PDA

View Full Version : A Farewell to Friends

Kaptlt.Endrass
09-19-17, 04:24 PM
Well, about time I've said it.

In five days from when I post this, I shall be departing from the Subsim community to join the US Navy, perhaps even as part of the sub-surface warfare division itself.

In light of that, I'd like to thank all of you for the experience that Subsim has given me, in topics both related and unrelated to the genre of games we so love. Once more, I give many thanks to the crew of GWX, for the creation of an amazing mod that kept me hooked for hours on end.

The Bilge crew as well, thank you. Keep it up, you scurvy dogs...there's no one to wash your soiled clothes now!

Next time you all hear from me, I'll be somewhere at sea, most likely.

Cheers!

"There are three types of men in the world; the living, the dead, and those who are at sea." - Plato

Sailor Steve
09-19-17, 04:30 PM
Been there, done that. You could do worse. I can tell you in advance, the world is big and blue.

Best of luck.

HW3
09-19-17, 04:37 PM
Best Wishes! :Kaleun_Salute:

Mr Quatro
09-19-17, 05:08 PM
Be smart, study your butt off, save your money in the 10% overseas saving plan (if you qualify) stay on board the ship in foreign ports, don't go out at night, sleep in the top bunk, don't do anything that would embarrass your mother, send her a postcard once in a while, don't fall in love with anyone overseas and have a good time sailor. :up:

u crank
09-19-17, 05:19 PM
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and travels.:salute:

Platapus
09-19-17, 05:21 PM
Good luck and thank you for serving our country.

THEBERBSTER
09-19-17, 05:45 PM
Best wishes to you on your new career, keep safe. :Kaleun_Salute:
Peter

Gargamel
09-19-17, 05:49 PM
stay on board the ship in foreign ports, don't go out at night, sleep in the top bunk, don't do anything that would embarrass your mother, send her a postcard once in a while, don't fall in love with anyone overseas and have a good time sailor. :up:

Most of those seem to negate each other.....

Good luck Kapitan! :Kaleun_Salute:

Aktungbby
09-19-17, 05:56 PM
The Bilge crew as well, thank you. Keep it up, you scurvy dogs...there's no one to wash your soiled clothes now!
"There are three types of men in the world; the living, the dead, and those who are at sea." - Plato Well from the Bilge then: Plato got it wrong; it's "those who are ASEA."(adrift):O: Remember what you learned here at :subsim:; if you are on a destroyer or cruiser, make sure U R the 'hands on the wheel' quartermaster or helmsman on nightshift....:k_confused: My youngest brother was helmsman on a light cruiser, USS OKLAHOMA CITY and USS SAN BERNADINO, amphibious warfare ship; so it sorta runs in the family...'the only difference 'twixt a good sailor and a great sailor is ....ten seconds'!:arrgh!:
And do what Mr Quatro says!

propbeanie
09-19-17, 06:52 PM
Kaptlt.Endrass, thank you for serving your country! :salute:

Ditto the ditto of Mr Quatro by Aktungbby. Go and be careful! :yeah:

Reece
09-19-17, 07:52 PM
Farewell and Good Luck, I hope you enjoy your new adventure.:salute:

Onkel Neal
09-19-17, 09:09 PM
Well, about time I've said it.

In five days from when I post this, I shall be departing from the Subsim community to join the US Navy, perhaps even as part of the sub-surface warfare division itself.

In light of that, I'd like to thank all of you for the experience that Subsim has given me, in topics both related and unrelated to the genre of games we so love. Once more, I give many thanks to the crew of GWX, for the creation of an amazing mod that kept me hooked for hours on end.

Cheers!

"There are three types of men in the world; the living, the dead, and those who are at sea." - Plato

You are the real thing, my friend, my hat is off to you. Be safe and be vigilant, we are depending on you. And you will always have a place here at Subsim, hope to hear from you soon.

Neal

Kaptlt.Endrass
09-19-17, 10:52 PM
Thank you all!

I'll be sure to follow the sage advice given here. :Kaleun_Salute:

Eichhörnchen
09-20-17, 12:33 AM
https://i.imgur.com/5eZhvft.jpg

More good wishes from the UK, buddy, and do keep in touch. We'll miss you in the Bilge, for sure... fair winds, mate :Kaleun_Salute:

Catfish
09-20-17, 04:18 AM
Hello Kaptlt Endrass,
wish you fair winds and following seas.
With that name, do not sink british carriers, it could be held against you.
And remember, someone has to peel the potatoes..:03:

Seriously, all the best from Germany :salute:

Rockstar
09-20-17, 06:03 AM
Squid. :D

Jimbuna
09-20-17, 06:05 AM
Fair winds and following seas matey :salute:

Commander Wallace
09-20-17, 06:57 AM
All the best to you as you enter a newer and larger world. Mr Quatro, propbeanie, Neal, Catfish, Platapus and the others all said it best. Let us know how you are doing when you can.

