PDA

View Full Version : The Case of the Vanishing Crew

ijnfleetadmiral
05-30-17, 10:23 PM
Got back to Pearl Harbor in mid-January 1943 and was informed my sub was getting a cosmetic refit to reduce its silhouette. Once that was done, went to hand out promotions and awards to my crew and the crew management page had completely changed and no one was on it. Completely blank. Tried doing another patrol and it was like I was the only one aboard. None of the crew were present, though they were still listed on the roster. The sub systems page showed only the 20-mm. AA gun and none of the other systems like radar and sonar. Any ideas / fixes for this? Thanks for any info.

Here are some pics of the crew and submarine systems stations (taken with a digital camera):
http://i.imgur.com/iW1YP7h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1w7z8xF.jpg

propbeanie
05-31-17, 07:24 AM
Wow... did you have an encounter with The Flying Dutchman, and he stole all your crews' souls?... But seriously, I've never had that in 10+ years of SH4. What mods, if any, do you have installed? Did you have different mods previously installed?

ijnfleetadmiral
05-31-17, 07:43 AM
The only mods I'm running are the Crew Rank Fix mod and the Medals fix mod. This is my first time running mods on SH4 (just installed the game on a new computer).

propbeanie
05-31-17, 08:02 AM
Well, your posting in the other thread
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2487694&postcount=22
may lend a clue then. Which version is your "base mod" for the altering you did? Are you running Stock SH4 v1.5, with no other mods other than the Medals Fix? Where do you have JSGME installed for SH4?

ijnfleetadmiral
05-31-17, 09:27 AM
I have JSGME installed in the SH4 folder in Program Files (x86). It was the only way the two mods would work. I'm running Stock Version 1.5 (with the U-Boat add-on), as I don't have the Trigger Maru Overhaul or anything like that.

propbeanie
05-31-17, 09:59 AM
Of course, the easiest thing is to just look through your edits, and compare your edited files to the originals, both of the mod and of Stock, and see if you have some assignment aspect that you edited that is now "off". Compare your ranks to what's allowed. It might be that you have to have at least one seaman, and not have everybody at PO level or higher...

If you want to experiment (possibly a waste of time), you could copy the entire game folder structure - including the Save folder, to another area of the hard drive and by use of MultiSH4 v1.5 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1110), have a lab rat to mess with, and not goof-up any further the career that you have. I'd check your edits real close though. I don't think you'll be able to recover what you had as far as the current campaign goes, but you might be able to go back to a previous save where you had all the crew slots visible, and continue from there again... maybe. You never know until you try though. Just make copies of things...

Another thing, there might be crew assignment changes included with that new conning tower you got, so that'd be another place to check. You may have missed a file, and it overwrote a portion of what you did.

aanker
05-31-17, 12:32 PM
I have JSGME installed in the SH4 folder in Program Files (x86). It was the only way the two mods would work. I'm running Stock Version 1.5 (with the U-Boat add-on), as I don't have the Trigger Maru Overhaul or anything like that.
I recommend that you don't install SH4 in Program Files (x86), especially if you bought it from Steam. Make a Folder on your C: drive - I call mine Games_Sub and I installed SH4 in there. That Program Files (x86) folder is not friendly with JSGME or MultiSH4.

I'm thinking that the problem was caused by the install to Program Files (x86) and problems related to JSGME because of that. Also, nobody has complained about the crew mod before.

I've never heard of this happening since I bought SH4 so many years ago either.

Happy Hunting!

ETR3(SS)
05-31-17, 02:55 PM
:sign_yeah:First change your install directory as stated. Second, don't activate mods mid patrol. Wait until you get back to base first, then activate. Third, your tinkering with the game saves may be a part of it as well.

razark
05-31-17, 08:16 PM
As an IJN Fleet Admiral, making a sub crew disappear should be a good thing for you.

Did you install mods while in patrol?
Try starting a new career and see if that works. You may need to lose that particular save game.

ijnfleetadmiral
06-01-17, 08:39 AM
I installed mods before even starting my career. I tried starting a new career from the point where my old one screwed up (1943), but then I got a CTD. So I'm thinking I'll just reinstall the game, start over from scratch, but I'll start my new career in 1943...sorta-kinda pick up where I left off. But before I do, I got all the awards and my total tonnage and whatnot, so I'll just combine the two at the end and that'll be my total score. No big deal.