PDA

View Full Version : FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.90 Question

glilley
07-22-19, 07:21 PM
Been playing SH4 for years now (Traveler Mod V2.6 TMO) and have read lots on how great FOTRSU is. Question: Is FORTSU a stand alone game mod like TMO where you load it on top of clean basic install (I have the SH4 Gold Ed which is already at V1.5) or is it loaded on top of, say, TMO (like RSRDC_TMO)? Thanks!

propbeanie
07-22-19, 09:25 PM
FotRSU (Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate), still in beta, is a stand-alone mod, and goes on top of SH4 v1.5 (Uboat Missions - aka: Gold). The Campaign is based on TMO v1.7, but expanded and improved upon, though still being tweaked. I am the last horse out, still working on some spec ops missions that are not cooperating with me at this time. I thought I had them under control, but alas, I do not... :roll: - I might have to toss a few weeks worth of work in the trash, but we'll get the finished product out shortly. :salute:

glilley
07-22-19, 09:41 PM
FotRSU (Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate), still in beta, is a stand-alone mod, and goes on top of SH4 v1.5 (Uboat Missions - aka: Gold). The Campaign is based on TMO v1.7, but expanded and improved upon, though still being tweaked. I am the last horse out, still working on some spec ops missions that are not cooperating with me at this time. I thought I had them under control, but alas, I do not... :roll: - I might have to toss a few weeks worth of work in the trash, but we'll get the finished product out shortly. :salute:
Thanks! Are you talking about 0.92 or 0.90?

propbeanie
07-22-19, 10:03 PM
Well, I'm modding campaign files in v0.90, so it is currently "v0.9x", or "0.90+" or whatever, but we are targeting a "Version 1.0a" release, which will mean that no further major changes to the base, and we'll start "authorizing" add-in mods that will work with the FotRSU mod. We were actually rather further along than what we are now, but three of the five "core" team members have had computer issues in the last couple of months, with two of us losing quite a bit of work. Me to a hard drive crash, another fellow had ISP data corruption, and the third, Rockin Robbins tried to put Windows on his Ubuntu computer... Hopefully, the other two fellows are all squared away now. I am still trying to rebuild mission files that were lost. The hard part is the testing. Thankfully, I didn't lose all of my research, and actually had that info on three different computers. For whatever reason, I did not have about 36-40 SpecOps missions backed-up... Thinking about it again is going to make me cry all over again... :wah: and be embarrassed again :oops: and laugh again :har: maniacally :arrgh!: but we're good :yeah: :salute:

glilley
07-23-19, 05:38 AM
Well, I'm modding campaign files in v0.90, so it is currently "v0.9x", or "0.90+" or whatever, but we are targeting a "Version 1.0a" release, which will mean that no further major changes to the base, and we'll start "authorizing" add-in mods that will work with the FotRSU mod. We were actually rather further along than what we are now, but three of the five "core" team members have had computer issues in the last couple of months, with two of us losing quite a bit of work. Me to a hard drive crash, another fellow had ISP data corruption, and the third, Rockin Robbins tried to put Windows on his Ubuntu computer... Hopefully, the other two fellows are all squared away now. I am still trying to rebuild mission files that were lost. The hard part is the testing. Thankfully, I didn't lose all of my research, and actually had that info on three different computers. For whatever reason, I did not have about 36-40 SpecOps missions backed-up... Thinking about it again is going to make me cry all over again... :wah: and be embarrassed again :oops: and laugh again :har: maniacally :arrgh!: but we're good :yeah: :salute:
Can't thank you guys enough for all the time and hard work you put in to make these games better. I'm a retired IT Dir so I fully understand what you are going through! Non-IT folks can understand the hard work going into coding but almost NO ONE appreciates the even harder, more confusing and relatively unrewarding task of testing out your work so it works smoothly and won't crash everything around it! Thanks for your help. Gene

propbeanie
07-23-19, 09:28 AM
Well, thank you, good sir! One big problem with testing (as you're well aware), that a lot of folks don't realize, is the testing paradigm. If you set your testing procedure up incorrectly, you will get incorrect results, such that something that looks good in the test, is actually trash in the game... I have found this more than a couple of times in my FotRSU testing... :roll: - we added one small airbase with B-24 planes at an "historical" time, and did not include the AirCover layer in testing... the players found a plethora of airplanes polluting the New Guinea / Rabaul area with that release... one little change. :arrgh!:

s7rikeback
07-26-19, 04:32 PM
I'm still about my friend, willing to help where I can...:salute:

cdrsubron7
07-26-19, 05:33 PM
I echo s7rikeback's sentiments, PB. :salute: