, but the sauce I kept, for salmon, and only for this. It is the ideal taste for this fish (and no other). Believe it, the taste matches the fish ideally. There is nothing of industrial food taste in this combination, it is a perfect marriage. If I would have giotten it in an expensive restaurant, I would have gotten fooled, I would have bought it.

I prefer Millet to this fish, cooked in salty water with a grated carrot. Cook it together in the same pot, makes it an easier kitchen job.

Final tip for fish: fish from the Baltic not more often than once a month. The baltic is the most heavily polluted (mini-) ocean in the world.

Other fishes I like are Herring in dill-cream, catfish (breaded and deep-fried), Thuna (rarely only these days, its very heavily contaminated since it lives long), and Mackarel. I recently found my way to eating shrimps, with a recipe that was claimed to be used in the South of the US, with use of Sherry, chicken soup and onion and chilli. Can be tricky ove rhere to find good shrimps from a non-c ritical water.

ET2SN
12-28-20, 12:36 PM
If you ever get tired of the way you cook salmon, invest in some of this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81T8xYzw-tL._SL1500_.jpg

:D

Just lightly dust the filets before cooking.
It adds a bit of a punch. :D

Way back when, my Mom used to make an incredible New England-style fish chowder. One day, she got her normal box of spices mixed up with some Crab Boil spices and she got upset, like she ruined an entire pot of chowder.

It was awesome, especially since we weren't expecting to get punched in the nose by the heat. :yeah: It quickly became the new family tradition. :yep:

Skybird
12-28-20, 01:01 PM
If you want a kill-the-dragon-double-boot-kick with inrun meteor-impact-kind of experience in your mouth, try this. Hotness is an invention made in Korea. And this is just instant. I tasted Korean cuisine live, original (friend of my Mum), I wished I could die. And I swear I did. You just read an echo from my former mind.

https://www.kj-market.eu/en/iimg/43/600x600/i.jpg

Shin Ramyun. Keeps you speechless, for long time.

Cook with 50-100 ml less water, serve and eat hot.

Just kidding. ^ Don't. :D

ET2SN
12-28-20, 01:39 PM
Just kidding. ^ Don't. :D

I was homeported in southern Japan and our skipper would make runs to Korea whenever it looked like we were getting bored. :D

Good, homemade Kimchi should peel the skin off your lips. :yep:

Hot soup is good if it knocks you out of your chair. :yeah:

UglyMowgli
12-28-20, 02:51 PM
My 2 favorites cooking channel:

Fun and good receipes

https://www.youtube.com/user/foodwishes

This one is for the newbie at cooking

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCekQr9znsk2vWxBo3YiLq2w

ET2SN
12-28-20, 10:13 PM
Ohhh.....no.... :k_confused:
Nothing good will come of this and we'll be lucky to survive. :o

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/918SiWlUqhL._SL1500_.jpg

Or, as someone else once said, "The ### is evil and must be punished."

Skybird
12-29-20, 06:42 AM
Good, homemade Kimchi should peel the skin off your lips. :yep:

Always wear gloves when preparing it. Else you could easily loose your fingerprints. :)

mapuc
12-29-20, 11:20 AM
By the way you talk mentioned hot meal. This made me remember what happen to me in 2005.

I was visiting Holland where I met some dear friends-those were
Dargo, DeerhunterUK, Bluebeard, Sharkey, Neal and some others.

We were at some restaurant and I was looking at the menu to see what they served.

I found one with three stars. Hmm this must mean very delicious so I ordered it.

I have never been drinking so much Coca Cola and water during those 15-20 minutes it toke me to eat it.

My mouth and tongue was paralyzed totally.

I learned a lesson-three stars means very, very hot.

I like hot meal, but this was way too much

Markus

Skybird
12-29-20, 11:30 AM
If those Scovilles are ribbling up your tongue and throat, never drink water or softdrinks or wine or beer, but something with plenty of fat in it: milk, cream, even oil.

Water makes it worse, not better. :D

Personally I see no reason for getting this hot that you do not taste anyything anymore. A certain, mild hotness that is one nuance of taste amognst the toher aromes, okay, fine, I' in for that. But if it kills my tongue and I cannot taste anything else anymore - what use is in that?

mapuc
12-29-20, 11:32 AM
If those Scovilles are ribbling up your tongue and throat, never drink water or softdrinks or wine or beer, but something with plenty of fat in it: milk, cream, even oil.

Water makes it worse, not better. :D

And you are once again right. I was told this some year later.

Markus

Jimbuna
12-29-20, 02:08 PM
By the way you talk mentioned hot meal. This made me remember what happen to me in 2005.

We were at some restaurant and I was looking at the menu to see what they served.

I found one with three stars. Hmm this must mean very delicious so I ordered it.

I have never been drinking so much Coca Cola and water during those 15-20 minutes it toke me to eat it.

Markus

That brings back a hot meal based experience I had many years ago.

A friend and I went to an Indian restaurant owned by a friend of my fathers. I ordered my usual Madras curry and he ordered a Phal curry but not only that, he asked for it to be made as hot as possible.

As we began eating our meal my friend started sweating profusely meaning he was repeatedly wiping beads of sweat from his forehead and drinking copious amounts of water which didn't appear to easing his culinary discomfort.

The owner of the restaurant (Raj) obviously noticed and appeared with a fresh tomato and suggested my friend bite on that, which he did and the burning sensation in his mouth was suddenly greatly reduced.

At future visits when we went out for a curry he never ventured further than a Vindaloo.

Mr Quatro
12-30-20, 05:05 PM

Markus

This would make a great "Got Milk" commercial, uh?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIYlbLhnsYRDcM2Tqr43vA75p4kpZME pIzLw&usqp=CAU

Rockstar
05-27-21, 04:21 PM
Cut the tops off three tomatos and set them aside.

Scoop out the seeds and hollow out the tomato making it into a bowl.

Sprinkle chopped chives, and a layer of your favorite cheese.

Add one whole egg (yolk & white), salt and pepper to taste

Sprinkle some more chives, add a little mayo or salsa. Top with more shredded cheese

Oil a pan and place the tops you cut earlier onto the pan cut side down. Then place the tomato bowl on top of them. They hold the tomato bowls upright as they bake.

Bake uncovered about 25 minutes @ 390 F

d@rk51d3
05-27-21, 11:06 PM
Cold smoked salmon is great, but I hate cooked salmon.

Seelachs is a favourite with boiled or fries eggs.

The Korean Shin-Ramen are also an old favourite, but not that hot, and are pretty mild after a few serves.