To that I can only add, keep your eyes open and stay safe. All the best in your future endeavors as well. Remember, it's not just a job but an adventure. :Kaleun_Salute:
edit: Look into you Your MOSs, or "Military Occupation Specialties to see if you can get college credits for what you have learned. There should be the college equivalents for what you have learned. Take advantage of any college and schooling you can get through the military as well. College for civilians is expensive and as a vet, you are entitled to a college education in return for your service. If you decide to stay in the military, you may well be offered a commission. If you do all that, you should be well prepared for the rest of your life should you decide to leave the military.

Best of luck.

ExFishermanBob
09-20-17, 08:19 AM
Good luck. Enjoy it.

vienna
09-20-17, 05:24 PM
Be smart, study your butt off, save your money in the 10% overseas saving plan (if you qualify) stay on board the ship in foreign ports, don't go out at night, sleep in the top bunk, don't do anything that would embarrass your mother, send her a postcard once in a while, don't fall in love with anyone overseas and have a good time sailor. :up:

Wait..what?... Is Kaptlt. Endrass joining the Navy or a monastery?... :hmmm: :03: :D

Good Luck to you on your new adventure and safe voyages all the way. Thank you for your service and know it is appreciated and respected. As far as the above advice, boil it down to: Don't do anything that may require either bail or an ER, or both...

:Kaleun_Salute:

<O>

Red October1984
09-20-17, 07:36 PM
As an American, I'll say thank you for stepping up and serving.

As an Air Force guy, I'll say come join Big Blue when you finish your first enlistment.

As a brother, I'll see you on the other side. :salute:

Several people from my hometown area went in, two of them Navy...some of them Army, a few more Marines. Honestly, if I hadn't made my decision already, I'd probably have gone Navy. Beaches, port visits, travelling, etc etc. It sounds great.

Have you got your job/rating? (I'm honestly not sure what they call it) or did you enlist with an open contract?

fireftr18
09-20-17, 09:29 PM
Congratulations and thank you for volunteering for service. A lot of good advice already posted. Keep up with education. I have a cousin that started in the Navy right out of high school. He continued his education and got his commission. He retired as Captain.
:Kaleun_Salute:

CTU_Clay
09-21-17, 11:22 AM
:Kaleun_Salute: Kaptlt Endrass,

I too served in the US Navy, actually 11 years(59-70), and seen the world and took part in the blockade around Cuba during the cold war days. Some good advise has been posted before this post by some very good folks, so as a reminder, study hard with your training and continue to study after boot camp. There are a lot of adventures ahead of you. Be smart & sharp.

Thanks for joining our Navy.

R. Clay Reynolds :Kaleun_Salute:

Armistead
09-24-17, 12:37 AM
You will always have a cold stained smelly bunk in the Bilge!

Aktungbby
09-24-17, 01:02 AM
He will miss having his own cold stained smelly Bilge bunk dearly it after he encounters the rigors of 'hotbunking' in the Navy!:doh: :nope::Kaleun_Crying:

Platapus
09-24-17, 06:11 AM
Think of it as attending a small communal church -- sitting in your neighbour's pew. :D

Kaptlt.Endrass
09-24-17, 07:47 PM
As an American, I'll say thank you for stepping up and serving.

As an Air Force guy, I'll say come join Big Blue when you finish your first enlistment.

As a brother, I'll see you on the other side. :salute:

Several people from my hometown area went in, two of them Navy...some of them Army, a few more Marines. Honestly, if I hadn't made my decision already, I'd probably have gone Navy. Beaches, port visits, travelling, etc etc. It sounds great.

Have you got your job/rating? (I'm honestly not sure what they call it) or did you enlist with an open contract?

AF already tried to get me....well after everything with the Navy had been established. Told them the only reason I'd ever go Air Force is to fly an A-10.

My rating is CTT; cryptotechnology technician...and I can say that the background check for that was extremely thorough. After my first enlistment, though, I am planning to put a package into my command for the BUD/S program

@CTU_Clay: Going enlisted, but hopefully I'll be getting at least my bachelor's while in. I've yet to decide whether I want to go line or warrant officer if I were to reach that point.

Now, with North Korea being as they are, I may even have some war stories to share at a later date :doh: You never know!

This is it for me...early day tomorrow, and I've got to spend a few more precious hours with my family. Mum's a wreck, as expected. Thank you all for your support, thank you even more for your service, past, present, and future! Be glad to come across some of you in the fleet!

:Kaleun_Salute: Commander Neal, I am ready to be relieved.

propbeanie
09-24-17, 09:17 PM
Just be sure and use your rear-view mirrors and watch your sixes, please... Take care, and I give you my best civvie salute: :salute: