PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla missions a death wish?

Egmont
06-30-17, 01:50 PM
Hey Captains,

So I'm pretty new and going full-on no manual, just watching videos, etc. As a porpoise member of the Asiatic fleet, I learned to fully restock armaments returning all the way to Freemantle from my first completed mission, on fumes, and drop in at Exmouth for the second refit as the reserves are now locked into their respective tubes.

Why did I lose carrying capacity on torpedos? I think I started with 12 front and 4 aft and now I can manage only 9 front and 3 aft.

In Freemantle, I received medals for my initial missions complete and new orders. Deploy South China Sea. That is now complete, but I've fired on two small convoys on the way up to it. Now I have three torpedoes left deep in enemy territory with regular flight paths and pop up convoys and task forces on the regular close by, and my orders changed to destroy enemy shipping...
I'll barely be able to make it back, again, on the current fuel I have. I'm thin-lining it, taking the charge off batteries and everything. My route is good, it's just the distance.

Here are the questions.

If I hadn't reported the sinkings on my way to China Sea, could I have reported them after arrival and secured the second objective?

Also, I am literally in a skin of my teeth moment here escaping the area for the long way back to Exmouth.

Is this a death mission?

aanker
06-30-17, 04:13 PM
Hey Captains,

.......... Why did I lose carrying capacity on torpedos? I think I started with 12 front and 4 aft and now I can manage only 9 front and 3 aft.

......my orders changed to destroy enemy shipping...

If I hadn't reported the sinkings on my way to China Sea, could I have reported them after arrival and secured the second objective?

Also, I am literally in a skin of my teeth moment here escaping the area for the long way back to Exmouth.

Is this a death mission?
Yes, you accidentally turned it into a near death mission. You don't need to call home port and ask what to do when you spot enemy shipping. You are the Captain.

The Germans and Japanese had to report there locations which the US were able to intercept, decode, and you receive as Ultra reports on your chart; 'a Convoy reports its position and in Stock there are tails that roughly give the course'.

The US boats didn't report to HQ with their position every time someone burped and were known as the 'Silent Service'. There were exceptions, wolfpacks later in the War, but very little contact with home base. They either made it home or were presumed overdue, maybe sunk - 'lost'. If you think you have enough fuel & torpedoes to complete another mission, ask, keeping in mind it could be anywhere.

When you refit and rearm at a friendly base, you may have to manually move your torpedoes forward into their tubes and then hit refit again. Then you should have a full load.

Hope this helps.

Happy Hunting!

Egmont
06-30-17, 05:27 PM
Hope this helps.

Happy Hunting!

Hey, thanks a ton. :)

So, I'm on my way back now to Exmouth and thanks for letting me know the refitting torpedoes piece, makes so much more sense than making two stops to fully load.

I'm only making contact when I have ships down. Perhaps that's not necessary. I just thought the kills needed to be logged for me to get credit or something. I'm making a lot of this up as I play, kinda RP.

Love the game! And I haven't even modded up yet.

As it stands now I have 1 aft torpedo left and am heading for refit, took down a small freighter and missed once, so there go my forwards. The second objective in "Deploy South China Sea" is not met yet. So the plan is now to get more torps and head back up there.

I do make attacks not in the specific mission zone whenever feasible. I just wonder if I should be getting to the zone first and doing the bulk of my hunting there? Following orders so to speak, in order to complete the mission so I can give my guys some shore time.

aanker
06-30-17, 06:25 PM
.... I'm only making contact when I have ships down. Perhaps that's not necessary. I just thought the kills needed to be logged for me to get credit or something.

As it stands now I have 1 aft torpedo left and am heading for refit, took down a small freighter and missed once, so there go my forwards. The second objective in "Deploy South China Sea" is not met yet. So the plan is now to get more torps and head back up there.

I do make attacks not in the specific mission zone whenever feasible. I just wonder if I should be getting to the zone first and doing the bulk of my hunting there? Following orders so to speak, in order to complete the mission so I can give my guys some shore time.
You are correct, phoning home to report ships sunk isn't necessary, you'll get credit when you return to home base at the end of your patrol.

Yes, get to your patrol zone first, get close enough to the yellow star and stay there long enough so it turns grey, then you can sink shipping anywhere.

In Patrol type missions typically stay within 50 - 100 (some are different) nautical miles of the objective for 48 hours, then it should turn grey. You are free to go anywhere to sink ships. Usually 10,000 tons of Merchant ships.

In Sink type missions sail to within 100 (some are different) nautical miles of the objective. Once on station a second objective will appear telling you to sink enemy shipping. You are free to go anywhere to sink ships. Usually 10,000 tons of Merchant ships.

I always get in closer just to be safe and try not to use up my torpedoes before reaching the yellow star.

Happy Hunting!

Egmont
06-30-17, 09:11 PM
This makes sense. I thought I had to stay in area and grab as many kills within a reasonable distance from the gray star in this case, if you follow me, until I get the check on objective.

And you're suggesting I can be within range and wait for it to turn gray, not be moving all over the area? This could be why I'm running out of gas.

aanker
07-01-17, 08:41 AM
I can be within range and wait for it to turn gray, not be moving all over the area? This could be why I'm running out of gas.
Yes, You are correct.

Happy Hunting!