Catfish
05-28-21, 01:08 AM
No one mentioned Surströmming yet :rolleyes:

les green01
05-28-21, 01:21 AM
ah sharkey and deer hunter miss the times i had with them two but i'm still on kp been 20 years might have to get a free Les petition going man my food comes in a can open up can grab spoon finish toss in trash except fish and meat i kill but i save them for when the times gets rough

Skybird
01-07-23, 05:18 PM
https://www.dw.com/en/how-to-make-authentic-english-fish-chips/video-64305202

Well, I like fried fish, and I like fried potatoes (chips, fries, Fritten - however you call them). But I cannot get used to have vinegar on fish or on chips.

German chips (Pommes) are traditionally served with salt and mayonaise or ketchup.

Most comparable to British fish & chips is a dish over here consisting of fried fish like the British do it, plus potato salad. In Southern Germany, potato salad indeed is made with clear sauce that includes also vinegar (and I do not like this version of potato salad at all), but I prefer the more Northern way of doing the potato salad with onion, mayonaise, cucumber. This is also the majority of industrially produced potato salds available in supermarkets. The fish I like then as "Müllerin Art".

The taste of frying oil. Delicous. Just the quality of the oils used for frying is always a health desaster: inflammatory Omega-6 in absolute overkill doses (when using sunflower or rapeseed oil, with soybean oil and peanut oil all kinds of other allergens are further added in high doses) . Why must all delicious things be a hazard to your health, and most healthy things boring and bland, often even bad? :wah:

I "oil-fry" potatos in the pan nowadays, using coconut oil (looses its coconut taste when being heated) or cleared butter. I prepare them like "Bratkartoffeln", but without any herps, onions, bacon. When done, I dry them a bit, and have salt and mayonaise on them. That way they are and taste like chips/Pommes Frites to lets say 90%. Works good enough for me.

Fish I almost exclusively have either in Tomato sauce or in a hot chilli oil for pasta (tuna or makarel), or grilled salmon with a self-made dressing of avocado with dill, wild garlic, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, olive oil, parmesan.

mapuc
01-07-23, 05:29 PM
Here we use remulade* to our pommes.

When it comes to potato salad I know only two who makes according to me a perfect potato salad.
My Dear Mom
the local grill bar just on the other side of the Danish German border.

When I'm in Germany shopping I use to order a portion of they potato salad and a Kieler knacker

* When I try to translate the word Remulade-I get the word pickles. When I then do a search for pickles I do not get remulade.

The closest I can come is that this famous Remulade is mayonnaise with pickles.

Edit
Skybird wrote:
"Why must all delicious things be a hazard to your health, and most healthy things boring and bland, often even bad?"

Came to think of a motto I have:
It's not the question on how old you get, but how you lived your life.
End Edit

Markus

Skybird
01-07-23, 05:31 PM
Ah, I did not immediately find it.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229915

Skybird
01-07-23, 05:33 PM
Here we use remulade* to our pommes.

Slobber I do! I KILL for a good remoulade on boiled eggs! Unfortunately, the oil issue hits home again. I have become a Nazi regarding oils. So: I have remoulade rarely, but when I have it, the tube does not last over the day. It dies during the very same meal I opened it for.

Once a year. Das muß mal sein. :hmph:

em2nought
01-07-23, 07:21 PM
Here's my go-to secret seasoning:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/1d34081d-7fb2-4483-9ef4-7ca64dbbf1cb_1.e928a4c09c2ef8247485e15be26b2b47.jp eg?odnWidth=100&odnHeight=100&odnBg=ffffff

Works great on steak, pork, and my infamous Friday Bob-o-burgers. :rock:

Not to be used on fish or root greens like spinach , Sazon is a flavor enhancer and not exactly a spice. When things go wrong, they usually turn bitter.

I tried that Sazon last year and was decidedly underwhelmed. I'm more about this, particularly the Annie Chun's
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61GdoPbCQaL._SL1500_.jpg

I can't get used to fish with tomato sauce, haven't ever tried some gochujang on fish. Hmm?

...and potato salad has to be Pennsylvania Dutch along with a slice of Lebanon Sweet Balogna.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61vM0UpoqgL._SL1000_.jpg

Jimbuna
01-08-23, 02:58 PM
https://www.dw.com/en/how-to-make-authentic-english-fish-chips/video-64305202

Well, I like fried fish, and I like fried potatoes (chips, fries, Fritten - however you call them). But I cannot get used to have vinegar on fish or on chips.

German chips (Pommes) are traditionally served with salt and mayonaise or ketchup.

Most comparable to British fish & chips is a dish over here consisting of fried fish like the British do it, plus potato salad. In Southern Germany, potato salad indeed is made with clear sauce that includes also vinegar (and I do not like this version of potato salad at all), but I prefer the more Northern way of doing the potato salad with onion, mayonaise, cucumber. This is also the majority of industrially produced potato salds available in supermarkets. The fish I like then as "Müllerin Art".

The taste of frying oil. Delicous. Just the quality of the oils used for frying is always a health desaster: inflammatory Omega-6 in absolute overkill doses (when using sunflower or rapeseed oil, with soybean oil and peanut oil all kinds of other allergens are further added in high doses) . Why must all delicious things be a hazard to your health, and most healthy things boring and bland, often even bad? :wah:

I "oil-fry" potatos in the pan nowadays, using coconut oil (looses its coconut taste when being heated) or cleared butter. I prepare them like "Bratkartoffeln", but without any herps, onions, bacon. When done, I dry them a bit, and have salt and mayonaise on them. That way they are and taste like chips/Pommes Frites to lets say 90%. Works good enough for me.

Fish I almost exclusively have either in Tomato sauce or in a hot chilli oil for pasta (tuna or makarel), or grilled salmon with a self-made dressing of avocado with dill, wild garlic, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, olive oil, parmesan.

Takes me back to the days when I was living and working in Holland (Dordrecht). Friday in the factory canteen was predominantly 'fish day' and I was the only person who asked for their fish to be fried unlike my Dutch colleagues who preferred theirs raw/pickled.

One day one of my Dutch colleagues commented "You Brits are really funny, when I was in London (he was an ex-submariner in the Dutch Navy) I noticed you eat your fish and chips from newspapers"

I responded "yes, that is an old British custom but we also ensure the fish is cooked prior to eating it"

Skybird
01-08-23, 04:47 PM
I responded "yes, that is an old British custom but we also ensure the fish is cooked prior to eating it"
And that the paper has been properly red...!

Raw or pickled fish, even worse: Sushi, is not my thing. Only exception: Herring in dill cream.

Rockstar
01-11-23, 02:08 PM
I just had a vegan breakfast, it was pretty good. Did you know if you break-up/crumble a 15 oz block of extra-firm Tofu into bite size pieces. Throw into a fry pan add Tumeric it gives it the color of scrambled eggs, damn near same texture too. Not as tasty as eggs but season with a little cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt pepper or Sriracha or whatever and I doubt you'd know the difference.

Goes great with hasbrowns, topped with sautéed garlic onions, tomatoes and cilantro.

It wasn't a true vegan meal, the recipe calls to cook in olive oil. But I have to have butter, butter always makes it better. Oh, and cheese does too! :yep:

Rockstar
01-22-23, 03:58 PM
Things are expensive these days but the eye of round roast is still the cheapest. Reason many don’t use it is because it’s one tuff cut of beef you’ll spend all day chewing on it. The solution is pineapple. Discard the crown then dice and purée the pineapple skin and all, dump into a large bowl for a marinade. Cut the eye of round into two inch steaks and marinate them in the pineapple NO MORE than two hours in the refrigerator and let those little pineapple enzymes got to work. Afterward rinse well, season and grill them or pan fry that cow. They don’t char as well as untreated beef but boy are they ever tender.

Works well on other cuts but be careful the marinade it will dissolve beef into a mush if left in too long.

Commander Wallace
01-22-23, 04:07 PM
Things are expensive these days but the eye of round roast is still the cheapest. Reason many don’t use it is because it’s one tuff cut of beef you’ll spend all day chewing on it. The solution is pineapple. Discard the crown then dice and purée the pineapple skin and all, dump into a large bowl for a marinade. Cut the eye of round into two inch steaks and marinate them in the pineapple NO MORE than two hours in the refrigerator and let those little pineapple enzymes got to work. Afterward rinse well, season and grill them or pan fry that cow. They don’t char as well as untreated beef but boy are they ever tender.

Works well on other cuts but be careful the marinade it will dissolve beef into a mush if left in too long.

If you take a lesser cut of meat and use a pressure cooker, it comes out pretty well. I tend to sprinkle a little bit of ground garlic along with sliced onions. In a roaster or pressure cooker, this infuses the meats with acids breaking down the proteins in the meat. Using a roaster pan on a low heat setting and cooking all day makes for a tender cut of meat as well.

The pineapple or orange marinades will break down the protein collagen matrix and as you said, make things tender.

Rockstar
01-22-23, 06:21 PM
Im in Florida now, it's grillin' season all year. Gotta char that cow. :salute:

ET2SN
03-15-23, 07:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_lEE5TynVs

:Kaleun_Salivating: :D

This is about as simple as it gets, all you need is that extra day.

Magic powder is only salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
For Salt Pork, check in the bigger box stores or ask the butcher.
Lard should be easy. In a worst case, you can use Crisco but you'll lose a little flavor.

Try to not jump the shark. Beans need to mellow out for at least over night after you cook them the first time. If you want to add some extras (hot peppers, chopped olives, celery seed, etc.) WAIT until the last cooking step before you serve them. :up:

ET2SN
06-08-23, 12:24 AM
Takes me back to the days when I was living and working in Holland (Dordrecht). Friday in the factory canteen was predominantly 'fish day' and I was the only person who asked for their fish to be fried unlike my Dutch colleagues who preferred theirs raw/pickled.

One day one of my Dutch colleagues commented "You Brits are really funny, when I was in London (he was an ex-submariner in the Dutch Navy) I noticed you eat your fish and chips from newspapers"

Speaking of fish and chips, check this guy out.
I'd like to read what you think. :hmmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NL1vB10wM4

He's making it border-line too complicated (IMO) but there are some good ideas. :salute:

As a historical note, in the US during the great depression, dill pickles were a cheap source of dill flavoring. I've tried recipes using dill pickles for stuff like poached or baked salmon and cod. :)

His Tar-tar sauce sounds wayy too "fru-fru" for my taste (where's the cilantro and wasabi? :nope: ) but its supposed to be a "house sauce" so I'll allow it. :hmmm:

em2nought
06-08-23, 01:18 AM
It's been thirty years since I had deep fried cheeseburgers served wrapped in newspaper. As a fiscal conservative I always approved of the method. I've used the Sunday funnies as gift wrap too. :D The food I miss most of all from Scotland is the shoestring French fries with malt vinegar served from the Dunkin Donut kiosk at the end of the pier. :salute:

I love dill spice, I put it in many dishes.

Aktungbby
06-08-23, 01:45 AM
I love dill spice, I put it in many dishes. :sign_yeah: That's what goes on the salmon over diced purple onion, tomato, capers, and cream cheese all on a garlic toasted bagel ! :Kaleun_Salivating:https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=815&pictureid=11786

ET2SN
06-08-23, 02:06 AM
Gnawing on a homemade heated salami, cole slaw, and Swiss on sliced Italian artisan bread. So take that.

:Kaleun_Goofy:

Commander Wallace
06-08-23, 07:18 AM
Gnawing on a homemade heated salami, cole slaw, and Swiss on sliced Italian artisan bread. So take that.

Your sandwich reminds me a bit of one I have had. I was in Pittsburgh to see a Hockey game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Hometown team, the Pittsburgh Penguins. Friends there insisted I have a taste of Pittsburgh in the form of a Primanti Brothers sandwich.

It can be various meats and or Kielbasa and Sauer Kraut with Coleslaw and fries piled on. You literally can't compress the sandwich enough to get your mouth around it. Apparently, the sandwich originates with the truck driving people there who not only didn't have the time to stop and eat but didn't have the room to lay anything out in the truck to eat.

So, Primanti brothers piled everything on one Sandwich. When we went to the Restaurant, it was very crowded. I was told in one location, it was common to go to Primanti brothers after a night out seeing live bands at the various clubs at two in the morning. I wasn't sure I would like the Sandwich but it was awesome. I can understand why Primanti Brothers has such a following. Even dignitaries to the area went to Primanti's for a Sandwich. If anyone is ever there, try a Sandwich there. You won't be disappointed.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/bb/e0/5a/home-of-the-almost-famous.jpg

https://primantibros.com/

https://www.menuism.com/menus/primanti-brothers-207636

Jimbuna
06-08-23, 07:19 AM
^ Trumped by the Beef Rogan Josh I've just had for lunch :yeah:

Commander Wallace
06-08-23, 07:32 AM
^ Trumped by the Beef Rogan Josh I've just had for lunch :yeah:

If we were there and you were visiting, I would treat you to a Hockey game and a Primanti Brothers " Sammich " and a couple pints to wash it down. :yep: I would even spring for the Rolaids Stomach meds for " heartburn " that you might need later. I certainly needed the Rolaids. :haha:

They need to open a couple Primanti Brothers in the Midwest and near Red Wings Venues. :yep:

Aktungbby
06-08-23, 11:43 AM

:Kaleun_Goofy:pics or it didn't happen!:shucks:

If we were there and you were visiting, I would treat you to a Hockey game and a Primanti Brothers " Sammich " and a couple pints to wash it down. :yep: I would even spring for the Rolaids Stomach meds for " heartburn " that you might need later. I certainly needed the Rolaids. :haha:

They need to open a couple Primanti Brothers in the Midwest and near Red Wings Venues. :yep:...your post's syntax is a trifle on the 'puckish' side amigo!:O:

Commander Wallace
06-08-23, 01:24 PM
pics or it didn't happen!:shucks:

...your post's syntax is a trifle on the 'puckish' side amigo!:O:

Please explain.

Jimbuna
06-08-23, 01:30 PM

They need to open a couple Primanti Brothers in the Midwest and near Red Wings Venues. :yep:

Booking my flight now as I type :)

Skybird
06-08-23, 02:07 PM
I recently turned this:

https://i.postimg.cc/52gMKS0B/20230307-185047.jpg (https://postimg.cc/FYYq7c0z)

into that:

https://i.postimg.cc/XY7PqSj5/20230307-192255.jpg (https://postimg.cc/2VMG9tBj)

I save you from a photo of what it next turns into. :O:

(The sauce is Ketjap Manis, Sherry Medium, roasted sesame oil, chili powder , sesame seeds, real cumin, black cumin, flaxseed, some sugar and not too much, some sauce binder. The meat is fried first and only with glutamate, then the other ingredients are added in the appropriate order for cooking, the sauce last. The sesam oil goes separately on top of it, on the plate).

Aktungbby
06-08-23, 04:29 PM
I would treat you to a Hockey game and a Primanti Brothers " Sammich "

...your post's syntax is a trifle on the 'puckish' side amigo!:O:

Please explain.AHEM! Puckish: "playful in a mischievous fashion"; but I was alluding specifically also to your hockey game (as in 'puck') and thus a pun or 'play on words'. Syntax, of course, is a merely function of liguistics!?:shucks::yep::doh::know:

Commander Wallace
06-08-23, 04:57 PM
AHEM! Puckish: "playful in a mischievous fashion"; but I was alluding specifically also to your hockey game (as in 'puck') and thus a pun or 'play on words'. Syntax, of course, is a merely function of liguistics!?:shucks::yep::doh::know:

I had figured as much. :yep: Then again, since you are from the frozen north of Minnesota, you would certainly understand being " Puckish " and of course, Hockey. :yep: You can remove the boy from the Frozen North of Hockey land but you can't remove the Hockey from the boy. :D:D

mapuc
06-27-23, 05:15 PM
What do you say to this ?

https://www.livescience.com/health/food-diet/1st-lab-grown-meat-approved-for-sale-in-the-us

Markus

Skybird
06-27-23, 05:28 PM

https://www.livescience.com/health/food-diet/1st-lab-grown-meat-approved-for-sale-in-the-us

Markus
I say this:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=255626

I watch what they do, and even with interest, but I am sceptical due to the
- nutrients content thing,
- the amount of net energy needed for production,

- and the higher climate gas level of producing it due to the fact that our energy production is not renewable and will not be for many years to come. If ever (what I doubt until there is fusion energy).

It would be great if lab meat "works" in all regards, but I doubt it.

For the animal lovers: animals still must be killed to farm lab meat. Just not at the current quantities.

August
06-27-23, 11:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9469mdeJRo

Jimbuna
06-28-23, 05:16 AM

Markus

No thanks, I much prefer the real (imho anyway) thing.

Skybird
06-28-23, 11:10 AM
No thanks, I much prefer the real (imho anyway) thing.
Enjoy as long as they still let you.

Serious. Personalized CO2 accounts, personalized consumption accounts (e.g. meat and luxury goods), will become true through cashless currency, and will lead to government bans on consumption and enjoyment on a scale that no one wants to imagine yet. Of course they will claim they only want your best and the best for all. Mark my words, this is coming - in the EU, and outside as well. At least in the EU such plans are already advanced, they even speak openly about it.

August
06-28-23, 09:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDF4Rt0LJaw

ET2SN
06-29-23, 04:06 AM
:Kaleun_Smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXOZW130yf8

Pork Roll is a lot like Scrapple, while its becoming more popular in the rest of the US, many meat packers have tried to imitate the flavor but get it wrong.

Taylor (Trenton) Pork Roll is the GOAT. :yep: Ye shall know it by the tan fabric sock it comes in. :D

Much like Scrapple, finding the good stuff comes down to location. If you want the the best Scrapple, you look for it between Scranton and Philly. With Pork Roll, you have to look to central New Jersey. :yeah: Nothing else comes close. :06:

The video is a little deceptive. The fried peppers and onions look good, but they really aren't needed. The bacon, tater tots, and hash browns really aren't a part of the equation. Just pork roll, a fresh Kaiser roll, and ketchup are all that's needed. A fried egg on top is the only true addition. Well, that and a hot flat grille. :salute:

Now, I'm getting to know most of you and you're saying, "Isn't it the same as fried baloney?". NNOOO!!!! :nope:

Good pork roll is it's own trip. When sliced 1/8th inch to 1/4 of an inch thick and fried until it just starts to turn golden brown, pork roll delivers its own punch. It kind of tastes like fried chopped ham with a hint of garlic and pepper, but the taste is very unique (and salty).

:Kaleun_Salivating:

August
06-29-23, 11:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPYV0K2u5mY

Eisenwurst
07-01-23, 07:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GUEBQ1GPdc

A wee recipe from Scotland. :)

Eisenwurst
07-14-23, 09:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxfY4KFZXqA

Great HomeStyle cooking.

Cabbage Rolls, if they're done properly, are wonderful :) especially with Mashed Potatoes.

Love her accent too. :)

em2nought
07-15-23, 12:11 AM
Cabbage Rolls, if they're done properly, are wonderful :) especially with Mashed Potatoes.

Love her accent too. :)

Here's another cabbage dish I want to try https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/cabbage-fish-sauce/

ET2SN with his mention of scrapple has made me hungry for pig's stomach. :D Pork Roll looks like a really terrible attempt at making Lebanon Sweet Bologna. LOL

Eisenwurst
07-15-23, 02:06 AM
@ em2nought , I had a look at the dish ( both of them :) ) in the link, and I gotta say 10 cloves of garlic for such a small dish seems OTT, but the fish sauce balances it maybe???

I got a few Thai friends and they're always offering me various bits and pieces of food to try. Not a big fan of their cuisine, with one exception......A young lady friend took me out to dinner to a popular Thai restaurant and I couldn't make head or tail of the menu even with pictures WT_ Then something leapt out from the page.....Number26 "Phat Prik Grob" :arrgh!::arrgh!:

It was good, BBQ pork with jasmine rice, green beans, mild chilli paste.

