PDA

View Full Version : Questions Regarding RFB w/ RSRDC

Kaptlt.Endrass
05-15-18, 07:35 PM
So, still edging into Silent Hunter IV from III (getting used to the map tools and general UI was a little difficult). I've chosen, as the title may suggest, to run RFB with RSRD, but am having issues.

First, let me state that I have a Steam copy of the game, and that I have these mods installed through Jonesoft. They install normally, though activating the patches makes JS state that certain files were already modded by previous versions.

The issues I'm having:

Going topside in base. Managed to mitigate this by the obvious fix of starting outside the harbor, but not my thing as I enjoy piloting the boat out myself.

When browsing the museum, various models of ships do not have proper texturing. In this, I mean that they are blacked out, save for the turrets and, of course, the crews of said guns.

When playing and using the free/ship cam, if I clip underwater, the game seizes up.

All of these caused a CTD, and as such I'm holding off on continuing play until I can get a fix.

propbeanie
05-15-18, 10:52 PM
If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll want to read CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2452635#post2452635). Sometimes, all a person needs is some more RAM to work with on their computer. He speaks to Windows 10, but it works in all 64-bit versions of Windows. The Museum eats up all sorts of computer resources - to the point that the game may not run after using the Museum, and the Museum usually won't run after you've played the game. This might be the only trouble... :roll:

However, just in case (forgive me if you already know this): the Silent Hunter games are installed by default into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" folder on a Windows machine. That is a "protected" folder, and any edits done by you or JSGME to cfg and other files are rolled back by Windows. Your dds and some other text-based files stay, and can make it look like you have an activated mod, but you won't. If you are in a Program Files folder, you'll have to move the install one way or another. :o

I have Steam version of SH3 and SH5, and in both cases, I "Manage" my game installs in the computer's Steam app, not the online one. You log into Steam from the Start menu, Steam and do it there, as outlined in Moving a Steam Installation and Games (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231) on the Steam site. It used to be that you could just copy and move the "common" folder of the game, but on my Win7 and Win8.1 machines, I had to do what they say on the Steam site. With the desktop, I "Managed" the move with the Steam app on the computer, and with the laptop, I had to "Move" things the way they say to... :salute: