PDA

View Full Version : Order of Precedence

ShotMagnet
01-07-19, 11:01 AM
Does it matter when I open the bow caps, preparatory to launching torpedoes?

I'm wondering because I got what looked like perfect solutions on a target, but I input the launch parameters after I had opened the tube caps. The torpedoes went and chased a target in Honolulu, which I couldn't account for until I asked myself if range, depth, AOB, etc, need to be given to the torpedo before the cap is opened.

Shot

KaleunMarco
01-07-19, 12:40 PM
Does it matter when I open the bow caps, preparatory to launching torpedoes?

I'm wondering because I got what looked like perfect solutions on a target, but I input the launch parameters after I had opened the tube caps. The torpedoes went and chased a target in Honolulu, which I couldn't account for until I asked myself if range, depth, AOB, etc, need to be given to the torpedo

Shot

it would appear that you did everything correctly.
it's the torpedos issue(s).
if you are playing pre-late-1943, it the torpedos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_14_torpedo

merc4ulfate
01-07-19, 12:57 PM
it would appear that you did everything correctly.
it's the torpedos issue(s).
if you are playing pre-late-1943, it the torpedos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_14_torpedo

In the game it doesn't matter.

fireftr18
01-07-19, 07:07 PM
Solution entered assumes the tubes are open. You want to open the tubes before you fire. The doors opening delays the torpedo firing and the delay will affect the tracking of the torpedo.

KaleunMarco
01-07-19, 08:09 PM
Solution entered assumes the tubes are open. You want to open the tubes before you fire. The doors opening delays the torpedo firing and the delay will affect the tracking of the torpedo.
not all mod sets will fire a torpedo when the doors are closed.
some will not fire a torpedo unless the player opens the doors.

ShotMagnet
01-07-19, 11:30 PM
For some parallax; I shot three fish at a small freighter. The caps were closed while the adjustments were input. I engaged the target at something like 450 yards.

All three missed. I presume that they under-ran the target, and/or that the magnetic exploders failed to work.

Captain Honked-Off Me battle-surfaced and killed the hapless transport with the deck gun; but I also noted on the attack map that at least two of the three weapons launched should have hit.

In this case, I...wait for it...damn the torpedoes.

Sorry, I had to.

Shot

propbeanie
01-08-19, 10:24 AM
... and perhaps you were a bit in too close, and maybe the torps did not arm before they reached the target. :salute:

ShotMagnet
01-08-19, 06:17 PM
There's a thought. How far away do I have to be in order for them to arm?

Shot

Rockin Robbins
01-08-19, 06:50 PM
At least 400 yards ought to do it.:up:

ShotMagnet
01-08-19, 07:48 PM
OK, good to know. I'm sure it's probably in the manual, which only means that I haven't read the manual carefully.

Shot

KaleunMarco
01-08-19, 08:31 PM
For some parallax; I shot three fish at a small freighter. The caps were closed while the adjustments were input. I engaged the target at something like 450 yards.

All three missed. I presume that they under-ran the target, and/or that the magnetic exploders failed to work.

Captain Honked-Off Me battle-surfaced and killed the hapless transport with the deck gun; but I also noted on the attack map that at least two of the three weapons launched should have hit.

In this case, I...wait for it...damn the torpedoes.

Sorry, I had to.

Shot
hint: go to the career-options screen and turn on event camera. then you can see if your fish went deep or dudded against the target.

ShotMagnet
01-08-19, 09:26 PM
Also good to know. Thanks.

Shot

propbeanie
01-08-19, 10:24 PM
... and the manual seems to skip some of the more important points of submarine warfare, preferring that you deal with things the way the Asiatic Fleet did in December 1941... :o - kind of on your own... If a target is traveling toward you as you shoot at it, it will close (naturally) and the torpedo closes on it, so take that 450 when you shot shortens up to 400 fast. Not so important if you do a near-90 shot. :salute: