PDA

View Full Version : Ahh Children....

Gargamel
07-26-18, 04:00 AM
Children are a blessing and a curse sometimes....

At my brother's 4th of July cookout a few weeks ago, he was drinking a hazelnut double IPA. I tried it, and about threw up. Even he said it wasn't the best, a little tart and sour, and he's a beer head. We get up to go do something else briefly, and when we turned around, Hanah, his 3 year old, was two handing the beer, guzzling it down.

We yell, run over, and as she's lowering the bottle, she says "Ahhhh juice...". Doesn't even make a weird face.

Later that day, He and I were in the kitchen getting something. I had the fridge open, and she runs over and asks for a juice. I hand her a apple juice pack, and she shakes her head, points to the beer on the top shelf, and says "No, I want good juice!". She was a little miffed that she could only have apple juice.

She's gonna be trouble.

Now usually, I'm a whiskey drinker, straight or rocks, so when a family kid asks to try some, I'll let them have a sip. Their reaction usually guarantees that they won't want any more again for at least 15 years. Not this girl. He's gonna need a locked beer fridge soon.

Jimbuna
07-26-18, 05:57 AM
Nothing beats starting them young :)

But seriously, best keep an eye out and at least ensure all alcohol is way out of reach same as you would medications.

Skybird
07-26-18, 08:50 AM
Ask in a pharmacy for some stuff that is harmless but tastes bitter, unpleasant, for exmaple this fluid you can put on the nails of kids to make them stop wanting to bite them. Have some beer bottles ready and prepare them accordingly... :D

But make mental notes on which bottles are "drugged", and which one not.

Eichhörnchen
07-26-18, 09:29 AM
Recently Moira was surprised and baffled to learn from eBay that her bid of £9.10 was the highest on the list for a "Wall-E minifigures set"

We had to have a talk with him

https://i.imgur.com/6mvag3s.jpg In the end he got the set for just £2.50+p&p

Falkirion
07-26-18, 06:58 PM
I haven't run into this issue yet. Got a little one myself, 15 months old. I do enjoy my beers/whiskeys and red wines so they'll be staying safely out her reach until she's old enough.

Story I'd like to relate is of my uncle and grandfather. When my uncle was young, actually probably at the same age or slightly older than your niece Gargamel, he came across a beer that my grandfather had set down and drank the whole thing, my grandparents found him passed out in the hallway. I always got a laugh out of this when my mum told me about it but as a parent now it scares me to think of my little one getting into that.

Definitely going to have to padlock my drink fridge when she gets old enough to start trying juice.

Sean C
07-27-18, 12:43 AM
I'm surprised by this story. IPAs are generally quite bitter ... and a double IPA should be, well, doubly so. I would suggest letting her have a taste of some Samuel Adams Rebel Rouser ... the most bitter beer I have ever tasted. But, given that she already likes a double IPA, I don't know if that would do any good. :hmmm:

Eichhörnchen
07-29-18, 03:44 AM
When he was a kid, my wife's brother drove them all mad with a constant narrative of war sounds (aeroplanes diving, explosions, machine-gun fire and orders to "Attack!" and "Take cover!")

Now my boy does the same but it's usually dialogue from his games and movies. This morning I heard him at his breakfast in the next room: "All of you ... get in the car... now!"... "And if we don't?"... "Then I will crush him!" Then a bit later: "He is not weak"

I don't know what movie it was, and sometimes I wonder what the heck he's been watching

vienna
07-30-18, 01:56 PM
Sesame Street?...

<O>