PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a gaming chair

Méo
04-29-18, 06:33 PM
I've been at staples today and I tried one of their gaming chair and I found it really comfortable, especially for the back. But I don't want to make the same mistake I already did and buy a discounted one (not a gaming chair) and end up with bad sewing.

So I look on the net for comments and I found a lot of comments saying that gaming chair are only marketing hype, but all they suggested instead were ridiculously expensive office chairs (500 US $ and above, some at 1000$...)

So I was curious if any of you have good stuff/brand to suggest or bad stuff/brand to avoid?

I'm 5'8'' with normal weight and I don't need any particular ventilation (because I live in the north) and I don't want to exceed 300$ because it's not something I have foreseen.

Any thoughts? :hmmm:

ET2SN
04-29-18, 07:13 PM
Adding the word "gaming" adds 15% to the price of anything. :doh: I bought a Gaming Ham Sandwich last week and it was OK, just a lot more expensive.

Hit your big box and "club" stores and try the chairs they have on display. Then check online for that brand's pricing and find the best deal. :D

Or, start a U Toob channel and get 10k subscribers then start asking around for a review unit. Flip that on EBay and use the money to buy something nice. :k_confused:

Méo
04-29-18, 07:23 PM
Hit your big box and "club" stores and try the chairs they have on display. Then check online for that brand's pricing and find the best deal. :D

Yeah, but the problem is that a lot of people are doing this and no one have those on display now except staples (at least where I live). I even went at Best Buy and the the guy told that chairs they have are only online... like I won't go on site like newegg or amazon before Best Buy..:doh:

Cyborg322
04-29-18, 09:36 PM
Bought a Gaming Chair a few months ago from Argos. It looked the part, appeared to be well upholstered had height adjustment and what looked like a tilt lever for seat base angle [ It didn't it was just a simple spring tensioner ] .

My old chair was a fairly basic office chair but it was very comfy, this new chair I cannot stress enough how uncomfortable it is. What a bad choice I made , won't do that again.

If at all possible try before you buy

XenonSurf
04-29-18, 10:19 PM
What's really important with a computer chair (gaming or not) is: Your arms must rest in a 90° angle on the chair while your feet must be well on the ground. This ensures maximum stress-free and comfortable operations.

To get that result I don't think a 500+ dollar gaming chair is necessary...
And not to take seriously: If you want to do without a chair then buy a PS4 and put your big screen on the roof...:haha:

Méo
04-29-18, 11:40 PM
If at all possible try before you buy

What's really important with a computer chair (gaming or not) is: Your arms must rest in a 90° angle on the chair while your feet must be well on the ground. This ensures maximum stress-free and comfortable operations.

I finally found one that SEEMS good. But the problem, like you said, is that there's nowhere to try it.:Kaleun_Mad:

http://www.nitro-concepts.com/en/s300-gaming-chair-stealth-black/

HW3
04-30-18, 01:44 AM
Nitro S300 gaming chair is on sale at Newegg for $239.99 till Saturday.

Dowly
04-30-18, 02:23 AM
Everyone and their mothers seem to have one of those fancy DXRacer chairs, might want to look at those. :hmmm:

https://www.dxracer.com/us/en-us/product/1/gaming_chairs/

Jimbuna
04-30-18, 06:06 AM
This is the one I'm currently using, on £59 from Ikea.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/office-chairs/millberget-swivel-chair-bomstad-black-art-70339413/

kilerkg
04-30-18, 01:18 PM
I've had my AK-Racing chair for a few years now and it's still going strong, not really showing any signs of wear and it's had pretty heavy usage. I think it was around £200 when i bought it :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFFLOzrKViXI-z6rdoDXB7g341_0zps6VulfRERl6K_79BGS0c7A

Platapus
04-30-18, 04:52 PM
I am not sure what a gaming chair is.

But when we moved, we each purchased an excellent quality adjustable mesh office chair.

I agree with the poster above about about avoiding anything with the word gaming in the product name. Just get the best quality office chair you can afford and it will be good for gaming.

XenonSurf
04-30-18, 07:13 PM
It's like shoes: if they don't fit then they can look as super as you want, it's futile.
I would never buy a computer chair without trying it out onsite. Then, once you know what model you want you can buy it online which is surely cheaper and you can compare offers.
I got my last one in a furniture store and it took me 1/2 hour at least to try and sit down on a lot of them...It's especially important that the arm supports are comfortable, the arms not sliding away, and their high can be regulated.
Muscular deceases can come from false sitting position at the computer, if you spend a lot of time sitting it's really important to care for the best, only way is to TRY OUT the chair, every person is different.

Sailor Steve
04-30-18, 09:49 PM
I'm using a nice cloth-covered chair I bought at Office Depot for $130. It's soft, comfy and warm, has good back support and cloth-covered arms as well. No complaints.

XenonSurf
04-30-18, 10:18 PM
In European online shops there is generally a 14-day turn back guarantee, I don't know for US etc., but with a chair it may be simpler to visit a furniture store.

Jimbuna
05-01-18, 03:50 AM
Posting @#9 yesterday got me thinking 'It's about time you replaced the old chair' so I've ordered this one below (through the SubSim link of course).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IntimaTe-WM-Heart-Ergonomic-Adjustable/dp/B01EIXNZEC/ref=sr_1_34_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1525105059&sr=8-34-spons&keywords=office+chair&psc=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

Onkel Neal
05-01-18, 06:03 AM
Oh, that's a nice looking chair :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

I think ET2SN is right, adding "gaming" to something means a premium. Not sure how a gaming chair is better/different than a quality chair of any type. Are there features that gaming chairs have that most chairs don't?

And yeah, if you choose to buy it from Amazon, by all means use the Subsim link, (http://www.subsim.com/fire/) please (like Master Jim did). It costs you nothing extra and it pulls a few bucks out of Jeff Bezos' private island shopping account and directs them to Subsim. :arrgh!:

Commander Wallace
05-01-18, 07:50 AM
Adding the word "gaming" adds 15% to the price of anything. :doh: I bought a Gaming Ham Sandwich last week and it was OK, just a lot more expensive.

I agree with your logic. I have a real world application for what you just posted although it's not a gaming chair. Last year, as part of the routine maintenance on my motorcycle, I contacted the dealers and dealership part departments to get prices on parts. The parts people wanted $ 22 dollars for an oil filter of unknown origin and construction, $ 45 dollars for a thermostat and $ 60 dollars for " special " crankcase oil. I did have to be careful with the oil as as the bike has a " wet clutch " so special care has to be taken.

I measured and cross referenced my filter with an Automotive Wix filter which I preferred anyhow, cost $ 5 dollars. I used a caliper to measure the circumference of my thermostat and it's height. My shop manual specified my thermostat opened between 178-183 degrees. The auto parts store had a quality 180 degree thermostat for 6 dollars. I then used quality synthetic oil of the correct viscosity for $ 24 dollars as I needed 3.4 quarts and already had some on the shelf. Shell Rotella conventional oil works well and is much cheaper. Do the math. I saved 92 dollars and the parts I used work just as well if not better.

The point is, like you said, if something is purported to have a specific application, you can count on that product commanding a high premium. Comfort in a " gaming chair " should be number one and I'm certain, with a little prudence, a comfortable chair can be had for a reasonable cost. It just might not say " gaming chair ." :doh:

Méo
05-02-18, 05:42 PM
And yeah, if you choose to buy it from Amazon, by all means use the Subsim link, (http://www.subsim.com/fire/) please (like Master Jim did). It costs you nothing extra and it pulls a few bucks out of Jeff Bezos' private island shopping account and directs them to Subsim. :arrgh!:

I completely forgot about this! :k_confused: I already ordered monday from newegg... just few minutes before post #7

But be sure I'll keep that in mind next time :up:

Not sure how a gaming chair is better/different than a quality chair of any type. Are there features that gaming chairs have that most chairs don't?

Well based solely on few tries, I would say that pillows (one for the lower back and one the neck) helps keeping a more straight position. While it's not the most relaxing position, I feel like it could reinforce the focus in tense moments.

BarracudaUAK
05-06-18, 08:04 PM
Adding the word "gaming" adds 15% to the price of anything. :doh:

The only place I can think of that this does NOT apply is with keyboards.

Mechanical switched keyboards were very overpriced a few years ago, I've seen and heard of prices around $300.

My Thermaltake "gaming" RGB keyboard was only ~$100 (got it on sale, so it was less that $100 with tax), so in this case that is about a 66% mark DOWN....

As far as chairs I've always used either wheeled adjustable office chairs, or wooden dining chairs.

I find older wooden chairs, without pads, very comfortable.
If you are primarily playing ship/sub sims, then it seems that an old-style rocking chair might be the best option! :haha:

https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/39928926/resize-h600-w600%5Ecompr-r85/1405/14054834/Rocking+Chairs.jpg

https://d3o372dlsg9lxo.cloudfront.net/catalog/products/d4507/images/enlarge/58a74ba3bbddbd58d40003d6/D4507_120716_03_D4507.jpg

http://www.wellesley.edu/sites/default/files/assets/departments/alumnae/images/standardrocking.jpg

You can quite literally "feel" the waves!!! :haha::har:

Barracuda