PDA

View Full Version : Bearing change tables for speed

derstosstrupp
04-06-19, 01:59 PM
Hi All,

I’ve made tables for the method I use in my Comprehensive tutorial in my sig (computing target speed based on his bearing change over one minute). I’ve put a link to it in my sig. I used a self made whiz wheel in my tutorial but wanted to make the tables for ease of use So people could print them off and keep them at their desk. Instructions are in the document.

Tutorial is written using SH3 but of course the methods work for SH5 as well.:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

XenonSurf
04-06-19, 04:10 PM
Humm...If in only *1 minute* interval there is a plotting solution for a ship's speed, then instead of any plotting I'm faster just to use my scope or surface my sub for a 'point-and-shoot' method. The reason is that the target is soooo close that any plotting is a waste of time, and I must make sure that i don't enter collision with the target (in which case I must go under periscope depth, or full back speed), and that I'm further than 500m away for my torpedos to activate.

If targets are further away I use the 4-bearing method, this takes considerably longer, I usually work with 5 minutes intervals or longer, but then I have ALL data about the target, exact ship course and speed.

derstosstrupp
04-06-19, 06:49 PM
Humm...If in only *1 minute* interval there is a plotting solution for a ship's speed, then instead of any plotting I'm faster just to use my scope or surface my sub for a 'point-and-shoot' method. The reason is that the target is soooo close that any plotting is a waste of time, and I must make sure that i don't enter collision with the target (in which case I must go under periscope depth, or full back speed), and that I'm further than 500m away for my torpedos to activate.

If targets are further away I use the 4-bearing method, this takes considerably longer, I usually work with 5 minutes intervals or longer, but then I have ALL data about the target, exact ship course and speed.

No plotting involved here though. That’s the utility of this method as Well as the fact that you have a speed value right before the shot. By all means if possible, plotting should be done at distance during the overhaul maneuver But in case you didn’t have to overhaul or want to check the speed at the last minute before shooting, this is a good method.:up:

XenonSurf
04-06-19, 07:20 PM
Sorry that I forgot to tell the main thing:

I will try out your guide, I welcome any possible aid in my current knowledge of SH3/SH5, it will help me, I'm sure. Well done :up:
And thanks for your additional info to my feedback.