PDA

View Full Version : Boat names when getting a new command

Tucker
11-13-18, 06:15 PM
So it seems like every campaign I have, after my initial boat, every single new command is for the lead boat in whatever class it is. Is this normal or have I run into some kinda bug with the naming algorithm.

So for example in my current campaign, I started in Manila in 1941 with an S Class boat. That one was a randomly assigned S Class boat, S-36. Then in May of 1943 I’m given the command of USS Gar, the lead boat in her subclass. Then in January of 44, I’m given command of USS Gato, the lead boat in her class. After that in July I’m given the command of USS Balao also the lead boat of her class. And then finally I’m playing with RFB so I’m given command of USS Tench, the lead boat of the Tench class. In February of 45. Is this normal?

I’ve been given the lead boat of every class/subclass even when I’m getting the command months or even years after they have been commissioned and there are newer commissioned boats of the same class available. Like I would understand this if I was given USS Gato in early-mid 42, and then Balao in mid 43 not 1944. They had newly commissioned Gatos and Balaos that needed captains not the lead boats. And this seems to happen with every play through so I don’t think it’s a one time fluke.

KaleunMarco
11-13-18, 11:26 PM
So it seems like every campaign I have, after my initial boat, every single new command is for the lead boat in whatever class it is. Is this normal or have I run into some kinda bug with the naming algorithm.

So for example in my current campaign, I started in Manila in 1941 with an S Class boat. That one was a randomly assigned S Class boat, S-36. Then in May of 1943 I’m given the command of USS Gar, the lead boat in her subclass. Then in January of 44, I’m given command of USS Gato, the lead boat in her class. After that in July I’m given the command of USS Balao also the lead boat of her class. And then finally I’m playing with RFB so I’m given command of USS Tench, the lead boat of the Tench class. In February of 45. Is this normal?

I’ve been given the lead boat of every class/subclass even when I’m getting the command months or even years after they have been commissioned and there are newer commissioned boats of the same class available. Like I would understand this if I was given USS Gato in early-mid 42, and then Balao in mid 43 not 1944. They had newly commissioned Gatos and Balaos that needed captains not the lead boats. And this seems to happen with every play through so I don’t think it’s a one time fluke.
tucker,

welcome to Subsim.

yes, there is a tool where you can change your subname but it is not a Subsim download. if you are interested, send me a personal message and i will reply with the link.

good luck.

mb

fitzcarraldo
11-14-18, 11:38 AM
Search the file in your main SH4 directory:

Your SH4 folder\Data\Roster\American\Submarine\Your class of boat

Example: Gato class---->SSGato.cfg

In this file, delete all the name units you don't like. In my cfg file, I always want the Silversides, so the file is:

[UnitClass]
ClassName=SSGato
UnitType=200
AppearanceDate=19411101
DisappearanceDate=19721015
DisplayName=US Gato

[Texture 1]
TextureName=data/Submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato_T01.tga
LightmapTextureName=data/Submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato_O01.tga
StartDate=19411231
EndDate=19421231
Frequency=1

[Texture 2]
TextureName=data/Submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato_T02.tga
LightmapTextureName=data/Submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato_O01.tga
StartDate=19430101
EndDate=19601231
Frequency=1

[Unit 1]
Name=USS Silversides (SS-236)
DOC=19411101
DOD=19460216

;************ The End ************

You can delete all the subs you don´t like and leave all you like. Do you want to send Mush Morton to a desktop work? Leave only the Wahoo. Do you like to command the Barb and don´t leave that badass Flucky Fluckey take your sub? Leave only the Barb. Also you can replace a sub with your own name, for example SS-777 USS Onkel Neal.

It works restarting campaign.

Good luck!

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

torpedobait
11-15-18, 02:29 PM

This might also happen if you had very successful careers in your previous boats, such that the first time you are eligible, the class-name boat is also the first available. I find that if I don't become a tonnage hog but assume normal actions as a real skipper might, my tonnage becomes less, I don't get the new boats so soon, and the names vary considerably.

Just another theory! Good hunting.

BarracudaUAK
11-21-18, 01:20 AM
So it seems like every campaign I have, after my initial boat, every single new command is for the lead boat in whatever class it is.

All that comes to mind is:

"He's taken out the lead boat in each new sub class for the last 10 years..."

I haven't seen that movie in years... I've got it around here somewhere...:hmmm:

I'm off to dig...:arrgh!:

Barracuda

mikesn9
11-21-18, 06:07 AM
All that comes to mind is:

"He's taken out the lead boat in each new sub class for the last 10 years..."

I haven't seen that movie in years... I've got it around here somewhere...:hmmm:

I'm off to dig...:arrgh!:

Barracuda

And it's a great movie!