Mate of mine ( musician/artist well known ) married a Thai girl and moved over there.

Jimbuna
07-15-23, 05:06 AM
Simply the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6tevHQYhw

mapuc
07-15-23, 05:46 AM
inside the Cabbage Rolls ?

I guess it's outside served with these Cabbage Rolls.

In Sweden they are called kåldolmar

In Sweden it is popular to add syrup on the finished Cabbage Rolls before they eat them.

Markus

Eisenwurst
07-15-23, 07:46 AM
Hi Markus. You mean Mashed potatoes??

Yes as a side dish, not inside the cabbage rolls.

Just writing this and thinking about them has made me very hungry. :)

What sort of syrup do the Swedes put on them???

mapuc
07-15-23, 07:59 AM
Hi Markus. You mean Mashed potatoes??

Yes as a side dish, not inside the cabbage rolls.

Just writing this and thinking about them has made me very hungry. :)

What sort of syrup do the Swedes put on them???

Yes it was mashed potatoes

I copied and translated a text about this syrup or Sirup as it is called in Sweden.
"Syrup is made from raw sugar from sugar beet and sugar cane. Syrup contains different types of sugar, ordinary sugar, dextrose and fructose. Syrup is available in a light and dark version, where the light has a mild taste with a hint of caramel, while the dark has a stronger taste."
It is the light version of Syrup they like.

Markus

Eisenwurst
07-15-23, 08:17 AM
Sweet syrup with cabbage.........interesting. :o

mapuc
07-15-23, 08:24 AM
Tonight's dinner will be simple

Spring rolls nothing more.

And a Coca Cola to it.

Markus

em2nought
07-15-23, 11:10 PM
@ em2nought , I had a look at the dish ( both of them :) ) in the link, and I gotta say 10 cloves of garlic for such a small dish seems OTT, but the fish sauce balances it maybe???

I think a Thai friend of mine would even use more than ten cloves. :D
The one thing in Thai cooking that I'd just leave off my plate is the rice. Oh, and I'm not eating any raw meat, not going there. :03: I think that's more an Isaan thing.

Love Thai, but I've never developed a taste for Indian food.

ET2SN
07-16-23, 02:11 AM
They don't have Maple trees in Sweden??

:k_confused:

Stateside, stuffed cabbage is usually cooked in and served with cream of tomato soup.

Its about as basic as it gets. Steam or boil whole cabbage leaves. While that's going on, make some normal white rice. Fry a 50/50 mix of ground beef and ground pork, add the rice near the end along with some salt and pepper ** (you don't have to drain the frying pan).

Spoon the meat-and-rice into the cabbage leaves and roll them up just like a.................burrito. :arrgh!:

Place the rolls into a pot and add enough tomato soup to cover. Simmer until boiling.

:Kaleun_Wink:

**- Naturally, there are some variations to the basic recipe. You could add some minced or powdered garlic and fine-chopped herbs to the meat while its cooking. If you're making 20+ or so rolls, crack a raw egg into the filling and mix well just before you spoon it into the leaves. The rough proportions of the filling are 50% meat and 50% rice. Simmer the rolls and soup for 45 minutes to an hour so the rice absorbs some grease and soup as it fully cooks.

Catfish
07-16-23, 03:37 AM
Simply the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6tevHQYhw
We do a lot of indian cooking, but I never tried to cook this myself.. seems i will soon :up:

Jimbuna
07-16-23, 05:12 AM
We do a lot of indian cooking, but I never tried to cook this myself.. seems i will soon :up:

Let me know how it goes, I'd practically live on the stuff if the wife would let me :)

Aktungbby
07-16-23, 10:14 AM
:roll:....at our age, "wife letting me" is an increasingly ongoing principle consideration...:hmmm::oops::nope::cry: :Kaleun_Crying:

Catfish
07-18-23, 01:41 PM
Let me know how it goes, I'd practically live on the stuff if the wife would let me :)

Went well, next time i'll do it a bit differently, but the taste was excellent :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/BlZzvUfm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nHtvIVVm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VjPAGhBm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7B2V8zkm.jpg

Skybird
07-18-23, 06:44 PM
Nicht zu fassen - der kann ja kochen! :k_confused:

:O:

Myself, I lived the fast eating last evening. Pulled Chicken (yes, we have that) from the supermarket, it even is really good, I just wash the marinade off, pulled it to fine pieces and gave it a good roasting in the grill. In a pan just some red peppers and onions with coconut oil, Gyros spice melange and (trarraa!) cinnamon, and in a pot some millet , swollen in broth. At the end all things together in the pan and mixing. Delicous can be so simple.

Cinnamon is my secret weapon for many cases of using smashed tomatoes and red peppers together (and some rosins thrown in as well...), but sometimes it works without tomatoes, too. Cinnamon is much underated in Western cooking, we think of it as somethign for sweet taste only. Wrong!

August
07-18-23, 09:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GN1lh9q5WE

em2nought
07-18-23, 09:20 PM
Went well, next time i'll do it a bit differently, but the taste was excellent :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/7B2V8zkm.jpg

Fancy! :up:

Eisenwurst
07-18-23, 09:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvAy_kRRyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgzeA4rdvsk

Quick and easy. :)

Jimbuna
07-19-23, 04:42 AM

Nice one :up:

August
07-22-23, 12:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFoUmXnkKw8

Jimbuna
07-22-23, 01:05 PM
This is the wife's favourite curry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-itTXbX0ag

Catfish
07-23-23, 03:14 PM
^ I guess I will have to .. hmm .. :D

Jimbuna
07-24-23, 06:04 AM
^ I guess I will have to .. hmm .. :D

Not as hot as a madras but compliments beef very nicely.

The kids and there partners are coming round on Saturday evening for a celebration and I told them I would put on a variety of curries from my favourite restaurant ang there response was "You make the Madras and mam the Bhuna and that'll be just fine dad"

I was genuinely touched :)

Skybird
07-25-23, 10:58 AM
They decode a 2000-years-old curry recipe, and its surprisingly similar to one still eaten today.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/25/asia/curry-vietnam-earliest-outside-india-scn/index.html

Jeff-Groves
07-25-23, 11:11 AM
I was genuinely touched :)
I do believe you've been "Touched" for years!
Mainly in the head. But touched none the less.
:har:
:03:

Jimbuna
07-25-23, 12:06 PM
I do believe you've been "Touched" for years!
Mainly in the head. But touched none the less.
:har:
:03:

https://i.postimg.cc/W11ZBLYp/rasp1.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Jeff-Groves
07-25-23, 12:11 PM
PM me your address. I have something for you!

Rockstar
09-01-23, 06:47 PM
I know what I’ll be making and grilling on Labor Day.

