PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Reeman dies

Jimbuna
01-28-17, 07:39 AM
One of my favourite authors has passed away. I read every one of his books I come across over the years.

RIP Sir

https://www.douglasreeman.com/

Oberon
01-28-17, 08:04 AM
Pretty sure I read one of his a long time ago, based on board a WWII RN Destroyer, damned if I can recall the name but I always used to see them at the library and admire the cover art. Will have to pick up some more.

RIP and thanks for the literature.

MGR1
01-28-17, 12:12 PM
RIP.

Always liked his Bolitho series, though I stopped buying them at "Sword of Honour". My favourite has always been "Sloop of War". I have a couple of the books authored under his own name as well. Good reads!

Mike.

Commander Wallace
01-28-17, 12:42 PM
I wasn't familiar with his work but will look for it now.

Rest in Peace Douglas.

mako88sb
01-28-17, 03:38 PM
RIP.

Always liked his Bolitho series, though I stopped buying them at "Sword of Honour". My favourite has always been "Sloop of War". I have a couple of the books authored under his own name as well. Good reads!

Mike.

Yes, the very first "age of fighting sail" book I ever read was his "To Glory We Steer" and I was hooked from there although I did quit reading the later books after they started to become a bit too much like Harlequin romances. I've only read a few of his books under his own name. He will be sorely missed.

Jimbuna
01-29-17, 08:20 AM
Pretty sure I read one of his a long time ago, based on board a WWII RN Destroyer, damned if I can recall the name but I always used to see them at the library and admire the cover art. Will have to pick up some more.

RIP and thanks for the literature.

Possibly 'For Valour' North Atlantic ... Commander Graham Martineau has been awarded the Victoria Cross for pressing home an attack against impossible odds. Few survived the action, and the crimson ribbon remains a haunting symbol of the sacrifice of ship and men. Now, as captain of the crack tribal class destroyer HMS Hakka, Martineau must once again call from ordinary seamen the ultimate in courage, and prepare to defend to the death the vital convoys in the North Atlantic carrying sustenance for survival to Russia. There is no hiding place in these bitter Arctic seas, where a pitiless enemy awaits a final rendezvous.

or 'The Destroyers' June, 1943 ... The eight destroyers had seen just about every kind of action since they were originally built to fight the Kaiser's navy. To help pave the way for the Allied invasion, the veteran ships were transferred to Special Operations and sent to the icy North Atlantic. Were they picked for their fighting experience — or because they were expendable? Either way, Lieutenant-Commander Keith Drummond, captain of the destroyer Warlock, was determined to guide the old ships to their final glory.

Rockstar
01-29-17, 10:10 AM
RIP.

Mike.

Its been awhile, I picked up my first Alexander Kent Bolitho series book in mid 80's. Once I opened the pages I couldnt put them down. I stopped with "Success to the Brave" I still have them though they're now all in storage. I'll have to buy the rest and catch-up.

MGR1
01-29-17, 11:39 AM
Possibly 'For Valour' North Atlantic ... Commander Graham Martineau has been awarded the Victoria Cross for pressing home an attack against impossible odds. Few survived the action, and the crimson ribbon remains a haunting symbol of the sacrifice of ship and men. Now, as captain of the crack tribal class destroyer HMS Hakka, Martineau must once again call from ordinary seamen the ultimate in courage, and prepare to defend to the death the vital convoys in the North Atlantic carrying sustenance for survival to Russia. There is no hiding place in these bitter Arctic seas, where a pitiless enemy awaits a final rendezvous.

or 'The Destroyers' June, 1943 ... The eight destroyers had seen just about every kind of action since they were originally built to fight the Kaiser's navy. To help pave the way for the Allied invasion, the veteran ships were transferred to Special Operations and sent to the icy North Atlantic. Were they picked for their fighting experience — or because they were expendable? Either way, Lieutenant-Commander Keith Drummond, captain of the destroyer Warlock, was determined to guide the old ships to their final glory.

There's "Sunset" as well:
To the residents and defence forces of the Crown Colony of Hong Kong, the war in Europe remains remote. Even the massive build-up of Japanese forces on the Chinese border cannot dent their carefree optimism.

Yet one man suspects the truth. Lieutenant-Commander Esmond Brooke, captain of HMS Serpent and a veteran of the cruel Atlantic, sees all too clearly the folly and incometence of Hong Kong's colonial administration. To Brooke, attack by Japan seemsinevitable.

But, in war, there will always be some who attempt the impossible, even in the face of death. This is the story of one ship and her company who refuse to accept the anguish of defeat and surrender to a merciless enemy...Mike.

MGR1
01-29-17, 11:44 AM
Its been awhile, I picked up my first Alexander Kent Bolitho series book in mid 80's. Once I opened the pages I couldnt put them down. I stopped with "Success to the Brave" I still have them though they're now all in storage. I'll have to buy the rest and catch-up.

My dad started collecting them in the '70's and I always remember seeing them on the bookshelf as I grew up. I read my first one when I was in Primary 5, I must've been about 6 or 7 at the time. I ended up buying the later one's after my dad lost interest due to the increasing similarities with Nelson's life, particularly after the character of Catherine Somerville (re)appeared

Mike.

Jimbuna
01-30-17, 07:36 AM
There's "Sunset" as well:
Mike.

Yep, forgot about that one....cheers :salute: