PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 1803

itaylor57
05-30-18, 08:53 AM
Now SH3 and 4 present a black screen for me. It is due to the latest windows CU update 1803. This has happened before for me and nothing via settings fixed it. It happened about a year ago around the initial CU update. So I get to wait once again until an update might resolve it.

I do have nvdia but its driver is not the culprit.

I know some will try and provide some setting to resolve but the only solution is waitng for an update.
I also posted this in the sh3 section.

propbeanie
05-30-18, 10:29 AM
Did they change the "Compatibility" tab in the SH3.exe or SH4.exe "Properties" page? They've done that before, where they dropped support for Windows XP SP2 a while back, and if you had that as a Compatibility setting, it just resorted back to having nothing set, even though they changed it to "SP3". It probably is a display setting thing though, but in the Windows code. You could try to re-install DirectX9c and see if that helps any. Microsoft does NOT like the word "legacy" or anything associated with it. They mess with old firewire audio interfaces like this all of the time, to where if you have a "Legacy Driver" chosen for your LM16 box, Win10 will re-set it to the "new-improved" Windows driver during "updates", and then your firewire device won't work anymore, until you set it back to the "Legacy Driver"... Good luck in dealing with it. Let us know how it goes. Maybe THEBERBSTER has something already? :salute:

itaylor57
05-30-18, 11:40 AM
No it is not the properties settings, and I run via steam so I don't handle the direct x version.

I believe it is a windows thing.

THEBERBSTER
05-30-18, 12:36 PM
Hi Guys
This is a typical windows 10 Creator update problem caused by Microsoft updating your driver and leaving you with a blank screen.

This is not difficult to fix it is just finding the one that works for your system.

If you are playing SH4 then you will not need to use compatibility.

if you are playing SH3 then you must use compatibility mode Windows 7.
In all cases you should run your game exe as an administrator.
Post #6 Running Applications As An Administrator > Pictorial > Missing pictures replaced (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2407998&postcount=6)

A useful fix that often sorts the problem out straight away.
Post #412 Override High DPI Scaling Behavior > Pictorial > Missing pictures replaced (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2515223&postcount=412)

It is useful to know what driver you have installed and check that you gpu settings are still correct for SH games..
Post #239 Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings > Essential Settings > Pictorial > Missing pictures replaced (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2330173&postcount=239)

You also have the option to roll back to your previous driver.is a useful last resort fix, but first get check out what drivers are available from Nvidia.
Post #17 Total Black Screen > Sound No Picture > Picture No Sound Fixes > Pictorial > Missing pictures replaced (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2408009&postcount=17)

Make sure you still have Direct X installed, needed for all SH game versions.
DirectX 9.0C > Direct Download (http://filehippo.com/download_directx/)

Peter

itaylor57
05-30-18, 12:40 PM
Tis not the nvdia driver. This broke before like I said and until an update from the windows devs nothing fixed the issue.
Thanks for the potential fixes, I have been play this stuff since forever, and I have already tried those fixes to no avail

propbeanie
05-30-18, 01:29 PM
You've tried it all then... Except - If the game seems to load, but seems to hang at the 3D stuff, in spite of it being a Steam version, try the DirectX9c install again. "Updates" from Microsoft involve removing software they deem "legacy". DirextX9c is such, and the SH series is "Super-Legacy" :roll: If it doesn't get that far, and hangs at the start, it might be a Steam / Valve versus Microsoft thang, and you may have to wait for a Steam app update - DRM. Try loading Steam itself and log-in. Like you say tho - you might have to wait on an MS response...

itaylor57
05-30-18, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Yes I have tried all of the above. The game runs fine and has been in the past, its just the screen is black.

Just hate it when windows ruins my need for a SH fix.

THEBERBSTER
05-30-18, 03:12 PM
Hi it
Have you actually tried rolingl back your driver?
Post #303) GPU Driver Roll Back To A Previous Version > Pictorial > Missing pictures replaced (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2482219&postcount=303)
Peter

itaylor57
05-30-18, 03:21 PM
yes it was not the nvdia driver but the windows update. I keep tabs of what I change on my system, I am a retired s/w engineer of 32 years.

But thanks for caring.

itaylor57
05-30-18, 03:24 PM
I am running nvidia 397.93, I have tried the 6 previous versions to no avail.

itaylor57
05-30-18, 03:35 PM
Just tried rolling back to 391.48 still no Bueno.

THEBERBSTER
05-30-18, 05:59 PM
Hi it
This picture shows that you can update your driver have you tried that.
https://s14.postimg.cc/49sk8qb81/image.jpg

I am running driver version 388.13
What makes you think it is not a driver issue as you say you cannot run either SH3 or SH4?