TEXAS TURTLE BURGERS :yeah:

https://i.postimg.cc/xTKKmwXD/IMG-2569.jpg

Jimbuna
09-02-23, 05:23 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/02CV7mqy/sickpup.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Skybird
09-02-23, 06:23 AM
When I have beef these days then either as "Sauerbraten" (=soar roast?), or Goulasch. I have lost interest/taste in steaks almost completely.

https://i.postimg.cc/XNf7WG4w/Gulasch.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9zfjtf4M)

For 1.5 kg beef goulash and 750gr onions. Goulash is prepared without sweet peppers (some people still cook it with expensive sweet peppers, but Goulasch originally is a dish of the poor)! The meat may be second and third choice, does not have to be anything expensive, noble, choose the cheaper variant, if they give you a choice.

Braise the beef for 10 minutes at maximum heat in an open pressure cooker in a little fat and stir again and again, always drain and collect the escaping gravy.

Then add the quartered or eighthed onions. Continue to sauté and stir for 25 minutes, at maximum heat. If a black broth forms on the bottom, it will slowly burn - that's okay and intentional. The pot will be clean by itself at the end of the completed cooking.

Then add the collected meat juice and about 0.5-0.75 liters of strained tomatoes (I recommend Italian brand Mutti, 0.5l) OR water with plenty of tomato paste.

Add spices:
3 bay leaves
4 gr marjoram
10 gr sweet paprika powder
8 gr hot paprika powder
3-4 gr caraway
3/4 tsp salt

Close the lid and cook at the highest pressure (not heat...) for 45 minutes.

Take out the bay leaves (otherwise they will be too intense).

Serve with boiled potatoes or spiral pasta (grandole).

Jimbuna
09-02-23, 07:53 AM
One of the wife's favourite recipes but minus the garlic and parmesan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dJ52OyvsY

Skybird
09-11-23, 03:00 PM
Today was day one of an experiment I plan to run for at least 30 days. 30 Days of carnivore Rambazamba! :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:Only ,meats and fish, animal fats and animal products: butter, ghee, eggs, cheese allowed. No fruits. No vegetables. No corns, no carbs. But - beer. Hey, its has been over 30°C again today... I will focus on beef, sometimes chicken and lamb (they are too lean, need plenty of fat added in any way in the carnivore regime diat), not pig, and some beef liver ( I know how to prepare it so that you can actually eat it and not vomitting...) and chicken or pig heart, the other organ meats there are, especially kidneys and brains, give me the creeps. Also incldued will be fish: salmon, mackarel, tuna.

Combined in my usual 16:8 intermittend fasting scheme. Supplements still taken, then lots of drinking, lots of salt.

NO SWEETS, holy god...

Not even chocolate once in a while?

No, not even chocolate, and not even just once in all that long while.

The execution of this experiment started lousy. I did not plan in blood works, maybe I should have done so, but even if the numbers would be nicier at the end, if I do not like the diet, I most likely wouldn't stick to it no matter the numbers: its about longterm compliance...

Today I bought meats worth 100 Euros. :haha: And I followed a tip: to consider burger patties. I did. And heck, how absolutley not I did regret that!

Because for lunch I had an Argentinian RibEye, 200 gr, 10 Euros, and one of two Irish Angus burger patties, two made 230gr for 3,50. Ghee in the cast iron pan, 2x4 minutes for the patty, 2x3 minutes for the steak. Salt, black better, and on the patty a handful of chopped ceddar and mozzarella from Kerrygold (whom i absolutely love for their fantastic butter cheese). Should all be pastured animals and cheese. I have a hawk's eyes now on this pastured fat and meadow thing.

This was easily the very best steak and burger experierne I ever had in my life! I was blown away, this was a leagues abvove what I did in steaks in the past, years ago. The meat was so juicy and tasted of butter, the fat in the steak was tasty as well, and the patty almost melted on my tongue. I never have gotten such an experience in a restaurant. I never, never had prpared of such fantastic quality, or got such quality in a restaurant. A real eye-opener. I'm fixed! Give me more!

The meat was not frozen, but packed, it did not go over the butcher's counter, but was in a cooling box in the supermarket (Marktkauf). The Rib Eye was from a company called Maredo, the patties were from a company named Rasting, no idea whether that is the Irish producer or the German importer.

I have 4 more brand samples of patties, will test them out, American, German, british, Argentinian, if I recall correctly. But the experience today was already a revelation. I must horde those RibEye steaks.

Try it with a good patty! :yeah: Beats simple minced beef from over the counter by a lightyear. And is cheap.

I think I also never used ghee for the frying of a steak before, this too was a revelation (I still used peanut oil back then, but plant seed and peanut oils now all are banned since years in my kitchen).

I have not eaten this well (though simple) and have not been satisfied by the experience this much since many years! :up:

Think I really turn into a P.E.T.A. guy.

People Eating Tasty Animals. :D

Skybird
09-12-23, 03:53 PM
Day 2.

From this

https://i.postimg.cc/zXgG6m2k/20230912-183823.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Vdzw0h8S)

to that

https://i.postimg.cc/yYH8Mpq4/20230912-184823.jpg (https://postimg.cc/kDTC8cXf)

Two patties, one from an Angus again, the other from some French beef. Beef patties become a favourite of mine, much much better than just minced meat, because: fattier. The steak is an entrecote, that is the same like a ribeye, just not in an American but a French cut, I read. Really? This one today was very good, but the ribeye yesterday was even better. Fried in the grease from yesterday. The steak with Kerrygold herbal butter (very good, better than Meggle, i tried it the firts time today, and was surprised). The one patty with shepard cheese and soar cream, the other with mozarella and Ceddar cheese. All with salt and black pepper, after frying.

This is a good portion for me, one steak, two patties. I am full but not stuffed. Very satisfied, and feels different than having eaten my usual before diat, I feel more "warmly" satisfied, I cannot put it differently. Keeps me over 24 hours. Feels more satisfactory.

Why doing carnivore? This is why: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2884442&postcount=108

ET2SN
09-15-23, 01:11 PM
Sky, you need to travel to central Iowa on a Friday. :yep:

When I moved into this place back in 2010 (2011?) I brought back the old tradition of Friday Sliders with a mild twist.

My local grocery has a butcher's counter where they sell fresh ground beef in 0.33 pound (150 gram) patties. :D

For my Friday burger, I spent a couple of years perfecting the process. Its odd, the more simple the prep-the better.

I start by lightly dusting both sides with some "trail dust" (smokey type) and Goya Sazon then add some sage or basil and let them mellow out in the fridge over night.

Once its time to rock, I heat a cast iron pan to "almost smoking" and add a bit of olive oil. Then the burger goes on the pan and its covered for about 15 minutes of cook time. Since these are thick patties, I use a heavy duty stainless spatula to flip and press out the grease (this sounds wrong but it works). Once the patty is cooked (juices run clear, some seared crust on the patty) I press it out one last time and throw it on a bun.

Next comes fresh ground pepper, some pre-cooked fine bacon crumbles* and a thin slice of Swiss or Provolone cheese. Once the cheese melts, I add some dill pickle slices, regular yellow mustard, and ketchup.

Add some French fries and a beer or hard cider, and you're set for the weekend. :up:

*- These bacon crumbles are the real thing and are packaged for adding to salads. I've tried adding a slice of real American bacon, fried Canadian (UK) bacon, etc. but the crumbles are much more effective on a burger and a LOT less of a hassle. :yep:

Skybird
09-15-23, 01:41 PM
I believe everz word zou say. Its just that I currentlz test for 30 days what is officiallz named carnivor diet, and that is in priciple a n carbs and animal origin diet, and an eliminationdiet. so my beloved Magic Dust, whcih is my preferred rub, and French fries are off limits .

Its day 5 today, and I wonder whether you can form an addiction to beef. So far I love it and can imagine to stay with it, just getting steaks abd patties is a bit difficult in supermarkets, its scaring to what degree some of the have turned vegan and anti/meat. well, needing to stalk for such offers replaces the ancient hunt in the jungle, so I may learn to think of it in terms of that. :D

Preferred is argentinian ribeye followed by Entrecote with nice ammount of fat.

interestingly the taste of allways the same does not get boring, while the interest in other tastes I remember kind of fades.

while I save a bit of money by not buying so many other foods anymore, in the end I spend around 50% more per week due to buying so much meat.

I currently eat only beek steaks, ground beef and beef patties, chicken, lamb, eggs, butter, ghee, feta, cheese, yogurt, salmon, mackarel, and i have cut back on my supplements collection. Heck, I now CRAVE for beef.

No pork for me, I have no taste for it. Never had.

I eat once per day, late afternoon or early evening.

I still drink beer, alcoholfree beer and coffee, which all are violations by the definition of the term carnivore diet. But so would be cheese. Lets extend compliance a bit by not becoming a pedantic martyr.

I buy all mil products as organic, also the eggs. Meat, grass feed beef, that is way to unaffordable, I must accept to go with conventional meat. Not ideal, but thats how it is.

Skybird
09-15-23, 01:44 PM
oh, and while I did not say it, I feel grrreat. Very satied, mentally satisfied as well. No prob of just one meal a day. really, going great here.

Rockstar
09-15-23, 01:46 PM
My favorite burger is fresh ground beef. Minimally handled when forming the patty in other words I don’t compress the meat that much, salt, pepper maybe a little garlic powder. Cooked in a cast iron skillet from rare up to medium. My preferred topping is a heap of melted blue cheese broiled on top ‘til it starts browning. Take’ ‘em out of the oven slap it on a bun and dig in.

Skybird
09-15-23, 01:48 PM
Test the difference between over the counter ground beef, and beef patties they prepared, they have a bigger content in fat and thus are more juicy.

Skybird
09-15-23, 01:51 PM
Just recall that as a teen I liked steak tartar and "Mett". Both are uncooked meats and thus they became to be avoided in the eighties with the beef pandemic back then. But I must try it again, with onions, egg yolk, salt, pepper.:up:

Must be mad fresh and immediately eaten, due to hygienics concerns.

Tomorrow is liver day, in athin coat of flour, and with heavily roasted onion rings and apple pieces. Its liver. consider the apple and onions a spice to make the thing devourable.

ET2SN
09-15-23, 02:15 PM
I eat once per day, late afternoon or early evening.

That's because great minds think alike. :yeah:

I got into healthy eating before I got the formal MS diagnosis.
I tried some of the healthy diets but eating once a day seems to work much better. :salute: My Friday burger is my Cheat Day.

Just be careful with the all-beef or caveman stuff. If you catch yourself hitting the supplements harder or you start sweating Lard, you may as well go back to "traditional". :O:

Skybird
09-15-23, 03:41 PM
When I find I indeed stick with it, I will do more research into nutrients content of meat and the ammounts of, then skip some or reduce them. I need to check. Some supps I will stay with since meat cannot replace them and even the soils the grass grows on that beef eats, are deficitary. Also, it is grain-fed beef I eat, not grass fed, which also chnages some of the variables in the formula.

I feel (and can see) that I am on a good way over the past 3, 4 years.

ET2SN
09-15-23, 04:08 PM
Just do the rest of us a favor, do NOT pass gas in an elevator. :doh:

Believe me, we'll know.. :timeout:

mapuc
09-15-23, 04:23 PM

It ain't called Chemical warfare for nothing

Markus

Skybird
09-16-23, 04:50 AM

My experience is the opposite. Day 6 of the experiment. Since I do not eat undigastable garbage and fibre anymore, but pretty much everything gets digested and assimilated, I produce much less p... than before, and in the past 5 days sat on the white throne just once (before it was once a day). And no, no constipation. Volume is much less, and farts do not smell. They are less, too.

What I have is an increase in foaming, bubbling sounds. Seems somebody is at work and does his job, which is assimilating stuff.

I am convince dlaready that this way of eating is healthier for our digestion becasue it is more natural and our guts is more adapted tpo this food than to eating somethign else. It has become quite obvious for me.

And this in a cooking thread.

ET2SN
09-16-23, 05:44 PM
Well, just watch what you're doing. :up:

Most of us are Omnivores and not Carnivores.
Carnivores tend to have shorter life-spans. :03:

Skybird
09-16-23, 06:14 PM
That can be debated. I say it is not so. And the WHO lies.

And on carnivores and omnivores: I quote Dr. Anthony Chaffee from his book "Why we are carnivores and how plants try to poison you":

I think the really only good working functional definition of the word omnivore would be one of two things:

Either: you get as much nutrition out of both plants and animals you can eat them indiscriminately.

Or: there are things mthat you cna only get in plants that you have to have that don't exist in meat - and there are things in meat that you have to have that dont exist in plants. And so you necessarily have to eat both.

Humans dont fall into either of those categories. We have things in meat that we have to have that we cannot get from plants, but ther eis nothign in plants and fungus that we cannot get from meat.

Plain logic here by Dr. Chaffee. Now, if you consider that plants have natures biggets arsenal of toxines and chemical wepaons to prevent getting eaten, then eating them nevertheless does not sound like a reasonable thing to do. Genetically, biologically, metbolically and in the views of the vast majoprity of antropologists we are canrivores. And we do nto chnbage that nature of ours by eating stuff that is not form an anmnals, and is toxic to us. Dr. chaffee indeed desrcribes all chrinic disease ad txicity reactions to species-unapprotiate food. That some plants prepare fruits they want to get etahen so that their nuts get spread, doe snot mean they want them to get eaten by us. Even more so if the guts of the species doing nthis "tranbsport" adds chemicla processes that actualyl turn the tarnsported seeds or nuts into acutqally functional seeds and nuts that can indeed pant new life somewhere.

We are carnivores. We are just canrivoes who do eat also food that is not good for us, but that we learned to eat in the poast becasue despite helath issues it may have been the only way to survive. But cvonside rthis: veterinaries report that many cats and dogs that get fed with idniustruially processed food that contains not just meat but also veggies and grains becasue it is so cheap and increases the profit margin, become human disease they do ntoi suffer form when they eat their species-adequte diet, whcih is meat. These pets and animals then suddenlfy form obesity, diabtes, fatty liver, CHD, herat attacks.

Chaffee was professional rugby player and attended unversity alreadsy at the age of 16. He is a neurosurgeon and shows the body of a superman. He is a carnivore since a very long time. He is one of the world's leading and most wanted experts on this topic. I posted one or two videos with him in the health thread. The book I quoted from is a collection of edited youtube transciptions.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/F6ib6Ntp3s8?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/F6ib6Ntp3s8?feature=shared

Skybird
09-16-23, 06:15 PM
That can be debated. I say it is not so. And the WHO lies.

And on carnivores and omnivores: I quote Dr. Anthony Chaffee from his book "Why we are carnivores and how plants try to poison you":

I think the really only good working functional definition of the word omnivore would be one of two things:

Either: you get as much nutrition out of both plants and animals you can eat them indiscriminately.

Or: there are things that you can only get in plants that you have to have that don't exist in meat - and there are things in meat that you have to have that dont exist in plants. And so you necessarily have to eat both.

Humans dont fall into either of those categories. We have things in meat that we have to have that we cannot get from plants, but ther eis nothign in plants and fungus that we cannot get from meat.

Plain logic here by Dr. Chaffee. Now, if you consider that plants have natures biggets arsenal of toxines and chemical wepaons to prevent getting eaten, then eating them nevertheless does not sound like a reasonable thing to do. Genetically, biologically, metabolically and in the views of the vast majoprity of antropologists we are canrivores. And we do not change that nature of ours by eating stuff that is not from an animnals, and is toxic to us. Dr. chaffee indeed desrcribes all chronic disease as toxicity reactions to species-unapprotiate food. That some plants prepare fruits they want to get eaten so that their nuts get spread, does not mean they want them to get eaten by >us<. Even more so if the guts of the species doing this "transport" adds chemicla processes that actualyl turn the tarnsported seeds or nuts into acutally functional seeds and nuts that can indeed plant new life somewhere.

We are carnivores. We are just carnivores who do eat also food that is not good for us, but that we learned to eat in the past because despite health issues it may have been the only way to survive. But conside rthis: veterinaries report that many cats and dogs that get fed with industrially processed food that contains not just meat but also veggies and grains becasue it is so cheap and increases the profit margin, become human diseases they do not suffer form when they eat their species-adequate diet, whcih is meat. These pets and animals then suddenly form obesity, diabtes, fatty liver, CHD, heart attacks.

Chaffee was professional rugby player and attended unversity alreadsy at the age of 16. He is a neurosurgeon and shows the body of a superman. He is a carnivore since a very long time. He is one of the world's leading and most wanted experts on this topic. I posted one or two videos with him in the health thread. The book I quoted from is a collection of edited youtube transcriptions.

60 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/F6ib6Ntp3s8?feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ed9IP9xx8wU?feature=share

ET2SN
09-16-23, 09:57 PM
Chaffee was professional rugby player

In case you don't believe me, you can ask Aktungbby.
Rugby is one of the most extreem full-contact sports and Rugby players don't wear head protection. :yep:

:smug:

Aktungbby
09-16-23, 11:48 PM
...nuts get spread, doe snot mean they want them to get eaten by us. I do love "getting my nuts spread and doe snot"...but as I pointed out in August's Rugby thread, I did actually wear my wrestling head-gear to prevent vegan condition, cauliflowered ears, from binding on in scrums and rucks at the hooker postion...and swilled vast amounts of Hamm's beer from 40 gallon kegs...for 7 years. "Scrum caps' are now worn often.' https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrDGOGFCAi0qN_MANzpX_FpvzxxIZaA TChPL1qcpVvXMn8G7Z6ewJN5rDIaoybIbQqJ70&usqp=CAUI now stick to veggie burgers, chicken, salmon, sole, salads; eschewing red meat, eggs, bacon and processed sandwich meats. I'm big on cereal, yogurt and blueberries for breakfast and 1 cuppa-Joe(no cream/sugar added) with only water with meals...generally, at 72, everything you used to like is bad for you!:hmmm::timeout::wah:

Skybird
09-18-23, 06:24 AM
I I now stick to veggie burgers, chicken, salmon, sole, salads; eschewing red meat, eggs, bacon and processed sandwich meats. I'm big on cereal, yogurt and blueberries for breakfast and 1 cuppa-Joe(no cream/sugar added) with only water with meals...generally, at 72, everything you used to like is bad for you!:hmmm::timeout::wah:
30 seconds.
https://youtube.com/shorts/RRU4vLL_J-I?si=ifnH5FA8Ts7gdLwq

em2nought
09-19-23, 12:13 AM
So I'm eating more bananas lately, but don't like them much once they're too ripe. I did love Publix's old recipe banana pudding though so I found a recipe online, and then modified it to be a little healthier.

Two Hunt's sugar free vanilla pudding cups
Two over ripe bananas sliced up
Thirteen vanilla wafers
Plain Greek yogurt about one pudding cup & a half
Cool Whip about one pudding cup & a half

Set aside three cookies. Mix everything else in a bowl until the bananas are mixed in, but the cookies are still mostly whole. Refrigerate until the cookies are mushy. Crush into fine crumbs the three cookies you saved then sprinkle on the bowl of pudding. Eat just like when you were a kid in 1975. :D

The plain Greek Yogurt is a substitution for the original item which was sour cream. Seems like the key ingredient to make the pudding a little tangy and not super sweet. :up: I find plain Greek Yogurt substitutes well for sour cream in most things I try.

Jimbuna
09-25-23, 12:54 PM
Donner kebabs have been the order of the day for me recently.

Eisenwurst
09-29-23, 12:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKfhcQet-6M

This guy's a good cook. Here he does a sensible, easy to make Aussie staple, the Meat Pie.

There's about a million variations of this but if you keep it simple it always comes out best. :)