PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in WW2's Navy

swellfella
09-11-17, 04:30 PM
This must have been hit on somewhere sometime on these boards, but please permit me to vent anew.
:gulp:
It's always been a quirksome itch to me the number of guys in the Navy in WW2 who couldn't swim! :hmmm: Granted we were at war and could only be so choosy but... Jeeze, out on a boat, hundreds if not thousands of miles offshore in a time of war and you can't swim. How many guys did we lose because to this one seemingly prerequisite to water war.

I'm in the middle of research of Navy messman being trained in Norfolk prior to entering the wardrooms and shore kitchens of the Navy during this period and even these guys had to pass swimming classes in order to qualify for liberty.

And certainly subbers and the 100 foot escape tower was required yet I'm reading of at least one subber (a messman) who drowned after escaping to the surface from a sunken sub (Tang).

I'd appreciate any comeback from you guys on this for information sake and my morbid sense of bewilderment on a subject that on its face seems so self -evident and basic.

Buddahaid
09-11-17, 04:38 PM
I know what you mean. I was appalled at the number of kids living on the BVI who couldn't swim. My friends would always offer lessons when they visited.

August
09-11-17, 07:09 PM
From what I read the inability to swim (and the reluctance to learn) has always been common thing among sailors. The idea being that if your ship sinks out at sea, being able to swim only prolongs ones agony without realistically increasing the chance of survival.

Gargamel
09-11-17, 07:57 PM
Consider this though....

The ratio of sailors who can swim on their own is far far greater than the ratio of pilots who can fly under their own power.

Buddahaid
09-11-17, 08:29 PM
That's just not fair! Where's my safe zone....:wah:

propbeanie
09-11-17, 09:43 PM
Getting a dose of seawater in your face as you're inhaling while jumping off a ship probably has a tendency to take one aback, and if you are not a very strong swimmer, might even cause a panic. I inhaled seawater through my snorkle (quite by accident - the wife was on the other side of the cove) while on vacation in Hawaii. Talk about ruining the day! I like to never recovered for a week. That salt water getting into me took it out of me way more than freshwater ever did swimming or kayaking. Also, don't forget, there's supposed to be plenty of life boats and life preservers on a ship... 'Course, they probably never mentioned all them bullet, cannon and torpedo holes in things, plus the fuel fires... and the exposure and the sharks... and don't forget about hypothermia in the northern climes...

Buddahaid
09-11-17, 09:47 PM
Not forgotten, but I surely would prefer not to have to deflect attention toward staying afloat, and put my mind toward salvation by whatever means.

Jimbuna
09-12-17, 04:49 AM
Consider this though....

The ratio of sailors who can swim on their own is far far greater than the ratio of pilots who can fly under their own power.

Beat me to it :)

swellfella
09-12-17, 10:40 AM
Ah know I stressed WW2, but I wonder how the same question reflects on the modern Navy? Any of you vets have any reflections on how the present Navy handles the idea? Like if there's an official or quasi-official stance on recruits being able to swim?

Certainly the old saw mentioned about what the bleep good is swimming if you're down in the middle of the pacific with no immediately rescue on the horizon...particularly in regard to subbers in a downed boat. But however prevalent this view among sailors of whatever stripe, me hardly think it in no shape, form or fashion the 'official' position.

Aktungbby
09-12-17, 11:49 AM
Ah know I stressed WW2, but I wonder how the same question reflects on the modern Navy? Any of you vets have any reflections on how the present Navy handles the idea? Like if there's an official or quasi-official stance on recruits being able to swim?

https://www.thebalance.com/navy-swim-test-qualifications-4056770 (https://www.thebalance.com/navy-swim-test-qualifications-4056770) No matter how you join the Navy, you must pass the swim test. Everyone must pass a Navy Third Class Swim Test. The initial test is conducted in basic training (boot camp) for enlisted personnel, and as part of officer accession training (OCS (http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ocs.html), Academy (http://www.usna.edu/), ROTC (http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/)) for commissioned officers. Third-Class Swim Test - A third class swim test is a test to determine if a person can stay afloat and survive without the use of a personal Flotation Device (PFD) in open water long enough to be rescued in a man-overboard situation. The 3rd class swimmer qualification is the minimum entry-level requirement for all U.S. Navy Personnel.
The third class swim test consists of TWO modules. Module one is composed of three separate events, a deep water jump, a 50-yard swim (using any stroke), and a 5-minute prone float. Swimmers who successfully pass module one may continue on to module two. Module two consists of shirt and trouser or coverall inflation.
A 3rd Class Swimmer is described as a person who can stay afloat and survive without the use of a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) in open water under optimum conditions long enough to be rescued in a man-over-board situation. The 3rd Class Swimmer qualification is the minimum entry-level requirement for all U.S. Navy personnel. :shucks: with the 'lack of certification' of two recently collided naval vessels due to lack of funding, I do wonder if certain basic training standards may have also been curtailed.....it costs a lot to fill a pool with water!:O:-AKBBY (former Y.M.C.A. WSI instructor and S.L.A.M SCUBA diver)

Eichhörnchen
09-12-17, 12:07 PM
There's been a lot made of this new advice by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution here in the UK recently:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-avoid-drowning-you-fall-10491690

But I... like many others... simply can NOT float, without some kind of buoyancy aid; even with my lungs filled with air if I stop paddling I SINK!