PDA

View Full Version : Engine sounds stop after few minutes

frigokar
12-23-20, 04:23 PM
Problem appearing in Distant Guns and Jutland.Anyone have any solution?

WallysWorld
12-29-20, 04:26 PM
Happens to everyone when there are multiple ships in a battle. 1v1 battles are fine.

Once the ships start firing, the engine sounds disappear. Norm Koger posted years ago that this was because of the way the the sound engine works in the game and couldn't be avoided.

Randomizer
12-29-20, 04:40 PM
Koger's go to excuse for all of the (many) Jutland/DG bugs was always "That's how the engine works" rather than attempting to find fixes. Arguably it's game designer shorthand for sloppy programming and a lack of rigorous beta testing.

-C

WallysWorld
12-29-20, 06:50 PM
Yes, I agree with your comment that it should have fixed. Both games just needed a few more fixes and tweaks.

Just an FYI that I just tried out this sound mod in Distant Guns and played a big battle with multiple ships firing and the engine sounds kept playing when before with the delivered sounds, they would stop once multiple ships started firing.

I only copied the Sound2 folder into the Distant Guns folder and renamed it as "Sound" and copied the same folder into the Jutland folder to make it work. I didn't have to load the settings in the game itself as per the mod's instructions. Make sure to backup your vanilla Sound and Sounds2 folders first, but this mod is very good.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=7

Randomizer
12-30-20, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the sound mod/fix, it seems to work, which begs the question as to why Koger and company never bothered to do something similar for their paying customers.

-C

frigokar
03-10-21, 11:36 AM
doesent work,not with this mod,or with other sounds i tried

WallysWorld
08-05-21, 03:33 PM
So I played both games after some months and sadly the engine sounds do stop playing after a while when a large number of ships start firing. With or without the sound mod.