Peter

itaylor57
05-30-18, 06:48 PM
My past history tells me so. In recent past I hit the same exact issue. In both instances the breakage was directly tied to a windows update. Neither time was it tied to an nvidia driver update.
I could be wrong but the issue went away and then reoccurred.

I may trash my current setup and restore back to factory and try to freeze updates maybe.

propbeanie
05-30-18, 07:17 PM
"Freezing" Win10 updates does not really freeze them. It only delays them, and for I think it's one week tops, else they boot you off-line and Win10 quits working... The updates from MS, while seeming to be the direct culprit, might actually sabotage the video drivers, which is why rolling them back works in some instances. The roll-back overwrites some of the Windows update. Similarly if it's a DirectX issue, putting the old one with the required files in it will overwrite and / or replace the new stuff. Windows comes out with an "update" that trashes the other guy's stuff, and then expects them to get into the new API kit and rewrite and update their drivers. Sort of like you write a procedure in C, calling certain compiler functions, and someone decides that the #standardio.h# no longer needs printing functionality, and they pass that off to a different header file, without telling you ahead of time. "Oh, btw, you're going to have to re-write over half of your entry point coding, since we dumped several of the functions you call in it." :o :salute:

ETR3(SS)
05-31-18, 01:08 AM
One of the many reasons I'm not upgrading to 10. Is it possible to uninstall individual updates like you can in 7?

THEBERBSTER
05-31-18, 04:58 AM
Hi it
Are you running GE-Force Experience by any chance?
You only need this if you are running the latest games so not needed for Silent Hunter ever.

If yes you can turn off driver updates.

Neither time was it tied to an nvidia driver update. Yes, I agree with you in regards to Nvidia updating your driver but in your case Microsoft has updated your driver not Nvidia as part of its latest Creator update.

This is the reason I keep on about being able to fix it.
This an LSH3 fix which is good for SH3, still worth a look.
The problem „L/SH3 show only black screen… but with sound“ (only with Widescreen Mods) is solved > Latest Information By Urmel. (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2501253&postcount=969)

This is worth taking a look at
More Information On Drivers And Settings (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2485325&postcount=917)
Downloading one of these working drivers will solve your problem.
Here is a link to download 378.92 which you can see is listed as working.
The download is a binary file.
Click on the link under the tabs to download.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/geforce-378-92-whql-driver-download,1.html
Peter

CapnScurvy
06-10-18, 09:39 PM
I realize this thread was started some time ago, however itaylor57 has not stated his black screen has been fixed.

I offer this workaround (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2491418&postcount=11) which corrected my Black Screen upon running the game after a Windows Update.

It's from my Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228888) thread.

I also have the 1803 Windows 10 version....no problem with the update running SH4 after having the game set to run in the Windows Compatibility mode: Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)

THEBERBSTER
06-11-18, 05:06 AM
Hi CS
I have never had a problem with Windows 10 updates having to run in any compatibility mode for SH4 or SH5 only SH3 is a problem and has to be run in Windows 7 mode and administrator is also essential on the SH3.exe.
I am also running the latest 1803 update.

Peter

itaylor57
06-11-18, 12:05 PM
still not working for me even trying the ideas posted. sh5 works fine btw.

I even uninstalled and reinstalled sh4 still no Bueno.

propbeanie
06-11-18, 01:16 PM
Where do you have Steam installed? Where do you have SH4 installed? Are you trying to run mods? Have you re-installed DirectX v9.0c? It comes with the Steam install, or is available from MS Downloads, or here on SubSim Downloads. As has been mentioned before, MS will overwrite and / or delete files without telling you. Some of those files are needed by older 3D games.

itaylor57
06-11-18, 01:20 PM
I reinstalled because I did have mods installed (which was all working before the windows update).
Which is why I did a clean reinstall to eliminate any changes I may have introduced into the install.
Steam has a whole folder with the correct version of directx so that is not the issue.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver.1803(OS build 17134.81)

propbeanie
06-11-18, 03:44 PM
Not the answer to the questions. Steam defaults to installing into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" on a Win10 box. Usually, the games come under that below the "SteamApps" folder. If this is where Silent Hunter is, no matter the version, Windows will not allow proper modding, and will do partial "roll-backs" of the files. Steam itself is "authorized" by Windows to make changes to your game. If you have "managed" your Steam "Library" to another drive and / or folder for the Silent Hunter installs, great. Things should work fine there. This is probably not why your screen goes to black though, just a contributing factor.

As has been mentioned before, the most recent Windows Update, and any performed after that, can and will delete files from your computer without telling you. Windows 10 devs do not want anything potentially "conflicting" left on your computer that would potentially interfere with the operation of the OS the way ~they~ want it. This includes video drivers and older DirectX version files. They don't just overwrite what is there, they remove any left-overs of old versions. This is why you sometimes have to re-install older video card drivers and / or DirectX v9.0c -AFTER- the Windows Update. Microsoft could NOT care less whether they break something old on your machine, and they seldom do updates after-the-fact that fix what they broke of the old stuff. In fact, if behooves them to do things like this, so that you go out and purchase the latest / greatest of everything, including games. None of the game companies, much less Microsoft, want you playing something that is 12-15 years old, because you are then not out buying something ~new~... Re-installing DirectX v9.0c will NOT overwrite anything new. Windows wont' allow it to. But it will re-install the old 3D library file that the Silent Hunter games need to run their 3D portion of the game interface. Similarly, if you go to a black screen for the menu, which is 2D, you re-do the video driver. This is why THEBERBSTER has been talking about the video drivers and rolling them back. It is so that the re-install overwrites what the Windows Update did to your computer, which was to remove the old "backwards compatible" files. Don't count on Microsoft or Ubisoft to fix it for you, because they most likely won't...

itaylor57
06-11-18, 06:33 PM
All my steam apps are on the D: drive.
I have tried a bunch of previous nvidia drivers to no avail.

As I have said I have encountered this same issue before and the only thing that fixed it was a windows update.
I am quite sure that windows has a bug deprecating directx behavior.
I did not report the issue I had previously cause I knew there was no "answer" to fix it and it was resolved with a windows update not achange to the nvidia driver.
I am not a novice, but a retired s/w engineer of 32 years.

I do appreciate the ideas to resolve though.

I have tried each post to no avail including reinstalling direct x etc.
I will gladly post when the fix comes just like it did in the past.
And I uninstalled and reinstalled over 15 nvidia versions just so you know.

Snow Rose
06-12-18, 08:56 PM
I was having the same issue. I just enabled Vsync and it mysteriously fixed it. If you cant even get into the game change the settings in the main.cfg in documents/SH4/data/cfg. It will be under video and change the "Synchronized=No" to "Synchronized=Yes"

THEBERBSTER
06-13-18, 03:34 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Snow Rose (Beautiful log in name deserves a mention here)
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2027002&postcount=1)
SH3-4-5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Aktungbby
06-13-18, 11:25 AM
Snow Rose!:Kaleun_Salute:

itaylor57
06-27-18, 06:35 AM
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver.1803(OS build 17134.137)

Nvidia driver

Still broken just wanted to update thread even though no progress.

THEBERBSTER
06-27-18, 09:16 AM
Hi It
In regards to your current situation there is no reason why it cannot be fixed its just a case of what solution works for you.
There will be one I am sure as I have never heard of any one to date having to wait for the next update before they can play a SH game again.

I would suggest you go through my tutorial fixes.
If your previous driver worked ok then you could look at a roll back which might be the best and easiest solution.

Both CapnScurvy and propbeanie from the FOTRSU team are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to giving advice on these types of situation.
Peter

itaylor57
07-02-18, 04:22 PM
Well it is playing now. I reinstalled the nvidia driver why it is working now I am not fully sure but glad it is. Thanks for all the support.

propbeanie
07-02-18, 05:38 PM
Windows, in its infinite wisdom, knew that you ~really~ wanted the xBox One (or whatever they call their latest / greatest), and decided to help you along the road to your decision by overwriting an important portion of the video driver (needed by 'legacy' games) so that you would get frustrated with those old games and want to go out and buy new hardware and software... I am being facetious, but only to a point. They definitely don't want to try to maintain 'legacy' driver "technology" for their 'modern' operating system 'updates'... sorry, I went back into 'legacy' facetious mode...

Glad you're going again! :salute:...

itaylor57
07-04-18, 05:11 PM
I spoke too soon back to being broken. I give up.

propbeanie
07-04-18, 05:25 PM
I hate to tell you this, but my sons Windows 10 laptop just updated again yesterday... probably a "fix" for the previous "update"... Not only that, but the video driver you put in may have just been over-ridden anyway by Windows. Check that again. I do not know if there is a way to "freeze" a driver with Win10, like I can with Wini7... Maybe THEBERBSTER knows... :salute:

hauangua
07-04-18, 11:06 PM
I found these solutions I hope can help someone:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/
(I solved with rollback drivers)
:salute:

propbeanie
07-05-18, 07:13 AM
Oooohhhh... good find hauangua! :salute:

THEBERBSTER
07-05-18, 10:59 AM
Hi h