PDA

View Full Version : Happy Independence Day!

Sailor Steve
07-02-17, 09:06 PM
Same thing every year, reminding people that the Continental Congress voted for Independence from Britain on July 2nd, not July 4th.

On June 7th Richard Henry Lee proposed a formal Declaration of Independence.

On June 11th Congress appointed the committee to write the document.

Thomas Jefferson wrote the actual draft and presented it to Benjamin Franklin and John Adams on June 21st.

The Committee presented their revised draft to Congress on July 2nd. Congress voted for independence and then settled down to revise the document further. That night John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail:
The Second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the Day Of Deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other from this time forward forever more.

On July 4th Congress read their final draft and voted to send that version to the printers. The printed version was released to the public on July 5th. At the top of the paper it said "In Congress, July 4, 1776". Not one delegate wrote anything about it in diaries or letters.

So yes, The vote for Independence took place on July 2nd, not the 4th.

HW3
07-03-17, 02:07 AM
Happy Independence Day!

vienna
07-03-17, 02:25 AM
Same thing every year, reminding people that the Continental Congress voted for Independence from Britain on July 2nd, not July 4th.

Thomas Jefferson wrote the actual draft and presented it to Benjamin Franklin and John Adams on June 21st.

The Committee presented their revised draft to Congress on July 2nd. Congress voted for independence and then settled down to revise the document further. That night John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail:

On July 4th Congress read their final draft and voted to send that version to the printers. The printed version was released to the public on July 5th. At the top of the paper it said "In Congress, July 4, 1776". Not one delegate wrote anything about it in diaries or letters.

God, I wish Congress acted that quickly nowadays...

<O>

Jimbuna
07-03-17, 04:35 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Uub3Pf9.jpg

:O:

Catfish
07-03-17, 05:03 AM
So, when to congratulate? :hmmm:

Ah whatever: Happy Independence Day!

vienna
07-03-17, 07:33 AM

So, technically, the Congress voted for independence, 2 July, but did not make a formal Declaration until the publication of the final draft, 4 July. It seems to fall into the category of making a decision and it not being official until declared...

I'm sticking with the Fourth Of July as official idea...

<O>

Sailor Steve
07-03-17, 09:10 AM
So, technically, the Congress voted for independence, 2 July, but did not make a formal Declaration until the publication of the final draft, 4 July. It seems to fall into the category of making a decision and it not being official until declared...

I'm sticking with the Fourth Of July as official idea...
It could also be argued that they didn't make a formal declaration until it was released to the public on the Fifth. Technicalities aside, the Fourth is as good a day as any, especially since that's the date that is on the released document.

Many years later, in letters between them, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both remembered the Fourth as the day they signed the document. The funny part about that is that they didn't actually start signing it until August 2nd.

Even more so was the day they died. Adams, aged 90, and Jefferson, 83, both passed away on July 4th, 1826, fifty years to the day after the official date of the Paper they worked so hard on together. I think that is a main part of what seals it.

Mr Quatro
07-03-17, 12:46 PM
People around here started celebrating Friday June 30th and then I went to the grocery store Saturday and all of the food for picnic's was on sale, even paper plates colored in red, white and blue and 4th of July cups too ...

I still have my collection of glass jars that I wash out so I didn't buy any. Watched the auto race at Daytona and fell asleep waking up for the 153rd lap wreck in progress. I thought it was just a replay, but it had just a happened.

Sunday and Monday have been hot and quite ... I think everyone has left town. Fire works outlawed here due to the chance of fire.

Celebrate the day of Independence for sure, but don't forget the veterans that helped keep us independent :yep:

Sailor Steve
07-03-17, 08:40 PM
People have been setting off fireworks here since Friday night. Tomorrow the fun really starts.

Catfish
07-04-17, 02:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JMXd50P.jpg (http://imgur.com/JMXd50P)

:D

vienna
07-04-17, 03:50 AM

Many years later, in letters between them, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both remembered the Fourth as the day they signed the document. The funny part about that is that they didn't actually start signing it until August 2nd.

Even more so was the day they died. Adams, aged 90, and Jefferson, 83, both passed away on July 4th, 1826, fifty years to the day after the official date of the Paper they worked so hard on together. I think that is a main part of what seals it.

IIRC, there was little love lost between the two gentlemen and one of them, on his deathbed, not knowing the other was also in his final hours, loudly bemoaned the other would survive him. Now, that was a grudge...

<O>

Commander Wallace
07-04-17, 05:20 AM
Happy Independence day / 4th of July to everyone who celebrates it and to the U.S herself. :Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Cheers:

STEED
07-04-17, 05:44 AM
Clearly you guys need us Brits back. :O:

:up:

Jimbuna
07-04-17, 06:08 AM
Clearly you guys need us Brits back. :O:

:up:

Just looking at a map of the names of towns etc. should tell you we haven't actually left :)

u crank
07-04-17, 06:28 AM
Happy Independence Day. Happy 4 of July. Have a great day USA from your friends up North. :salute:

STEED
07-04-17, 06:29 AM
Just looking at a map of the names of towns etc. should tell you we haven't actually left :)

True, but they drive on the wrong side of the road. :ping: :haha:

Sailor Steve
07-04-17, 07:08 AM
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

IIRC, there was little love lost between the two gentlemen and one of them, on his deathbed, not knowing the other was also in his final hours, loudly bemoaned the other would survive him. Now, that was a grudge...
I don't think you do recall correctly. Adams and Jefferson were friends up until Adams' presidency. Jefferson opposed Adams' agreement to the 'Alien and Sedition Acts' and then waged the bitter campaign of 1800. Abigail Adams never forgave Jefferson, and the two men drifted apart. When Abigail died in 1818, their mutual friend and fellow Founder Dr. Benjamin Rush urged Jefferson to write Adams a letter of consolation. In the eight years leading to their deaths the two exchanged many letters and renewed their friendship. I believe that Adams' last words (if he actually made them) were from joy rather than enmity.

The Right side is the wrong side. The Left side is the right side. Got it. :doh:

Commander Wallace
07-04-17, 09:06 AM
Happy Independence Day. Happy 4 of July. Have a great day USA from your friends up North. :salute:

I think you mean " best " or " greatest " friends up North. :Kaleun_Salute:

Mr Quatro
07-04-17, 11:27 AM

Not true ... we drive on the right side of the road to keep from hitting the cars coming at us on the left side of the road. You English chaps drive on the left side of the road and even drive in the wrong seat, which is our passenger seat, in order to know that you are going to drive off of one of your narrow roads. :yep:

Why do you obey red right returning in shipping lanes and port and starboard on ships? :hmmm:

mapuc
07-04-17, 11:28 AM
HAPPY Independence day to all my American friends and others who celebrate this day.

Markus

Mr Quatro
07-04-17, 02:43 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fourth-july-two-us-presidents-104900125.html
Three US Presidents have died on 4 July so far, all Founding Fathers and two on the same day: 4 July 1826, the 50th anniversary of the country’s foundation.

Thomas Jefferson’s later years were riddled with ill health and debt. The third President died at home in Virginia, aged 83, surrounded by his family.

That same day, John Adams, who had succeeded George Washington as President and masterminded the Declaration of Independence, also passed away at home in Quincy, Massachusetts, aged 85. Tragically, Adams consoled himself with the final words, “Thomas Jefferson survives”, the statesman mercifully unaware that his friend and fellow nation-builder had himself expired just hours earlier.

These men would be joined by the fifth President, James Monroe, who died on 4 July 1831.

vienna
07-04-17, 04:22 PM

I don't think you do recall correctly. Adams and Jefferson were friends up until Adams' presidency. Jefferson opposed Adams' agreement to the 'Alien and Sedition Acts' and then waged the bitter campaign of 1800. Abigail Adams never forgave Jefferson, and the two men drifted apart. When Abigail died in 1818, their mutual friend and fellow Founder Dr. Benjamin Rush urged Jefferson to write Adams a letter of consolation. In the eight years leading to their deaths the two exchanged many letters and renewed their friendship. I believe that Adams' last words (if he actually made them) were from joy rather than enmity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fourth-july-two-us-presidents-104900125.html

Three US Presidents have died on 4 July so far, all Founding Fathers and two on the same day: 4 July 1826, the 50th anniversary of the country’s foundation.

Thomas Jefferson’s later years were riddled with ill health and debt. The third President died at home in Virginia, aged 83, surrounded by his family.

That same day, John Adams, who had succeeded George Washington as President and masterminded the Declaration of Independence, also passed away at home in Quincy, Massachusetts, aged 85. Tragically, Adams consoled himself with the final words, “Thomas Jefferson survives”, the statesman mercifully unaware that his friend and fellow nation-builder had himself expired just hours earlier.

These men would be joined by the fifth President, James Monroe, who died on 4 July 1831.

I do stand (or sit) corrected. My post was based on recollection and, as I age, that becomes a less reliable source. I had forgotten about the reconciliation and only remembered the conflict. My apologies...

As someone who has long touted the need to verify, I can only plead I was at the end of a long day and let expedience overrule reason...

Now, I must take my memory pills...

...hmm,... where did I put them, last?...

<O>

Mr Quatro
07-04-17, 06:02 PM
I do stand (or sit) corrected. My post was based on recollection and, as I age, that becomes a less reliable source. I had forgotten about the reconciliation and only remembered the conflict. My apologies...

As someone who has long touted the need to verify, I can only plead I was at the end of a long day and let expedience overrule reason...

Now, I must take my memory pills...

...hmm,... where did I put them, last?...

<O>

In other words ... you were wrong ... humble, humble, humble ... fits you :yep:

em2nought
07-05-17, 12:52 AM
Sarasota stores were soooooo empty this evening that I thought an anti-USA & anti-Trump rally must be going on. Surely all those Target customers weren't out celebrating Brexit 1776? :D

vienna
07-05-17, 03:10 AM
Saw this interesting TV ad by Ancestry.com in observance of Independence Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1PMt8bnz34

<O>

Jimbuna
07-05-17, 06:32 AM
Just come across this on a friends Facebook page and couldn't resist :):03:

http://i.imgur.com/PF5MGM9.jpg

Commander Wallace
07-05-17, 06:43 AM

Really ? You couldn't just be gracious like everyone else ? :03::haha:

Edit: BTW, we did The U.K a favor by giving Ricky Gervais a place to stay and hang out so England wouldn't have to deal with him. :03:

Catfish
07-05-17, 07:43 AM
Which underlines the fact that the rebels, enemies and terrorists of today ...

vienna
07-05-17, 08:20 AM
Here is a bit more of the story of the Ancestry.com TV ad and how it came about:

Founding Fathers' descendants unite 241 years later to re-create iconic painting --

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/founding-fathers-descendants-united-241-years-later/

STEED
07-05-17, 09:01 AM

No Tea for the Yanks because you lot threw it away.

Sailor Steve
07-05-17, 09:15 AM
My apologies...
If I had a dollar for every time I've been wrong on these forums I'd be rich now. :D

No Tea for the Yanks because you lot threw it away.
Every Christmas I buy myself a special present - a box of 'Boston Harbour Tea'. Davison & Newman Tea not only has a rich history behind it, but it's also quite good.
https://bostonharbourtea.com/

Mr Quatro
07-05-17, 11:06 AM
It's not over till the fat lady sings

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19731793_10213688813039412_8241871433259403930_n.j pg?oh=743afe88b01e7ebaecc7759b6d09356c&oe=59D3A96D

STEED
07-05-17, 11:27 AM
Every Christmas I buy myself a special present - a box of 'Boston Harbour Tea'.

Steve must have some British blood in him. :hmmm:

Sailor Steve
07-05-17, 12:53 PM
Steve must have some British blood in him. :hmmm:
Welsh, actually, along with German and a hodgepodge of who knows what else?

STEED
07-05-17, 02:39 PM
Welsh

Oh...Just when I was going to post to you a flatcap, Yorkshire puddings and black Pudding. :)

Sailor Steve
07-05-17, 08:51 PM
This is from Facebook. I hope it shows up.
https://www.facebook.com/WeAreThomasse/videos/1558008864241439/

vienna
07-05-17, 11:43 PM
Thanks Steve, for the find! :up: I hope you don't mind, but I did a bit of tracking and found the video on YouTube so it is a bit more available to those who can't access FB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4uvYA9BQRQ

BTW, the couple who made the video also make other sketch comedy videos; here's one about the USA and the UK having that awkward meeting of the ex's after a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu8X2RgqULw

The We Are Thomasse duo are bloody brilliant and have their own YT channel filled with some really imaginative pieces well worth the browsing:

https://www.youtube.com/user/wearethomasse/videos

<O>

STEED
07-06-17, 06:18 AM
So it all comes down to driving on the wrong side of the road! :doh:

vienna
07-06-17, 06:27 AM
.. and we here in the States wish you lot would just quit doing that...

<O>

STEED
07-06-17, 06:43 AM
.. and we here in the States wish you lot would just quit doing that...

<O>

Driving on the correct side of the road...Never we are crazy brits. :O:

vienna
07-06-17, 07:05 AM
Mad dogs and Englishmen, you know...

..and you lot really should also learn to correctly speak and spell the language... :O:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifLPGi4X6A

<O>

Mr Quatro
07-06-17, 09:31 AM
So it all comes down to driving on the wrong side of the road! :doh:

You are fishing for an argument aren't you Steed :yep:

Well your not going to get one from us American's ... we know we are right, because we drive on the right side of the road (except when we are drunk) all of the time. :arrgh!:

vienna
07-06-17, 05:58 PM
...er...umm...er... you mean we Americans are supposed to drive on the right side of the road?...

...oh, wow!... that explains so much...

<O>

Sailor Steve
07-06-17, 06:53 PM
Thanks Steve, for the find! :up: I hope you don't mind, but I did a bit of tracking and found the video on YouTube so it is a bit more available to those who can't access FB:

Not mind? I'm glad you found it. I looked everywhere and couldn't seem to track it down. The second one is great too.

Sailor Steve
07-06-17, 07:06 PM
...er...umm...er... you mean we Americans are supposed to drive on the right side of the road?...

...oh, wow!... that explains so much...

And why do the British drive on the left? When I was in boot camp they told us that it had to do with knights passing each other. If you're on the left side your sword hand is facing a potential enemy. I was also told that knights would raise their visors so they could tell friend from foe, which is the origin of the military salute. True? I have no idea.

Why do Americans drive on the right? Probably because the British drive on the left. :O:

STEED
07-06-17, 07:11 PM
You are fishing for an argument aren't you Steed :yep:

Well your not going to get one from us American's ... we know we are wrong, because we drive on the wrong side of the road (except when we are drunk) all of the time. :arrgh!:

Fixed by Jim. :03:

vienna
07-06-17, 08:34 PM
Can't we all just get along and, you know, drive down the middle of the road... :D

<O>

vienna
07-07-17, 12:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MPfG7wyflw

<O>

STEED
07-07-17, 06:18 AM
Can't we all just get along and, you know, drive down the middle of the road... :D

<O>

On one condition..Backwards while doing a crossword. :D :haha: :03:

vienna
07-07-17, 04:42 PM
So,....

...I should carry on as usual?...

<O>

STEED
07-08-17, 04:59 AM
So,....

...I should carry on as usual?...

<O>

You telling me you drive backwards while doing a crossword! Dam that was my idea, you be telling me next jim sent you a list of the best curry houses in the UK. :DL

vienna
07-08-17, 07:25 AM
You telling me you drive backwards while doing a crossword! Dam that was my idea, you be telling me next jim sent you a list of the best curry houses in the UK. :DL

No need, I Googled them... :D

...but, if needs be, I can send you a list of the best sushi bars in LA...

<O>

Mr Quatro
07-08-17, 10:29 AM
Come on people! This has now become the "last person that post wins" thread ...

which got closed down many moons ago by Jim (who by the way won) :)

STEED
07-08-17, 12:13 PM
No need, I Googled them... :D

...but, if needs be, I can send you a list of the best sushi bars in LA...

<O>

You can't beat a good laugh. :har: :har: :har: :har: :up:

STEED
07-08-17, 12:14 PM

vienna to post next. :) :haha:

Mr Quatro
07-08-17, 12:27 PM
vienna to post next. :) :haha:

When he's drunk or when he's sober? :haha:

Sailor Steve
07-08-17, 07:01 PM

I agree.