PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Transit of Venus

Rockin Robbins
09-22-17, 07:29 PM
Just for fun, I've posted for the first time my video of telescopic observation of the transit of Venus across the Sun in June of 2004. This should be a boring video, but there is so much hilarious stuff going on, a looney lady who came to investigate "psychic effects" of the transit, a bug in my high tech projection equipment, speculation as to what the looney lady had in her coffee cup....I had forgotten about all of it and think you'll find it entertaining.

I had the Sun projected to 1000 power, about 18" in diameter with Venus 3/8" in diameter toward the last of the transit just after sunrise that morning.

https://youtu.be/acyByVSrB6s

Enjoy and ridicule as the spirit moves. We sure did!

Skybird
09-23-17, 07:35 AM
And I always thought Robbins were your first name! LOL

Jimbuna
09-23-17, 07:45 AM
Yes, most entertaining :)

Was that you at 23:45?

Rockstar
09-23-17, 07:56 AM
Great show :Kaleun_Cheers:

Rockin Robbins
09-23-17, 02:44 PM
Yes, most entertaining :)

Was that you at 23:45?

No, that's Looney Lady with her cup of questionable content.:D:D:D

I'm the guy at 23:37. And at 24:18 I'm holding my fist out showing my brother, Brad, how to measure the sky with your hand. it's cheaper than a sextant.....

This whole deal reminds me of when my astronomy club spent the evening at a local community college showing Jupiter the night of the Comet Shoemaker-Levy9 collision with Jupiter. We'd studied up on the event and didn't want to oversell what people were looking at, so we spent the night saying "See that black spot there? Looks like a moon shadow, but that's exactly what an impact site is expected to look like. The real ones are expected to be on the back side where we can't see them."

Woke up the next morning and found that the impact site was visible and yep, we'd spent the night showing an impact site to the public and telling them it was the shadow of one of Jupiter's moons. We are trained experts. Don't try this stuff at home, folks...

Jimbuna
09-24-17, 07:51 AM
I'm the guy at 23:37. And at 24:18 I'm holding my fist out showing my brother, Brad, how to measure the sky with your hand. it's cheaper than a sextant.....

That's a shame, I'd thought of a couple of quips about those skinny white legs that were on view :)