PDA

View Full Version : Graphics look strange to me.

jimmyjam25
03-02-19, 07:16 PM
Hi all, I haven't played this for a while. Was it always so... how do i put it dark??? And also seems to be strange contrasts in colours. Everything just looks really odd. Did it always have really ****ty graphics?

fireftr18
03-02-19, 08:22 PM
Can you post a screen shot? Also some information is useful. What are the specs on your computer, specifically your video card? What mods are you using?

Armistead
03-02-19, 09:47 PM
Look at the screenshot thread above, from stock to different mods with better graphics and see how yours compares or post some SS here.

Sniper297
03-03-19, 02:41 AM
In the main menu is OPTIONS, then GRAPHIC SETTINGS, there's a gamma slider to make it lighter or darker. The one thing I found has the biggest effect is not the gamma setting, but the on/off checkbox for POST PROCESS FILTERS. You can fool around in there and try different settings, the screen resolution requires exiting and restarting the game.

Here's a couple shots showing the POST PROCESS FILTERS setting on and off;

https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/52976987_2283934928317441_5953853295448555520_o.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.xx&oh=ea3573139c04b6732d956181eac9f1fd&oe=5CE5C669

https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53830281_2283934918317442_3730056161727086592_o.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.xx&oh=1123112dd2c68aa7555edec1cb08b739&oe=5CE38581

To my eye the whole game looks better with it on.

simpliciter
03-04-19, 11:09 PM
So yeah I haven't been here for like 10 years and here I am again. Those screenshots have compression artifacts all over them on my side so I can't really judge.. but it also looks like you're in low light conditions in both sets of shots so it's even harder to judge.

propbeanie
03-05-19, 07:57 AM
The game is an old 3D game, and as such introduces "artifact", as well as "low-level lighting". Also, to display a picture on most web sites, of necessity, JPEG compression is a requirement, so you will see artifact from that. Then there is the web page display, that no matter what resolution you set your display to, a web page will display at 72dpi. Therefore, by the time you "see" something here, it's been compromised. The comparativeness however, can be seen, and is useful. :salute:

Sniper297
03-05-19, 03:53 PM
Couple items;

1. Ten percent of white males have at least a mild form of color blindness, the numbers among other races and females are so low they're statistically insignificant. That's why the US Navy administers the full range color vision test to all recruits, many systems are color coded. I did pass that test.
2. I was an offset color pressman for five years (had to find another trade after developing an allergy to the chemicals used in printing, which is why I enlisted in the Navy), another trade that requires perfect color vision.

To my eye the differences are blatantly obvious, the reason I chose dark screenshots was the original poster (wherever he went) said "how do i put it dark???" which I assumed meant it was too bright at night or something. There's a gamma slider to make everything darker, but near as I can tell the only thing that affects contrast is the post process filter on/off button.

For those of you who can't see the color difference in the textures, try this test;

https://colormax.org/color-blind-test/

KaleunMarco
06-26-19, 07:56 PM
There's a gamma slider to make everything darker, but near as I can tell the only thing that affects contrast is the post process filter on/off button.

thank you for the explanation. so, who can explain what the gamma slider is supposed to do, other than "it makes every thing darker"? {no disrespect intended}:salute:

propbeanie
06-27-19, 10:24 AM
My understanding of gamma as it relates to computer displays is similar to photography, in that it is a measure of "contrast", but as it relates to "color intensity". It can reduce the number of colors used when turned down, and likewise when turned up. Basically a matter of preference, but doing the extremes will "blend" more colors that are similar together. Greys turn to black, light colors toward white, etc... I think... :salute:

Sniper297
06-27-19, 09:16 PM
Official definition;

"Gamma changes the difference between dark and light areas. Increasing Gamma makes dark areas darker and light areas lighter. It's more akin to contrast than anything.

Brightness decreases the range of lightness without changing the starting dark point."

Main purpose of a gamma slider in video games is to compensate for display differences, video cards, monitors, lighting in the room the computer is in, all effect how bright or dim the display appears.

Post process filtering;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_post-processing